Which reliable loco next ?

Started by MalcolmInN, December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Thanks guys, very interesting but you are all a bit ahead of my pay grade  :wave:  :-[
so forgive some dumb questions :--

Quote from: fisherman on December 15, 2015, 04:22:23 PM
the  std  5 locos are a good bet...
they were superb engines ask  the  S & D drivers!!!
which 5 designation/model(Farish number) is that please ? There seem to be a lot of 5thingies about.
and yes, I'll go question some S&D men in a book about them by Alan Hammond that my daughter bought me some years ago  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Hyperion on December 15, 2015, 09:36:28 PM
the tender drive tornado in the green livery.
the 5MT but still very nice.
So by implication there is a loco body drive Tornado version as well ?
and the 5MT is as Fisherman's ?

Finally (!) would I be silly to expect the Duchess to go round Peco 1st Radius ? better on the Kato (nearly)10inch ?  ( I realise that it would look silly, but is it one of those that would  actually do so ?)

Thanks.

Late PS ah! as I was typing the above 5stuff Webbo has some added some more , , , > reading >>

more edit, ooops and Roy and Bob and SillyMoo all have more 5ish stuff, would some Farish designations/model numbers help here ?
I remember the Stanier Black 5 of my youth ,,, but not in detail ! I was young and it was long ago !!

Les1952

The Farish  STANDARD 5MT is as follows-

352-725  BR black with late crest
352-726 BR green
352-727 BR black.  Website says late crest, picture shows it as early.

I haven't one of these myself, but ONLY because there is no evidence of them ever running on the line I model.  The similarly motored 2MT and WD I do have, (2 of each), and both are relatively trouble-free, apart from not being able to get a repair done on one WD because the circuit board has been removed to fit a sound chip.

Les

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Les1952 on December 15, 2015, 11:00:18 PM

352-726 BR green
Thanks Les,
So the famous workhorse Stanier Black 5 never became (or maybe evolved into ) the BR Standard 5MT, was that the Riddles one then maybe , , ,
I think I have some maj. Googling to do :)

MalcolmInN

352-725 
352-726
352-727
Eeek, a Google on those  Farish & #
gives no results :(

:confused2: :doh:

EDIT Ah !!
372-etc

Hyperion

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 10:47:32 PM

Both of the currently produced tornado are tender drive. Possibly an earlier version had the motor in the loco body?
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Webbo

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 10:47:32 PM
Thanks guys, very interesting but you are all a bit ahead of my pay grade  :wave:  :-[
so forgive some dumb questions :--

which 5 designation/model(Farish number) is that please ? There seem to be a lot of 5thingies about.
and yes, I'll go question some S&D men in a book about them by Alan Hammond that my daughter bought me some years ago  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Hyperion on December 15, 2015, 09:36:28 PM
the tender drive tornado in the green livery.
the 5MT but still very nice.
and the 5MT is as Fisherman's ?

Finally (!) would I be silly to expect the Duchess to go round Peco 1st Radius ? better on the Kato (nearly)10inch ?  ( I realise that it would look silly, but is it one of those that would  actually do so ?)

Thanks.

Late PS ah! as I was typing the above 5stuff Webbo has some added some more , , , > reading >>

more edit, ooops and Roy and Bob and SillyMoo all have more 5ish stuff, would some Farish designations/model numbers help here ?
I remember the Stanier Black 5 of my youth ,,, but not in detail ! I was young and it was long ago !!

The tender-drive loco I was referring to that I found to be deficient in the traction department was Farish part #372-136 which I bought about 6 years ago. Osborns still lists this loco although as being out of stock and describes it as "372-136 Graham Farish Class 5 BR Lined Black E/Emblem". Its more detailed description tells us that it is a "completely retooled new model" even 6 years after its release! I took it to be a model of ex-LMS Stanier class 5 (black 5) which is an ancestor of the BR standard class 5 (5MT) which is the loco released more recently by Farish and which are the locos listed by Les1952.

Webbo

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2015, 10:34:40 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on December 15, 2015, 10:27:33 PM
Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2015, 04:41:19 PM

they ranged  far and wide  and lasted well into  the   diseasal  era...
I agree - mines a great runner although its tender drive and I prefer loco drive.
:beers:

Hi Bob

The Farish BR "Standard Five" is not tender driven it is one of the latest coreless motor loco-drives.

Are you confusing it with the tender driven Stanier "Black Five"?

Regards

Roy
No confusion. My 5MT is a couple of years old - have they changed the drive system? Maybe I'm wrong about the tender drive - I'll have a check tomorrow.
:beers:
Checked this morning - you are absolutely right - it is loco drive. You learn something new every day.  :thankyousign: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Webbo

Hallelujah!

All is becoming sweetness and light. The motors are getting back into the locomotives which is where they always belonged.

Webbo

ScottyStitch

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 15, 2015, 11:07:07 PM

352-726 BR green
Thanks Les,
So the famous workhorse Stanier Black 5 never became (or maybe evolved into ) the BR Standard 5MT, was that the Riddles one then maybe , , ,
I think I have some maj. Googling to do :)

When designing a 'Standard' class 5 Mixed Traffic engine, Riddles ostensibly tried to take the Stanier 'black' 5 as a basis, and improve it. By all accounts the Standard 5 wasn't as effective as the Stanier and footplate crew weren't so keen on its performance. Although I do understand that maintenance was much easier.

In the end, and with hindsight, and like Lockheed's C-130, the only real replacement for a black 5, was another black 5!  :hmmm:

Newportnobby

352-726 BR green

I haven't one of these myself, but ONLY because there is no evidence of them ever running on the line I model.  The similarly motored 2MT and WD I do have, (2 of each), and both are relatively trouble-free, apart from not being able to get a repair done on one WD because the circuit board has been removed to fit a sound chip.

Les

Probably only available 2nd hand unless you strike lucky and find a shop with one left, I have the Std 5MT green L/C running number 73014 (372-728) :P

ScottyStitch

Quote from: newportnobby on December 16, 2015, 11:22:29 AM

352-726 BR green

Les

Probably only available 2nd hand unless you strike lucky and find a shop with one left, I have the Std 5MT green L/C running number 73014 (372-728) :P

I too have a green Late and a black late. Nice models they are too.

MalcolmInN

So a Standard 5MT is not a Black 5, especially when it is green  :laugh:

A green one would certainly satisfy the Managing Directoress who wants a pretty loco for our next !
I wonder what the history of the green livery is ? Where/when was it used etc

Note that Les got a typo and those numbers should be (I think ?)
372-725
372-726
372-727

still available at Osborns but different colours to Les' list
372-725 Lined Green Late
372-726 Lined Black Late
372-727 Lined Black Early
now where did I put my BFar bookmark , , , >

ScottyStitch

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 16, 2015, 11:53:10 AM
So a Standard 5MT is not a Black 5, especially when it is green  :laugh:

Correct

Karhedron

A green one would certainly satisfy the Managing Directoress who wants a pretty loco for our next !
Green liveried Std 5s were seen on the Western and Southern Regions, both of whom had a penchant for slapping green paint over anything that came near their paint shops. ;) At least one green Std 5 (73034) made it as far as Leicester on the Great Central but in the greens stayed on the WR and SR. They cropped up quite often on the S&D. I don't have a full list of which members of the 130-strong class received green livery but the information is out there if you feel so inclined.

Farish have produced 73068 in lined green (and very smart it looks too;) ). This particular loco ended its days on the Southern Region. There is a shot of it here (in very grubby condition) at Bournemouth shortly before electrification.

Interestingly this loco seemed to get about quite a bit (probably one of the reasons it was chosen for the model). Here it is a decade earlier at Chesterfield with an excursion in 1957.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Karhedron on December 16, 2015, 01:33:32 PM
Green liveried Std 5s were seen on the Western and Southern Regions, both of whom had a penchant for slapping green paint over anything that came near their paint shops. ;) The Southern examples in particular were unique for the class in receiving names that had come from the recently withdrawn King Authurs. They were sometimes referred to as "Standard Arthurs" (much to the distaste of contemporary fans but great for us).

At least one green Std 5 (73034) made it as far as Leicester on the Great Central but in the greens stayed on the WR and SR. They cropped up quite often on the S&D. I don't have a full list of which members of the 130-strong class received green livery but the information is out there if you feel so inclined.

Farish have produced 73068 in lined green (and very smart it looks too;) ). This particular loco ended its days on the Southern Region. There is a shot of it here (in very grubby condition) at Bournemouth shortly before electrification.

Interestingly this loco seemed to get about quite a bit (probably one of the reasons it was chosen for the model). Here it is a decade earlier at Chesterfield with an excursion in 1957.

We'll just have to take your word for it, that underneath all that grime, it is in fact green......Just sayin'  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations