Sentinel chassis

Started by Cutter, February 10, 2016, 10:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter

Hello,

I have taken the plunge and bought the P D Marsh Sentinel shunter kit, which I intend to shorten appropriately.
I've also ordered the World Craft Company TU-14CL motor chassis because of its 14 mm wheelbase. Does anyone know if this Japanese unit is 12 volt or 4.5 volt and in need of tinkering to work on a regular western N gauge layout? If it needs work, I'll need more help! Thanks.

Dorsetmike

I used this one, the TU-TMC100.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-Size-Motorized-Chassis-TU-TMC100-Tsugawa-Yokou-14033-N-scale-/201503702887?hash=item2eea8e7f67

The motor looks the same and is 4.5V, I used a 120 ohm 1W resistor.

The wheel base is adjustable, the wheels are on stub axles which fit into the nylon gears, I moved both ends in to the next gear, spacing is not quite exact to the axle boxes but unless you get your eye down to track level it's not noticeable.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16562.msg167382#msg167382

Livery is a Rule 1 invokement of my Modellers Licence!!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Cutter

Thanks Mike,

Now I have figure out how to fit the resistor! Presumably by cutting one of the wires leading to the motor and inserting it.

Dorsetmike

Quote from: Cutter on February 11, 2016, 10:48:50 PM
Thanks Mike,

Now I have figure out how to fit the resistor! Presumably by cutting one of the wires leading to the motor and inserting it.

Zackly!

The resistor I used was about the same length as the motor so fitted snugly alongside, with the vertical motor you may want to use a blob of bluetak or some other similar tacky adhesive.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Cutter

Thanks Mike,

My father was an electrical engineer, but I inherited none of his expertise! I like your avatar BTW. I have very fond memories of Corfe. We used to holiday in Swanage in the 60s visiting great aunts there. One of the aunts would take us to Corfe on the train to visit a friend and to have us wear ourselves out running all over the castle--then tea in the garden at the Castle Cafe!

When I was planning a layout Swanage was one of the locations I considered modeling, but it is a terminus, and so long and thin.

Dorsetmike

QuoteWhen I was planning a layout Swanage was one of the locations I considered modeling, but it is a terminus, and so long and thin.

My solution for that was a 2 level layout, the lower level was an oval with a fiddle yard at one corner and an incline up to an upper level terminus

[smg id=6547]

[smg id=6542]
Terminus was near end, fiddle yard at far end under a scenic bit (lifted off for pic).
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Cutter

Nice Mike. I still don't have a location for my layout settled, which makes planning difficult. So I am currently focused on researching, drawing the structures I need to build and collecting stock.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations