New Graham Farish Class 31 Diesel update.

Started by OwL, November 05, 2013, 10:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Although I am familiar with the term 'Skinhead' when applied to the class 31, in all my years of trainspotting in the mid 60's (which included many visits to Finsbury Park/Stratford so many of these Type 2's were duly copped) I never actually heard the term mentioned at that time. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to when it came about :confused2:

Michael Hendle

Hi

:sorrysign: Just to put a spanner in the works,their original nick name was Toffee Apples,I think they got that nick name when one was painted orange ochre with a white waist band stripe.

I think the orange ochre looked like the toffee on the apple and the white the wooden stick

Now off to hide

:Class31: Mike

AndyGif

bluedepot

I have pre ordered one from hattons

I hope they bring out dutch and rf livery versions soon

I think they also get called 'peds'???

Tim

The nickname generally used for class 31's was 'Goyle'.   There are some differences within the class and the original 31's (30's) before that I believe were called 'toffee apples'. This had noting to do with the livery but the power controller itself. The picture above is the more widely used power controller used on about 98% of the class and manufactured by Brush.  The class 31/0 had a different setup which had a power controller very much like a 'toffee apple' which was removable.   The nickname 'skinhead' was for the few class 31's that had no headcode box above the cab. Just a rounded roof and unless modified had front end discs too.

Jamie

Bluedepot, you are right, they are known as 'peds' too.  Not sure where that came from.

If you can see this this is a 'toffee apple' setup

www.flickr.com/photos/25459770@N03/5162185868

Hope this link works.

Jamie

PaulCheffus

Quote from: 47033 on November 06, 2013, 02:02:48 PM
Bluedepot, you are right, they are known as 'peds' too.  Not sure where that came from.

Hi

I believe it is an abbreviation of Pedestrian and I can only think they got that name as they were slow.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Dalteth

They look awesome! And after I just went and bought a previous tooling version of eBay!  :doh:

OwL

Quote from: 47033 on November 06, 2013, 02:01:42 PM
The nickname generally used for class 31's was 'Goyle'.   There are some differences within the class and the original 31's (30's) before that I believe were called 'toffee apples'. This had noting to do with the livery but the power controller itself. The picture above is the more widely used power controller used on about 98% of the class and manufactured by Brush.  The class 31/0 had a different setup which had a power controller very much like a 'toffee apple' which was removable.   The nickname 'skinhead' was for the few class 31's that had no headcode box above the cab. Just a rounded roof and unless modified had front end discs too.

Jamie

Well 'Thank Fudge' for clearing that one up!

I really did not know why the 31 was called different nick-names but now I do.........

Cheers :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

EtchedPixels

ped came from "pedlo" and was normally applied to the 31/4's because of their far from excellent power output. They were heavy and underpowered to begin with but the 31/4's had a chunk of that output permanently lost to the ETH system.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Northern Git

I thought they were called Brian's, but have heard the skin head term before.

Scott B

Quote from: bluedepot on November 06, 2013, 01:54:45 PM
I have pre ordered one from hattons

I hope they bring out dutch and rf livery versions soon

I think they also get called 'peds'???

Tim

If they do they will be incorrect as the loco is an un-refurbished version with buffer cowlings and bodyside waistband, both of which were removed when they went through Doncaster for overhaul.
The previous Farish version is the re-furbed model that would suit these two liveries.

Scott

Michael Hendle

Hi
I have just ordered from Hattons the BR Green version,as that is the era I model

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations