The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

Couriers can be no better.
I worked for a catalogue company once who's customers ordered, amongst other things, cases of wine.
Now due to the way most courier companies work, especially the big ones, items do get damaged or go missing from time to time.
Christmas was naturally a busy time of year but it was amazing how many more missing cases of wine there was then compared to the rest of the year!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Geoff

When I got made redundant over 10 years ago I was doing jobs for agencies and I went to work for a courier company as a fill in before I started the job I have now, I was based in the depot and worked 12 hour nights, and the things that went on is unbelievable, I was put with a young lad and he did not care about other folks parcels, at 11pm a 40' wagon came in and me and this young lad had to unload it of parcels they came in all shape and sizes, there must of been between 3000 and 5000 parcels on there and all we had to do was put the parcels on a conveyor belt, but oh no this lad had to throw them off the wagon, there was no supervision just a manager who wanted to be in his office with his feet up, no one cared what happened to anything, I have to say I do not use this parcel company to send my parcels, what I have been told the same thing happens now, cheap labour means big trouble, no supervision means big trouble sending your parcel via a certain company means big trouble.

I always use the post office for my parcels I have never had a problem with breakages with them.

I know folks have there own opinion of different couriers but I think the post office is more efficient, yes there are mistakes but in the long run it is a trusted service.
Geoff

hairygit

Maybe you should name and shame that company so we can all avoid it!
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

Lawrence

Quote from: hairygit on March 21, 2012, 02:34:27 PM
Maybe you should name and shame that company so we can all avoid it!

Not publicly on the forum please, we can't afford the lawsuit  ;D

I am sure Geoff would provide the info by pm if requested though  ;)

Geoff

Yep no naming and shaming from me but if you are in a need to know basis then send me a pm, it certainly opened my eyes.
Geoff

Geoff

Just had a bit of a mixed fortune weekend, been in the shed all day Sunday and I have nearly finished laying the track of my branch line, so while laying the line I thought I would run the Diesels I have on the loop that is already in place, the class 24 went like a dream but when the class 66 was put on the track it shorted, I think my soldering was a bit suspect when fitting the decoder, I was just wondering will it be the decoder that is knackered or will it be the motor?

I am fuming with myself, but there again I am happy with the progress I made must get pictures posted.

Another question is there a device to be had for testing decoders?

:thumbsdown:  :thumbsup:
Geoff

Jack

Quote from: Geoff on March 26, 2012, 08:14:23 AM
Just had a bit of a mixed fortune weekend, been in the shed all day Sunday and I have nearly finished laying the track of my branch line, so while laying the line I thought I would run the Diesels I have on the loop that is already in place, the class 24 went like a dream but when the class 66 was put on the track it shorted, I think my soldering was a bit suspect when fitting the decoder, I was just wondering will it be the decoder that is knackered or will it be the motor?

I am fuming with myself, but there again I am happy with the progress I made must get pictures posted.

Another question is there a device to be had for testing decoders?

:thumbsdown:  :thumbsup:

Good ol Google - http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310378597781?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y   :)
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Bikeracer

Put it on a programming track and see if you can read the CVs.

The last decoder I installed I thought I'd cream crackered it because it could have shorted out,the problem turned out to be poorly adjusted pick ups on a Farish steamer.
You can buy decoder testers,but I can't remember which site I saw them on.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Crackerbill

There is a decoder tester available from DCC Supplies (www.dccsupplies.com) at £36.41 - ESU 51900decoder tester.

I have one of these and find it invaluable for testing decoders before fitting.

The decoder tester has various inputs for the differing types of decoder for operation and lights along with a speaker for testing sound. 

Regards
Bill

Oldman

******* cars, went to check the rear brakes and had to remove the dust covers to get the rear drums off.  Totally messed one up.
Got  to order new ones from Subaru  Japan. :thumbsdown:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Mustermark

That is annoying for sure.  I guess it will take awhile to arrive from Japan too.  Why dont they stock them in the UK?

Apologies for my edits. We have to be careful with any not so disguised bad words on the open forum.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Lawrence

Yet again the country calls on its armed forces to bail it out domestically as these kids who probably earn 16-19k a year are going to cover for tanker drivers who earn 45k a year and want to go on strike at the Easter weekend because they are not getting improved pensions and they have to work a bit harder.

Any one of these military guys who are standing in would happily swap their pay and conditions with those of the tanker driver for a couple of months.

Every time this country needs bailed out we turn to our forces yet this government is insistent on cutting then to the core, soon we wont even be able to match that global military force that is Belgium! Once the tankers are sorted it will be off to provide security for the olympics to cut costs there.  Last year they were out shovelling tons of snow because council workers couldn't get in or didn't want to work extra hours.

These lads and lassies get paid peanuts, don't get overtime and just get on with it.  They even have to use their own annual leave entitlement if they want to go and work 16 hour days at Wimbledon or the Royal Tournament, something that used to be a perk (and they don't get food & accommodation)

Not happy, this country is turning into a flaming joke  >:(

StufromEGDL

Hi Guys,

Echo what Lawrence says above entirely...
I won't be getting involved in tanker driving, possibly the Olympics.

As an alternate view, those of us 'covering' for Wimbledon volunteers get pi**ed off with them...

Later,
Stu from EGDL
:Class89:
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang,

Best stock up with your stamps before the end of April.
The robbing management gits at Royal Mail are at it again....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

Later,
Stu from EGDL

:Class89:
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

thebrighton

Quote from: StufromEGDL on March 27, 2012, 11:50:58 AM
Hi Gang,

Best stock up with your stamps before the end of April.
The robbing management gits at Royal Mail are at it again....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17522500

It is a big hike but not the fault of RM management this time. Postcomm kept the cost of a 1st class stamp artificially low for years so all are delivered at a loss. Unfortunately RM is no longer a service but a business and the new regulator Offcom is allowing RM to actually compete aaginst its competitors. Of course there is no competitor out there prepared to deliver a letter for you by the next day as it is very hard to make it profitable. If it weren't for Postcomm the cost of a 1st class stamp would have increased sensibly over the years rather than jumping. Try finding anyone else to deliver a letter anywhere in the country the next day for 60p.
Gareth

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations