Australian Wild Fires

Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

The fires continue. There's just no rain on the horizon, and water restrictions mean that the lawns have carked it, and Mrs Bealman has lost several expensive plants.

Still, many others have lost much more.

Bealman's street the other evening:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

exmouthcraig

Absolutely devastating George.

We have family in NSW and SA and its tense times for everyone at the moment.

9000000acres of land destroyed by fire  :'(

We have 300 of our 600 flooded, that's devastating for us but that scale is truly unbelievable.

Please god give these poor souls some rain and let the wind drop!!!!

Bealman

Thanks, Craig.  :thumbsup:

The local paper informs me this morning that Wollongong council have cancelled the New Years Eve fireworks.

Can't believe the idiots made a correct decision for once!

Bealman

1pm New Years Eve lunchtime, 45 degrees at Chez Bealman.

I've lived in this town since 1974 but have never seen it as bad as this.

Cool change expected later today.

Webbo

George, our idiots in charge have cancelled the fireworks in Canberra too.

Not only are they are a fire menace, but to me cancelling them is at least a token recognition of the efforts of  Australia's firefighters. Sydney's are going ahead. Too many $$s involved I gather.

Webbo

Platy767

43.2 degrees C here at North Rocks at 3:30pm....and the fireworks are still going to go ahead in Sydney tonight.

A 28 year old volunteer firefighter was killed yesterday. Married 18 months ago, first child is due in May. Absolutely tragic. Another seriously burned including his airway.

Mark

Webbo

3 dead this morning on the south coast. Have a look at the ABC news channel those that can. There is talk of having to evacuate residents by sea!

Webbo

Bealman

Yes, saw all this. As I say, this is definitely the worst I've known since I moved here. Just about every state is on fire.

Not a good start to the new decade.

Graham

45 yesterday and 23 here today thank goodness for the change, hopefully it makes it to you in NSW, just seen the news and 4000 standing on the beach at Mallacouta to evade the fires in East Gippsland. looks like a fair number have lost their homes. Then a QLD man tries to make his own fireworks, why??

Bealman

At the risk of starting forum angst, it's cause some people are plain stupid!

1936ace

Well it's certainly kept me busy. Spent last weekend with my crew up in the blue mountains on rail asset protection. We saved a lot but also a lot was destroyed sadly. Our hi rail fire appliance is doing another trip this week to allow rail bosses a first hand look at the damage
Sad day again with another three lives lost and others in hospital

Graham

thanks @1936ace for all your and your compatriots efforts across the country

Webbo

The more I think about it, the more I think the Sydney fireworks going ahead tonight is obscene. Let's face it, these fireworks are a celebration of fire and represent the indifference of a big city to what is happening in the country.

Webbo

exmouthcraig

Fantastic work @1936ace  :claphappy: tragic to of lost so many of your own in this seemingly impossible battle.

Without being political I do find the governments lack of involvement to Australias tragedy somewhat strange!!!!

They should of banned Sydney's fireworks days ago, yes it's bad for the economy and all the other tat they'll spout but losing half of your east coast is hardly going to cost $5 to sort out!!!!

Same with all the droughts up north, cattle stations going without hay for months, government did nothing about that and I think that's a real crime. Other then providing it from elsewhere in the country they couldn't of done alot but I'm quite sure more could of been done.

Hopefully the weather turns and lives can start to be rebuilt.

Happy 2020 Australia  :'(

1936ace

Thanks everyone for the comments. Back in 1994 when I'd only been on the job for 4 years I thought that fire season was bad. We had the January and later October fires that wiped out most of the east of NSW. This is been quiet challenging especially for the volunteer brigade members who have either take annual leave from their job or days off if they have a business themselves. They have been at it for way too long. Then there's the paid fire fighters who in the days off are member also of the local bush fire brigade so it's been a big dig deep effort
Fingers crossed 2020 bring us some rain

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations