Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Quote from: railsquid on July 08, 2016, 01:22:49 PM
Just a few electrickery bits, and maybe some scenic parts if any are on sale, I told myself, what with the need to turn down the pace a bit and concentrate on the layout.

But, Sea King and thou shalt find, as the saying goes, and it would have been criminal to ignore this:

33002-seaking by Rail Squid, on Flickr

at the price it was on sale on (somewhere between a third to a half of what I'd normally expect to see hereabouts, even for an older Farish design, British stuff is thin on the ground in this neck of the woods). Body is loose on the chassis, but otherwise OK, though the chap in the shop was bemused by the way I listened intently to it on the test track for signs of omininous clicking.

(I have a bit of a soft spot for 33s, as a Lima HO one was the first real loco I ever owned).

My Sea King is a perennial favourite that always surprises me how well it runs  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

railsquid

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 08, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
Quote from: railsquid on July 08, 2016, 01:22:49 PM
Just a few electrickery bits, and maybe some scenic parts if any are on sale, I told myself, what with the need to turn down the pace a bit and concentrate on the layout.

But, Sea King and thou shalt find, as the saying goes, and it would have been criminal to ignore this:

33002-seaking by Rail Squid, on Flickr

at the price it was on sale on (somewhere between a third to a half of what I'd normally expect to see hereabouts, even for an older Farish design, British stuff is thin on the ground in this neck of the woods). Body is loose on the chassis, but otherwise OK, though the chap in the shop was bemused by the way I listened intently to it on the test track for signs of omininous clicking.

(I have a bit of a soft spot for 33s, as a Lima HO one was the first real loco I ever owned).

My Sea King is a perennial favourite that always surprises me how well it runs  :thumbsup:
It's actually turning out quite nice, was a bit slow at first but is trundling around the layout quite happily now. Satisfying purchase  :thumbsup:

Drakken

I wanted a cheap project in case it went wrong but haven't even started and noticed this  :'( I bought supposedly a Class 114 then a 116 They look pretty much the same but together they don't my memory :(

Which is easiest or even possible to change to match the other?

Kris

All for £71

The loco is a lovely runner to boot. The older coaches and wagons will be sold on as all of my other stock is newer.

tunneroner61

Quote from: Drakken on July 08, 2016, 03:43:54 PM
I wanted a cheap project in case it went wrong but haven't even started and noticed this  :'( I bought supposedly a Class 114 then a 116 They look pretty much the same but together they don't my memory :(

Well both the 114 and 116 are Derby designed and built DMUs on the long underframe. The 114 were 2 car units (a DMBS and a DTC) all based in Lincoln and were of cross country design i.e. a saloon with only a couple of acess doors each side. The 116s on the other hand were 3 car high density units (DMBS, TS, DMS) with a door to each seating bay and were prevalent in South Wales and Birmingham. As they are both blue square coupling it would be quite possible for them to run together. 
You appear to have a 116 DMS and a 114 DTC. I'd ignore the difference in layout and concentrate on the refurbishment of them. I don't think you could easily rework either to match the other.  Strictly speaking you couldn't run them together as there would be no guards facilities. But who would notice anyway!!  ::)

HTH Norman

jrb

tunneroner61

<Well both the 114 and 116 are Derby designed and built DMUs on the long underframe>

Just been on the Hattons pre owned pages. They have a number of these kit built DMUs for sale, some powered, some not. Prospective purchasers should note that the Hattons descriptions are not always accurate - there's a 116 described as a 114 and another as a 101 - be warned.

Drakken

Quote from: tunneroner61 on July 09, 2016, 02:18:07 PM

Well both the 114 and 116 are Derby designed and built DMUs on the long underframe. The 114 were 2 car units (a DMBS and a DTC) all based in Lincoln and were of cross country design i.e. a saloon with only a couple of acess doors each side. The 116s on the other hand were 3 car high density units (DMBS, TS, DMS) with a door to each seating bay and were prevalent in South Wales and Birmingham. As they are both blue square coupling it would be quite possible for them to run together. 
You appear to have a 116 DMS and a 114 DTC. I'd ignore the difference in layout and concentrate on the refurbishment of them. I don't think you could easily rework either to match the other.  Strictly speaking you couldn't run them together as there would be no guards facilities. But who would notice anyway!!  ::)

HTH Norman

Thank you Norman very much appreciated and lot's of information, I'll definatley research both these more. The South Wales working is very handy for me as I'm doing a Sidings layout based in South Wales. I think your correct concentrate on the refurbishment and go from there. I might be able to purchase the other's I need to complete at a later date. But thank you very much for a weath of knowledge and very informative post  :beers:

Got this information saved thanks to you for my future purchases :)

The 114 were 2 car units (a DMBS and a DTC) all based in Lincoln and were of cross country design i.e. a saloon with only a couple of acess doors each side. The 116s on the other hand were 3 car high density units (DMBS, TS, DMS) with a door to each seating bay and were prevalent in South Wales and Birmingham

tunneroner61

<The South Wales working is very handy for me as I'm doing a Sidings layout based in South Wales. >

Pleased to help. The other 2 cars you need for your 116 were still on Hattons pre owned pages yesterday.

This is a good place to get onfo on DMUs  http://www.railcar.co.uk/

Norman

Drakken

Thank you  :beers:

I bought these two as they where cheap to be honest and wanted something to try repair rather than buy new, I think in total the other two I need are about £140 and I just can't justify spending that at the moment. I'm looking at a couple of Del Prado conversions and might convert them but just looking forward to the clean up process. I'll check the link when I get home I'm at work and I know nothing will get done if I click it now ;)

Much Appreciated  :beers:

johnlambert

Quote from: Drakken on July 11, 2016, 11:09:14 AM
Quote from: tunneroner61 on July 09, 2016, 02:18:07 PM

HTH Norman

Thank you Norman very much appreciated and lot's of information, I'll definatley research both these more. The South Wales working is very handy for me as I'm doing a Sidings layout based in South Wales. I think your correct concentrate on the refurbishment and go from there. I might be able to purchase the other's I need to complete at a later date. But thank you very much for a weath of knowledge and very informative post  :beers:

Got this information saved thanks to you for my future purchases :)

The 114 were 2 car units (a DMBS and a DTC) all based in Lincoln and were of cross country design i.e. a saloon with only a couple of acess doors each side. The 116s on the other hand were 3 car high density units (DMBS, TS, DMS) with a door to each seating bay and were prevalent in South Wales and Birmingham

Having seen your post, I'm quite tempted by one of the kit built DMUs that Hattons is selling.

Drakken

These two cost my £30 but the Kit Built DMU for £40 three car set is the other I was interested in. Maybe worth giving it a go  :beers:

gc4946

My Farish weathered 150/2 Sprinter arrived today.
Its unit number is 150 247 and the destinations are Manchester Victoria (dummy car) and Blackpool North (powered car)

A few weeks ago I also bought two Arnold continental European wagons, FS van on left and DB van on right, from the N Gauge Society Worldwide Group's event at Bentley (Doncaster)

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

mickster04

I will be doing a mini review of this delightful model soon, But i couldn't help but mention it already :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations