Possible computer worm

Started by Lawrence, February 01, 2012, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

If you get an email from my red.zebra@hotmail account don't open it, it is a worm that will email all your contacts automatically with info on a money making scam.  My brother sent it to me and it escaped norton and avg somehow

Apologies for any problems

Lawrence

scotsoft

I only have a hotmail account because I need one to access certain microsoft sites and one way round this worm problem hotmail is having is not to have any addresses in your hotmail account.

I know it is a pain to have to copy an email address into hotmail to send an email but if there are no email addresses it stops the worm dead  ;)

longbridge

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Lawrence

I have now deleted all contacts from my account and changed the password twice, if it keeps happening I don't know what to do.  Annoys me so much that this happens, if I was really to say what I felt I would have to ban myself  :evil: :evil:

scotsoft

I was sent an email by the people at hotmail giving me instructions what to do to get rid of the worm.

I don't have that email any longer and I can't remember what I did  :-[

cheers John.

Lawrence

Scans picked up win32trojan.agent so that has now gone from my pc, so fingers crossed.

Chinahand

I'm surprised it got past Norton. Which one are you using (Internet Security or 360) and are the virus definitions up to date ?
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Lawrence

My brother uses Norton Trevor, the email came from him  ::) and he is all up to date as it is the pc for his business so he was straight on to his IT man

Chinahand

Oooooh. That's worrying  ???

Just found this in today's Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2094982/Threat-new-virus-infected-emails-PC-DONT-open-attachments.html

It seems there is a new type of computer virus on the loose
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

scotsoft

zwilnik

Make sure that your email client is set so that it doesn't open display remote images in HTML messages for starters. That will at least remove the ability for a remote server to gain information when the message is initially loaded. Not sure if it'll deal with this specific worm as that could just be a problem with holes in the Windows mail client, but it certainly reduces the ability of spammers to get your information and closes one avenue of attack.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations