Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Oh, the fun we have.
I wanted to place an order for a couple of pipe/tube wagons and a pack of the Farish short shank couplings but for obvious postal cost reasons wanted to find one source. I have plenty of credit at Rails so tried them first - no couplings. I subsequently tried Hattons, Track Shack, Modellers Mecca, Model Railways Direct, Osborns, Waltons Models and finally Kernow where, as luck would have it, they showed all items in stock although just one pack of couplings. I telephoned to ensure all was in stock and they said if I didn't hear within half an hour to assume all was OK.
About ½ an hour later a thought occurred to me and, sure enough, in my 'safe place' was an unopened bag of the Farish 379-402 couplings :doh: 'What the heck' I thought. 'They're in short supply so I'll leave the entire order on.' 3 hours later Kernow called to say they couldn't find their 1 pack so I apologised but cancelled the order and have ordered the wagons from Rails (as they cost me nothing). This internet shopping malarkey is such fun, eh? Related links........
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47957.msg612243#msg612243

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47989.msg612736#msg612736

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47974.msg612460#msg612460

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 20, 2020, 03:54:34 PM
sure enough, in my 'safe place' was an unopened bag

That must be almost a first - somebody has found his 'safe place'.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

stevewalker

For many years, until it got broken, we had a ceramic biscuit barrel in the kitchen. We actually called it "a safe place." it was amazing how often we found that we actually had put the item that we were looking for in there. Naming it seemed to dictate that we actually used it.

Newportnobby

I've just looked and some  :censored: has put biscuits in mine.
Oh yes - it was me :-[

Bealman

I used to frequent a small bowling club in the local area for a beer during the nineties which I called the safe house, because Mrs Bealman didn't know it existed.  ;)

She knows where it is now, by the way.

Not that it matters..... the beer is crap and it's closing anyway

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Fardap

Hope it's okay to share this MODS, it is a happy thing!

Had a brilliant if very wet and muddy day on Sunday on an introduction to tracking course. The course was run by Dave Wardell, you may recognise him or more likely his 'partner' from Britain's Got Talent and before that the national press after he as a police dog handler and PD Finn were seriously injured whilst apprehending a 'suspect' armed with a large knife, Finn saved Dave but in doing so suffered life threatening injuries.

The happy ending being they both survived and went on to campaign for a change in the law regarding service animals and lately all animals. At the time of the attack the offender was charged with Criminal Damage of a police dog and received a 21 week sentence for that offence! All the info can be found here and they are trying to get people to contact their MP to ask them to support the private members bill for Finns Law Part 2.
https://www.finnslaw.com/finns-story/

Hopefully the dog lovers and even non dog lovers would lend a hand in contacting their MP

My dog Bailey was brilliant on the course and we will be stepping up a level for a future one. It was amazing being able to get him to track and follow a scent trail (me and hotdogs) including  a 90deg 'dogleg'.

Photo is Dave, Finn and Myself

TrevL

Friday the 13th was a particularly good day.
1. Some of you may remember last September I posted in the "Unhappy Thread" that I was borderline diabetic. Had the results of a further blood test yesterday, and I'm normal now (well normal for me :laugh3:). All I did was cut out spuds, had a cake once a week instead of every day, and walk my dog a bit further twice a day. The result was I lost 15lb or 10% of my body weight.
2.  My wife had a hip replacement on th 2nd, district nurse said her wound was healing nicely and she could go for a walk as much as she liked.
3.  I went for a test drive in a new (to me) car and I liked it so much, I bought it!
4.  I managed to buy A bottle of liquid soap, that brings our total upto 1. :)
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

1. Good grief, Trev! When I last saw you there'd have been more fat on a butcher's pencil. If you've lost another 15lbs I suggest you avoid all cracks in the pavement, drains etc etc :worried: ;)

dannyboy

Nice to hear that things are going well for your wife and self @TrevL   :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

railsquid

I have just located a Tiny Locomotive Part (a number plate) which much to my annoyance fell off a newly arrived (albeit not brand new) Japanese locomotive when I was taking some pictures of it and was carried away by the Tiny Locomotive Parts Fairies to their lair beneath the layout.  :claphappy:

Bealman

Good news!  :thumbsup:

I have visions of you finding it whilst scrabbling around on all fours under the layout ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

TrevL

And I bet it was in the last place you looked :D
Cheers, Trev.

daffy

The sun is shining, the flowers on the beautiful Magnolia tree in our neighbours garden are opening their petals to the sky, acting as a counterpoint to the  two vases of flowers delivered to my wife yesterday, from her children, that are likewise welcoming the sunlight.

The TV is off, sparing us from the latest depressions, a hearty breakfast has just been enjoyed and despite the cold winds I am looking forward to getting out into the garden.

And for my beautiful wife Sheila, there is the prospect of relaxing and being pampered and a FaceTime session or two with her children and grandchildren.

Happy Mother's Day one and all! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

talisman56

I'm happy today because I was finally able to pick up some bog roll from Tesco (one pack) as the shelf-clearers have transferred their attentions to the alcohol aisle after the Government's decision to order all Pubs, Clubs, etc to close...  :bounce:

I was envisaging not recycling my old newspapers tomorrow and cutting them up into squares...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

TrevL

Quote from: talisman56 on March 23, 2020, 11:33:16 AM
I was envisaging not recycling my old newspapers tomorrow and cutting them up into squares...

I'm thinking that is recycling at its best.
However, I read an article the other day, that somewhere in the northeast, they have had to clear sewage blockages caused by people using newspaper.
Cheers, Trev.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations