On this day in 1981................

Started by Newportnobby, March 23, 2013, 02:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Mike Hailwood and his young daughter Michelle were killed when their car was hit in the rear by a lorry. They had only popped out for fish 'n' chips. The lorry driver was fined £100.
Mike the Bike, as he was known, was one of the greatest motorcycle racers of all time IMHO.
Still very sad even after all these years :(

Jerry Howlett

A guy in the next town (who I have had dinner with) was an Italian Motorcycle racer in the 60's at the TT and the likes. He was a good friend of Mike Hailwood, his son is named in his honour alas he is no image of Mike or his own father. Rather fat and rides a Lambretta!

Good on you Nobby to remember.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Malc

Didn't he race formula 1 as well? Truly an all rounder. A sad loss to motor sport.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daveg

Quite right Malc.

I remember him but not the sad date.

A bit more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hailwood

Dave G

Bikeracer

A very talented rider,such a shame his life was ended so early and in such a mundane fashion.

I remember a TV showing of the TT one year and he was wrestling with one of the Hondas,the film was shot as he went away from the camera and that bike was hopping about all over the place.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

lil chris

Thanks for that Mick, I was a fan of mike hailwood yet I didn't know he died like that. Those where the days when mike would enter all classes 125/250/350 500 and win them all,not sure if he went in the 50 class too.  The days of the big 6 cyl 4 stroke Hondas against the twin cyl two strokes of yamaha and suzuki.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations