Running-In Lubricant

Started by ten0G, April 02, 2015, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten0G

Hi  :)

I'm probably very close to buying my first Dapol steam-outline loco, and have formed the impression it will need to be run-in for about an hour before it's fit for use.  To accomplish this, I understand that I need to apply Dapoil or similar in a few places beforehand. 

My problem is I don't reside anywhere near the UK, so I wonder what options I have, and what other Dapol loco owners who live abroad do, to solve the problem. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, thank you. 

railsquid

Kato Uniclean oil (catalogue number 24-021) does the trick, available from pretty much any model railway shop in Japan for about 300 yen. And yes, I have used it to run in Dapol locomotives :)

Greetings from Tokyo!

DesertHound

ten0G

It looks like you've found your match made in heaven in Railsquid!  :laugh3:

He's only "up the island" in Tokyo - surely there's a Shinkansen departing from platform 2 every five minutes or so.

On a more serious note, I'm not familiar with Dapol but I'd imagine you needn't be restricted to Dapol own brands of lubricants. I use motor oil on my locos with no I'll effects (see separate thread) but honestly, I'm sure one of the Kato oils will do just fine.

Railsquid is a fine fellow and I doubt his advice will be far out from what you need.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

ten0G

Quote from: railsquid on April 02, 2015, 02:31:47 PM
Kato Uniclean oil (catalogue number 24-021) does the trick, available from pretty much any model railway shop in Japan for about 300 yen. And yes, I have used it to run in Dapol locomotives :)

Greetings from Tokyo!

Greetings from Osaka!   :)

:thumbsup: I'll make a note of it thanks.  I haven't seen any model railway shops here, but there are two larger department stores which stock Kato I think. 

I need to buy a Unitrack pack or two so I'll be comparing prices.  I can't use Amazon UK because they refuse to deliver to Japan even though I'm ordering from a firm based in Japan!?   :confused2:

If you know any websites here I can try I'd be very grateful, thanks, but I can't read Japanese.   :(

railsquid

I'm not familiar with the shops in Osaka but there are certainly some there. Yodobashi Camera in Umeda will certainly have a big range of Tomix and Kato stock at hard-to-beat prices (don't forget the "point card" which gives you an effective 10% discount on the ticket price).

See also here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/forum/43-hobby-shops-where-are-they/

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on April 02, 2015, 02:31:47 PM

Oh, and don't confuse the above-mentioned "Kato Uniclean oil" with "Kato Uni Cleaner" (catalogue number 24-020). The latter is a mystery substance probably related to IPA which is excellent for cleaning wheels, track etc. but  is not a lubricant.

The "Kato Uniclean oil" is a small bottle which comes with a very fine nozzle for precise application of miniscule dabs of oil.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations