Steam layouts, a dying breed?

Started by portland-docks, November 27, 2012, 03:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Quote from: port perran on November 27, 2012, 07:27:32 PM
I agree with most things that have already been said.
I model late 50s/early60s because that's the period I grew up with.
It is interesting that many steam locos sell out quickly after release and are eagerly awaited by many people (eg the new Dapol Panniers). The major manufacturers also keep on churning out steam locos so they must be selling well.
It's great to see a good mix at exhibitions and shows. I for one quite like to see a mix of old and new.

According to a not too old NGS poll the most popular era by some margin is steam/diesel transition say 1958-68.

From my conversations with a retailer I know well it is very often the more modern stuff in a wide variety of of liveries that stays on the shelves and this is borne out by some of the bargain prices we have seen for 57s, 60s etc.

I do not necessarily think we model what we remember, I barely recall steam and green diesels at all, yet that is my preference. I think the truth is we choose to recreate a slice of history for a variety of other reasons too.

Personally I am happy to see a wide range of eras modelled, often for me the quality of the layout is as much of a draw - Stoney Lane Depot is a classic example, the quality of the modelling and attention to detail set it apart, even though it is a location and era I would never model it doesn't matter.

Regards

Roy

4x2

I think the reliability of some N steamers hasn't helped, Diesel/electric locos generally have less to go wrong...

That said, i'm sure even the most die hard modern image modeller has a steam special tucked away somewhere !

I love steamers, i'm an S&D man myself - but only recently have i thought of buying N steamers again, i just need that S&D 7F to kick start the ideas again !

It would be unthinkable that N steam disappeared - beeching was bad enough... :veryangry:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

moogle

:no: Steam will always be here.  :)

You see more N 'green diesel/blue diesel/modern image' layouts now simply because there's never been so much choice in those before being available r-t-r. When there was less of it years ago you mainly saw steam era layouts. It's a phase like all scales have. Steams increased as others have said by the amount of stuff that comes out now. The U.K outline N gauge market has never been so good and the confidence of manufacturers is clear by the amount of things they are bringing out both past and present, especially when you consider we are in a recession still!

As to modelling your youth as it were, I don't. I grew up with B.R blue and Notwork Southeast.
I model the transition era of B.R 50's/60's, 1950's Irish and Edwardian. Hardly my youth!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Oldman

I will always have steam.
Personal opinion because there is much more you can model,coaling stages,water towers, if you have space turntables etc.
I am not adverse to oil burners but as I prefer minimum space layouts they will be limited to shunters and single rail cars.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

longbridge

I think that while Preserved Railways can keep coming up with the cash to keep old steam locos going there will be loads of steam locos running on model railways.

I tried the diesel only thing and decided it was not for me. I now run steam and diesel together and have to say that if N gauge steam locos were a tad more reliable I doubt I would have a diesel on my layout, I grew up with UK steam.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

martink

Yet another issue is simply the ongoing march of time.  RTR steamers basically cover the period of the '20s to the '50s - say 40 years.  This isn't changing (with the odd exception like Tornado).  On the other hand, every year that passes brings another year of diesels and electrics and their associated rolling stock, with new classes and new liveries.  We have already had more than 50 years of this and this number is steadily increasing.  It isn't surprising that the proportion of D/E models is increasing along with it. 

Now if only some of the manufacturers would take a risk and start producing some RTR pre-grouping stuff...

Pengi

Quote from: martink on November 28, 2012, 04:17:20 AM

Now if only some of the manufacturers would take a risk and start producing some RTR pre-grouping stuff...

I wish they'd take a risk and produce more RTR post-grouping stuff - especially a Pendolino :veryangry: :veryangry: (I'll get off my hobby horse now!)
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Chinahand

I always have and always will model steam era but I haven't bought anything new for almost 3 years now because there have simply not been any new locos I wanted. The last one I bought was an Ixion/Dapol Manor. As older exhibition layouts pass their sell-by date they are, unfortunately, being replaced by new layouts which tend to reflect what is available now rather than what has been around for 10 years or more. There is also the reliability issue with older steamers and until they are replaced by new models (GWR Kings & Castles come to mind here) exhibitors will be more inclined to use the plethora of new diesel and electric locos that we are seeing.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Bikeracer

Apart from people doing what they remember from the steam era,I think it's down to what you see when a steam loco runs.
A diesel goes past it's just a box on wheels,a steam train goes past with all the big wheels turning and the complex motion that's attached to them it's more visually rewarding.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

PLD

In the main it seems that 50% of modellers think 'there are too many steam layouts' and the other 50% think 'there are too many diesel layouts'. That to me says the balance is about right!

Overall judging by the content of any typical MR show, the mixed transition period remains the most popular i.e. many modellers want the best of both worlds!

Quote from: martink on November 27, 2012, 04:18:50 PMAnother issue is that model diesels tend to be better runners than steamers.  I know a few people that have gone modern purely for that reason.
Personally, I dont think that is entirely true. A properly maintained model of a steam loco running on decent trackwork will run just as sweetly as a diesel model. Admittedly by their very design, the steam model has more delicate moving parts so is not as easy to maintain in tip-top condition and is more prone to damage through rough handling, and by its nature of relatively short and inflexible wheelbase more prone to stalling on dead-frog points or poorly laid track but that's hardly the fault of the model/manufacturer...

Paul

Karhedron

Quote from: Chinahand on November 28, 2012, 08:32:45 AM
I always have and always will model steam era but I haven't bought anything new for almost 3 years now because there have simply not been any new locos I wanted. The last one I bought was an Ixion/Dapol Manor
Not tempted by the Dapol Hall? They are nice models and run well (although a couple do have decoration errors).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Karhedron

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on November 27, 2012, 04:33:33 PM
I was planning to purchase a Dapol 9F but the models listed in their 2011 catalogue never appeared and I'm also waiting for them to offer one of the Britannias that ran over the Midland Line in the early 60s.
There are still 9Fs available in some shops. I suspect the reason the 2011 ones were not produced is that there were still plenty of models from previous runs on the shelves. Dapol ramped up production and dropped the price of the 9F when it seemed that Farish might be producing one. They are not hard to find, even without resorting to eBay.

As for the Brits, Dapol produce both early and late crest versions. If you want a specific loco, why just renumber one? There are etched packs available with names and numbers for many brits. This is easier than modifying a loco with painted numbers since you can just ease off the old plates with a fine knife blade and stick the new ones on in place. No mess, no need to touch up paintwork.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

AndyGif

steam layouts dying out...   Cant wait to see all the accurate N gauge Barry Island layouts.....

EtchedPixels

Quote from: AndyGif on November 28, 2012, 01:05:06 PM
steam layouts dying out...   Cant wait to see all the accurate N gauge Barry Island layouts.....

Thomas the Scrapped Engine  :P

Mainline steam is in time going to move from the realm of "memories" into the world of "historical research", but there are lots of people who like building the latter.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

zwilnik

Quote from: AndyGif on November 28, 2012, 01:05:06 PM

A Barry Island scrap line would be a pretty impressive diorama. Even better if it's done as a working layout with engines being shunted into the lines etc.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations