Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Yeah, saw that on the news!

Hope your vehicle was safely stabled?

This is indeed a country of extremes.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

And I complain about my soggy garden! Okay, we have been known to have the occasional 'bush' fire in summer and we get a lot of rain which does lead to flooding sometimes, but it is nothing compared to the weather in some parts of the world. I hope you are all reasonably well 'down under' and have not suffered too much.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

Chez Bealman 4pm this afternoon..... 43 degrees, smoke back worse than ever!

Bealman

Turns out it's not smoke. It's dust from the big dust storm which hit Dubbo a couple of days ago!

That white car of mine will be brown tomorrow!

Bealman

However, even though the sky is dark and red, nothing stops the bowling tragics!!  ;D

Platy767

I see the playing liveries have changed over time...

But seriously, another tragedy has occurred. A water bomber aircraft has been lost while firefighting with 3 US crew on board.

Bealman

Yes, awful. Americans who came here to help. RIP.

Graham

Just heard the news on Canberra, stay safe @Webbo

Bealman

Same from me.

Apparently we have another heatwave on the way from Western Australia. I know it's warming up here this morning here in Wollongong.

Webbo

Thanks guys

So far the fire is still some kilometers from the southern end of Canberra and no immediate threat, but things can change very rapidly if the wind picks up. On the morning of 18 January 2003, there were fires 20 km to the west of Canberra. By 5 pm that day, 500 houses along the western side of the city had been destroyed. We have three more days of bad fires days predicted by the Bureau of Meteorology so we're all keeping our fingers crossed.

The Orroral Valley which is being burnt at the moment is a beautiful part of Namadgi National Park. The fire map seems to show that the site of the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station is right in the middle of it. This is where the dish that collected the first images of Armstrong walking on the Moon was located.

Webbo

Bealman

Let's hope that's OK!

Let's hope everywhere's OK actually.

Platy767

Quote from: Webbo on January 28, 2020, 11:45:28 PM

The Orroral Valley which is being burnt at the moment is a beautiful part of Namadgi National Park. The fire map seems to show that the site of the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station is right in the middle of it. This is where the dish that collected the first images of Armstrong walking on the Moon was located.

Webbo

I haven't been that far south, but I spent a number of days walking back from Mt Corree and around Tidbinbilla before returning to Tharwa on my Outward Bound course back in '77. A lot of it was rugged and inaccessible.

I hope the fires are extinguished soon.

Mark

Webbo

We have a dirty great smoke cloud overhead at the moment that is turning the sun red. The good news is that winds have been unusually light today so they've managed to get control of the fire for the time being at least.

Webbo

Bealman

That's good. We had a red sun here several times.

Didn't know which was worse.... the smoke or the Dubbo dust!

Webbo

Not sure either. The reminder that someone'e soil is getting blown away or that the countryside is getting burnt. The former is not so bad as the latter I think. We've had both too.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations