Australian Wild Fires

Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Just on TV that fires are getting close to Canberra. Weather forecast for today is bloody hot. You OK over there, Ian?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Good so far thanks George.

Fires are expected to engulf Tharwa (ACT) as well as Michelago (NSW) and reach the southern suburbs of Canberra, but it does seem to be spreading mainly towards the souheast so we should be fine at least for today. In the first map showing predicted fire spread for today, we live between Weston Creek and Woden Valley. The second map of southeastern NSW shows that the areas burnt out along the coast really are extensive and are still burning. We hope for rain and keep our fingers crossed.

Webbo

Bealman

That looks pretty damn close to me, buddy!

Stay safe.

Rain is predicted for next week, at least here on the coast.

Graham

hopefully the rain we are having at the moment makes its way through to you, it started here late last night.

stay safe Ian.

daffy

With the news in the UK dominated (saturated?) by our leaving Europe, you would get the impression here that the fires were practically out judging by the lack of news coverage.

So sad to know that is far from the case from the posts from you guys.

Thoughts and prayers with you all, and all those suffering this awful catastrophe.   

Stat safe one and all.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Thanks, daffy. What a thoughtful post.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately temperatures have in the last 48 hours been extreme again, and the fire danger is most certainly not over.

We've been copping the EU thing here too in Australia, by the way.

Not allowed to talk about here  ;)

Lawrence

BBC news this morning had reports of the fire spreading to the peak of one the hills that skirted a residential area of Canberra so hoping all are safe and Sky News reporting the winds have picked up and blowing towards the capital now.
I guess with the coronavirus, Brexit, the Trump impeachment and the never-ending situation in Israel the news shows have a lot to cover right now.
Stay safe guys hopefully some of the rain from the coast or Melboune area (yeah I know it's a long way) will move on these high winds towards you.

Bealman

Bloody midnight and I'm reading your post, Lawrence, cos it'so bloody hot I can't sleep.

I love Australian summers!  ;)

Bealman

Nice cool change this arvo, and a decent amount of rain. Did Canberra catch it?

Can settle down in comfort tonight. Men's final of the Australian Open on, so no chance of a movie. Mrs Bealman will be ensconced in it.  ;)

Platy767

Friday afternoon and it's pouring down in Sydney. Hope some of it is hitting the fire grounds.

Rain predicted for the next 3 days. You ripper!

Mark

Bealman

Yep, been coming down all day here.  :thumbsup:

Bealman

The view driving up Bealman's street this morning. Normally this would not be good, but not so after our recent drought!

The great thing is that it's the same pretty much statewide, so the fires are getting a good dousing.

I pulled over to take the piccy, by the way  ;)

weave

Hi George,

Good news. Hope that flooding wont be an issue now although I'm sure your lot allocate for that sort of thing unlike ours. Storm Ciara is starting to hit us as I write. Probably very minor to everyone else in the World but am sure there will be chaos here as usual.

Glad your OK and hope you can all get back to normal if that's possible in some cases. All been very sad. Take care.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Bealman

Wots that song? I've seen fire and I've seen rain....

Been raining solidly all day, which is great, but of course now we've got flooding in many locations.

Here's the creek outside Chez Bealman. Notice that the watercourse itself is completely blocked by bullrushes, so the water has taken alternative routes around.

Bloody council spends hundreds of thousands on palm trees tied to lamp posts in the mall in the name of art, but can't keep the watercourses clear.  :veryangry:

Mr and Mrs Bealman moved into this house in 1981, and that creek has been cleared all of twice in that time.  :veryangry:

The lines on the picture are the bathroom flyscreen, by the way.  :thumbsup:

weave

Hi again,

So your councils ARE as crap as ours. If it makes you feel better, so far, our fence is down and the shed door blew off (although that was my fault as I forgot to shut it properly yesterday  :doh:. Don't tell the wife  :no:).

Again, take care.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations