Icons of N gauge

Started by belstone, July 07, 2015, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: PGN on July 08, 2015, 10:57:02 PM
5. Lima Class 86 - still the only RTR British outline overhead pantograph electric prime mover in N

Apart from the Dapol 86 and Farish 87 (out of production but still in stock in various places)? Edited to add: and Farish 90 and 91, though those are too modern for me ;)

I do have a fondness for the Lima 86 though (I seem to have acquired 3 of the things, though two of them are earmarked for painting experiments).

18. Dapol 08 class diesel shunter. FINALLY we have outside frames and proper cranks for the coupling rods ... and doesnt' it look AMAZING!!
Um, the 08 is Farish.

PGN

OK - thanks for those corrections - I'll go back and amend my list. (Diesels and electrics aren't really my thing, you know ... and modern catalogues are so expensive I no longer tend to browse through them)
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: railsquid on July 09, 2015, 12:49:18 AM
5. Lima Class 86 - still the only RTR British outline overhead pantograph electric prime mover in N

Apart from the Dapol 86 and Farish 87 (out of production but still in stock in various places)? Edited to add: and Farish 90 and 91, though those are too modern for me ;)

I do have a fondness for the Lima 86 though (I seem to have acquired 3 of the things, though two of them are earmarked for painting experiments).

18. Dapol 08 class diesel shunter. FINALLY we have outside frames and proper cranks for the coupling rods ... and doesnt' it look AMAZING!!
Um, the 08 is Farish.

And, sadly, HUGELY out of gauge, as I discovered the moment I took mine into the station.
"The train standing ON Platform One is the Farish 08"!  :D

Now confined to goods and loco yard though it is certainly a lovely little loco.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

PGN

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on July 09, 2015, 08:24:49 AM

And, sadly, HUGELY out of gauge, as I discovered the moment I took mine into the station.

Now confined to goods and loco yard though it is certainly a lovely little loco.

Seems perfectly prototypical to me ...

I have fond memories of Cambridge station in the early 1970s, with two and sometimes even three 08s at work all at the same time, shunting the sidings between the platform and the cattle market, and the sidings which served the banana warehouse.

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: PGN on July 09, 2015, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on July 09, 2015, 08:24:49 AM

Seems perfectly prototypical to me ...

I have fond memories of Cambridge station in the early 1970s, with two and sometimes even three 08s at work all at the same time, shunting the sidings between the platform and the cattle market, and the sidings which served the banana warehouse.

All perfectly true but as mine was to be 'station pilot' it would have been shunting parcel vans and adding sleeping cars etc., for which duties it would have needed to enter the platforms. Sadly the outside cranks meant it hit the platform edges! :-[
So, in true railway modeller fashion I had to buy another loco for the duty, hence my Class 14 which is about 3 years outside its true operational period on the Western Region but what the heck! ::)  I'll turn a blind eye to that one! :)

Chris in Prague

You could always buy one of the late model Graham Farish Class 08s without outside cranks . . . or a Class 03.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chris in Prague on July 09, 2015, 11:16:33 AM
You could always buy one of the late model Graham Farish Class 08s without outside cranks . . . or a Class 03.

Thank for that, but I have already got nearly 10% of my fleet as NON Diesel Hydraulic - many more would drive me to drink!  :beers:

Chris in Prague

I understand but the WR had a large fleet of Class 03s with a few lasting well into BR Blue days.

Bealman

[smg id=9297 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=789 type=preview align=center width=400]
;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

belstone

Now that's what I call a bargain.  Mint, boxed, wheels are absolutely immaculate so I don't think it has ever been run, complete with transfers, optional double chimney and guarantee card. Purchased new from Pecorama in August 1989, probably for about what I paid for it.  Anyone know when production ended? I'm trying to resist the temptation to knock off work early so I can go home and try it.  And not sure if I dare try applying the transfers - anyone know if Methfix transfers still work after 26 years? It looks a bit unfinished without them.

PLD

Quote from: belstone on July 10, 2015, 12:42:31 PM
Now that's what I call a bargain.  Mint, boxed, wheels are absolutely immaculate so I don't think it has ever been run, complete with transfers, optional double chimney and guarantee card. Purchased new from Pecorama in August 1989, probably for about what I paid for it.  Anyone know when production ended? I'm trying to resist the temptation to knock off work early so I can go home and try it.  And not sure if I dare try applying the transfers - anyone know if Methfix transfers still work after 26 years? It looks a bit unfinished without them.

Nice. - it's rare now to find one with the transfers unused and the double chimney included!
Always thought it odd that they bothered to produce the double chimney and included it with all liveries when it is only correct for a single loco and only in BR green livery which they never released... :doh:

When you put the transfers on, don't forget that for the truly authentic look you should put a different number on each side and whatever number/numbers you choose, you should use the name "Leander" (because that seems to be what's been done to at least 3/4 of he ones that turn up second hand...  ::)

belstone

Quote from: PLD on July 10, 2015, 01:08:34 PM

Nice. - it's rare now to find one with the transfers unused and the double chimney included!

Bit of a dilemma here.  I'm not a collector by nature - about the first thing I normally do with a new loco is throw the box away.  But as soon as I cut up that transfer sheet and run this loco on a layout, it's just another second-hand Peco Jubilee.  I might have to buy another one for everyday use :)

PGN

26 year old Methfix transfers SHOULD be fine ... just don't assume that the soaking times will still be the same, and use your own judgment.

silly moo

I agree with PGN about the Dapol Terrier, I am amazed that they were able to make it at all.

Other favorites are the Peco Jubilee, the Minitrix A4s, Farish crabs, 37s and the prototype Deltic.

I do think the newer locos are getting better and better,  my Farish Standard  Class 5 is superb.

:NGaugersRule:

railsquid

Quote from: belstone on July 10, 2015, 02:11:47 PM
Quote from: PLD on July 10, 2015, 01:08:34 PM

Bit of a dilemma here.  I'm not a collector by nature - about the first thing I normally do with a new loco is throw the box away.  But as soon as I cut up that transfer sheet and run this loco on a layout, it's just another second-hand Peco Jubilee.  I might have to buy another one for everyday use :)

Umm, sell the current one to finance the purchase of just another second-hand Peco Jubilee? I'm also of the persuasion that if it's not running (or serving as a spare parts donor) it's pretty useless. You only go through life once, if gazing at something static doesn't float your boat why bother keeping it around?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations