Which reliable loco next ?

Started by MalcolmInN, December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Karhedron on December 16, 2015, 01:33:32 PM
Green liveried Std 5s were seen on the Western and Southern Regions, both of whom had a penchant for slapping green paint
Great info thank you very much, most interesting.

Defo a Rule 1 situation if I were to put one inamongst my LMS and or LNER in Carlisle !
But my interestedSO would be pleased as she had a mis-spent youth spotting a few miles down track from the Severn Tunnel :)
( Dont anyone let on that I know she really meant GWR locos when she said " can we have a pretty one next "  :laugh3: ! )

railsquid

Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2015, 01:04:21 PM
Quote from: Pengi on December 15, 2015, 12:58:50 PM
Kato do make kettles

Link

Don't know if it is what you are looking for - kettles all look the same to me, ugly :P
You're right Pengi. Those kettles in your link are pretty ugly!!  :P.
Its the Brit steamers you should be looking at... Bootiful.
:bounce:
Much as I like Japanese trains, the kettles are really an acquired taste, though they are available in any colour you want as long as it's a shade of black. For added variety you can pair them with colourful chocolate brown coaches, in later prototype years drab dark blue ones are also available. The models are technically excellent, as you might expect, and good value for money, though until recently the motors were often mounted in the cab space.

Les1952

Sorry about the typos on the catalogue numbers.

As to green 5MTs and 4MTs.  Darlington works didn't get any of these to mend until very late in their lives.  Consequently there was no policy on what colour they should be.  As a result if it was green when it arrived that was the colour it was repainted (or patch painted after cleaning).

I remember a pair of ex-works 4MTs standing on 51A shed.  One black, one green.......

Les

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Les1952 on December 16, 2015, 11:34:18 PM
Sorry about the typos
Not a problem Mr Holmes, you gave me an excellent excersize in deductive logic ! Yours etc Dr. W
:D

Quote from: newportnobby on December 16, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
I have the Std 5MT green L/C running number 73014 (372-728)
I wonder why they were sold out ( or withdrawn ?) so much quicker than the previous/other three ( 725, 726 & 727 )
and was the only difference the running number, 73014, was it much more popular for some reason, a famous number perhaps ?

Idle curiosity / too much time on my hands / nowt on telly  :smiley-laughing:

Karhedron

73014 was a bit of a celebrity engine as far as I have been able to find. It's final allocation was Bolton Shed where it's green livery was kept smart and it was sometimes used for railtour duty. I revise my earlier estimate as this was probably the most northerly green 5MT.

http://www.paulsalveson.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IMG_5704.jpg

There is a photo of it here at Willsden in 1962 and it seems to be in black livery (judging by the lining). I cannot say when it gained its green livery. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/14795363984

It certainly had an eventful life being allocated to 10 different sheds in just 15 years. I guess it gained its green livery during its stay at either Banbury or Oxley although 1965 seems a very late date for the WR to be repainting steamers green. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=73014&loco=73014

As for selling out, the Standard 5s seem to have been pretty good sellers for Farish with only a handful left in stores.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

railsquid

Quote from: Karhedron on December 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AM
As for selling out, the Standard 5s seem to have been pretty good sellers for Farish with only a handful left in stores.
I got mine from Hattons about a year ago, they were on offer for quite a while for 80 quid.

Slightly OT, but suspiciously Rule 1: http://www.train-photos.com/picture/number2943.asp

Zunnan

I have to say, the Farish 5MT is one of the better models out there. Mine have been practically bomb proof, and since purchase have racked up as much exhibition mileage as my Union Mills models with one notable exception...they work heavier loads than is inflicted on my UM fleet.

Don't discount the tender driven Black 5 or Jubilee outright however. A split gear on one Black 5 aside, my tender driven Staniers are older and far higher mileage than anything surviving in my fleet, all of my ex-Poole models have had work to keep them running. Those tender drives just seem to keep on going at present. They still operate the same loadings as my Std 5MTs, sometimes heavier, especially on freight workings. The B1 is equally as capable. But to be honest if you want something from the LMS, was express rated and painted Green and strayed into LNER territory day in, day out...I'd side with a Jubilee  ;)

One model that I really would recommend however is the Fairburn tank. And before you dismiss it as not an express locomotive, I am certain that I've seen photos of them hauling a portion of Yorkshire Pullman services to/from Bradford Exchange. Given the small black workday locomotives listed in the OP, this one I think would fit in better than a hulking great Pacific (no matter how much I love Duchesses) or a Jubilee. The Fairburn is equally at home trundling around with a few suburban coaches on locals, a pickup freight, or a portion of a crack express. The Farish model is absolutely fantastic too, reports of wheel wobble aside, that is one thing to look out for if buying. I have to say though that none of mine have issue, and I've not yet seen one with a wobble.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

MalcolmInN

With 45260 behind it "as a train engine", wonder what 'train engine' means ?! more googling needed ,,,

Quote from: Karhedron on December 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AMThere is a photo of it here at Willsden in 1962 and it seems to be in black livery (judging by the lining). I cannot say when it gained its green livery.
It certainly had an eventful life being allocated to 10 different sheds in just 15 years. I guess it gained its green livery during its stay at either Banbury or Oxley although 1965 seems a very late date for the WR to be repainting steamers green.
From the LNER forum :- " There is the odd case of 73014, sent to Eastleigh in 1964 in black livery from Willesden shed, emerging in lined green and returned to Bletchley."
with various speculations -  from running out of black paint (!) to gaining a replacement tender which was green, so they painted the loco to match ( !! why not repaint the tender black thinks I )
http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7003&start=15#p82035

PLD

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 17, 2015, 12:11:49 PM
With 45260 behind it "as a train engine", wonder what 'train engine' means ?! more googling needed ,,,
When Double Heading, the leading Loco (normally the smaller of the locos) is usually referred to as the 'Pilot Engine' and the second as the 'Train Engine'. Where a second loco is added for a part of the journey (e.g. a steep gradient) the Train Engine is the one that hauls the train (solo) for the rest of the journey.
The exception is (you've guessed...) the Green Weird Railway who did things differently and normally "put the Pilot loco inside"  i.e. the Pilot loco was added to the train between the 'Train Engine' and the first coach.

austinbob

A couple of observations about this thread..
Despite many past threads about dodgy locos (some from me) there are a lot of good experiences reported in this thread.
Secondly - nearly all the good locos mentioned are Farish!! Coincidence maybe??
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MalcolmInN

Quote from: PLD on December 17, 2015, 02:19:28 PM
When Double Heading, the leading Loco (normally the smaller of the locos) is usually referred to as the 'Pilot Engine' and the second as the 'Train Engine'.
Ah yes I see now, thanks great explanation.  :idea:

As an aside : you may all be amused to know that as a wee lad living 1/2 way between Shap and Beattock I thought that the processes of double heading or pushing from behind were called " banking ". Only later did I realise that banking was only done from the back ! (I think ! )

I have just realised, re-reading my last few, that I forgot to put in the link to the commentary on K's pic that mentioned the Train Engine, , , I'll be back later when I dig it out , ,

Quote from: austinbob on December 17, 2015, 02:35:55 PM
Secondly - nearly all the good locos mentioned are Farish!! Coincidence maybe??
Yes Bob, I had thought about that also !!!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Karhedron on December 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AMBolton Shed where it's green livery was kept smart and it was sometimes used for railtour duty. I revise my earlier estimate as this was probably the most northerly green 5MT.
How about Crew South shed !!
Only B&W sadly, but 1966 - so unless it had another re-paint in those 2years probably still green ?
If I am not mistaken that is NPN territory ?  and the southern end of my patch :)

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/moresteammemories.html

Karhedron

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 17, 2015, 03:32:39 PM
Quote from: Karhedron on December 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AMBolton Shed where it's green livery was kept smart and it was sometimes used for railtour duty. I revise my earlier estimate as this was probably the most northerly green 5MT.
How about Crew South shed !!
Last time I checked Bolton was about 40 miles north of Crewe. ;)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Karhedron on December 17, 2015, 04:20:25 PM
Last time I checked Bolton was about 40 miles north of Crewe. ;)
Oooops !  Sorry  :smackedface:  So it is !!
Now where is that embarrased emoticon when one needs it,,  :-[

My excuse ? = I've never been to Bolton :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations