Small Steam Locos

Started by Bad Raven, February 17, 2013, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

Can't deny that 513 is very nicely done (apart from the Dapol house extension sized RSJ used as a brake rod!) but then GWR and green locos are really not my scene so please disregard my opinion!  :laugh:

So, the Peckett is more in keeping with Lima Locos scale then............it'd look just about right with their 4F   :angel:  (Only joking, I STILL want one!!!)
Dave

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bad Raven

Nice...........

All on Minitrix Mechs.....mechanically excellent, but in any sort of close up cosmetically marginal!
Dave

Bad Raven

OK, this thread prompted me to get my camera out and take a quick n dirty pic of my MW as it stands now, a simple and very quick repaint is all it has had.  Runs well though, great pulling power!

Pictured together with a couple of other "timeless" engines..........I keep a few unliveried to allow use in any time period.
Dave

Alex

very nice looking engines there Dave. :thumbsup:

Bad Raven

And three more, from the left:-

Midland "Deeley" 0-4-0T from a Fleichmann German origin loco.

Peco B4 body in raw condition (sat on the same chassis as the MW, they swap in seconds)

North London Tank from a much hacked Fleichmann 2-6-0T chassis with an equally much hacked Shredded Wheat loco body. This is a particularly great little loco, far more pulling power than needed and a great resistance to dead-spotting due to the compensated chassis, even at a dead crawl.

Dave

EtchedPixels

Interesting NLR tank loco. Which chassis did you use - and did you not find the Fleischmann ones too wide for UK?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

1whitemoor

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 21, 2013, 03:36:51 PM
Interesting NLR tank loco. Which chassis did you use - and did you not find the Fleischmann ones too wide for UK?

Looks like an old Tomix 0-6-0 to me - I tried to get a damaged one on ebay, but it went for over £70!

Paul A.

Bad Raven

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 21, 2013, 03:36:51 PM

Hey Paul A, you calling me a fibber??   :smiley-laughing:

Given the lack of available very small wheelbase/wheel diameter chassis, and the fact that I have many other time consuming interests totally disconnected with railways so don't have the time (or skills) to fully scratch build to scale, anything I do is always going to be a compromise to some degree, however, the chassis fitted the Shredded Wheat Tank framing and front end without any hassle.   Yes, I had to compromise true scale on the cab length due to motor length, but it looks the part to me, and I needed it for Cromford Wharf.

Yes, it IS a Fleischmann chassis, actually one that was being "outed" by its owner about 2001 as it was running like a kangeroo on steroids, I won't say how much it cost me as I don't remember accurately now, but I doubt it would buy some motor brushes today!   A quick dismantle, clean through, removal of most of the front end, painting (as it was a red chassis/wheels model, adjusting valve gear and compensation (which it gets from the tiop sprung pickups) and off it smoothly crawled over all Cromfords pointwork....and continues to do so.

I later bought a complete loco in case I needed to do another, same type but black chassis, Fleischmann Piccolo model No 7031.
Dave

chorleysteve

Quote from: 1whitemoor on February 17, 2013, 03:22:14 PM
The small steam locos I have are:

Dapol Terrier
Farish Austerity
N brass locos Peckett saddle tank on Fleischmann Chassis
Judith Edge 16'' Hunslet
Peco/Wills Manning Wardle on Farish chassis
Avonside 1101 on Fleischmann Chassis
Peco/wills b4 side tank

There's a few more about too - if you're not afraid of butchering some metal etc

Paul A.

Didn't realise Judith Edge did kits in 2mm/N?

1whitemoor

They supply the etches only.

As posted on another forum, here are their range in 2mm

NER/LNER/BR EF1 Bo+Bo
LNER/BR EB1 Bo+Bo
NER/LNER/BR ES1Bo-Bo
Yorkshire Engine Janus
Hunslet 05
Hunslet 05 high cab
Hunslet 7051
Barclay D2400
Barclay class 06
Barclay class 01
English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie
BR class 17 Clayton – currently out of stock
Ruston 165DS
English Electric/Baguley
SR/Paxman BR11001
LMS/BR Jackshaft 12023-32
Hunslet MDHB No. 32
Hunslet 15"
Sentinel 0-6-0
CP Sentinel 0-6-0DH (1:160)
N5 0-6-2T
RH PWM650
NBL D2720
NBL D2745

Paul A.

msr

How about this for a small loco: the Arida Railway tank loco currently available ready-to-run. It is designed for DC analogue - I doubt a DCC chip could be fitted unless you attach a shunters wagon to hide it in! It is manufactured by TGW (Tsugawa), catalogue number 14034, and cost me £45 including shipping by SAL from Hobby Search Co Ltd. of Japan [Email: hs-support@1999.co.jp]. My model came without the Rapido couplings fitted, giving the choice of whether or not to fit them. It runs very well but I suspect the motor is designed for 4.5 V rather than 12 V, so be careful how you apply the power!

Mike

Dorsetmike

For something a bit different don't forget the P D Marsh Sentinel, intended to go an a Farish DMU motor bogie but I used a Japanese TMC100 motor bogie from Ebay which needed a bit of simple work but does allow the removal of the bulge that hides the Farish motor. The chassis is a split type, wheels are on stub axles which fit into the plastic cogs, to reposition, withdraw the wheels/stub axles from the end cogs, remove the brass stub axles from the next cog in and replace with the wheels/stub axles.

Beware the motor is 4.5 Volts so you need to add a 120 ohm 1 watt resistor in place of the connecting wire

[smg id=7324]
OK so the SR didn't have any, see rule 1

[smg id=7323]
Underside showing wheels repositioned

[smg id=7321]
Chassis before minor hacking.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations