A question for the electrical wizards.

Started by chrispearce, September 18, 2019, 05:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

I've actually seen it done, but only with a little 0-4-0 loco, but only for moving it around the yard, the genny wasn't big enough for it to be towing things. The loco had batteries as well, but they weren't well...

As they say a genny big enough to power a loco for it's purpose would need a wagon as big as a diesel loco. so just put a diesel on..

edwin_m

I've heard of preserved trams running with a generator on a trailer, and a third rail loco/unit could probably do this too.  But it's unlikely for a locomotive on the 25kV system, as the high voltage needs a lot of insulation and electrical clearances. 

ntpntpntp

I do know of small European two car units by Stadler which have a short middle "module" with either diesel or overhead capability depending on usage. I'm not sure if those are field-swappable though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_GTW#Propulsion

I'm not aware of any generator lash-ups that would provide traction power for a large electric loco, plus it would have to be pretty hefty connecting cable! Generally it's only control signals that are carried through I would have thought.

An electro-diesel such as the UK class 73 would be most appropriate of course.

I must admit that personally I don't like to see electric locos with pantos up on non-electrified layouts, so my fleet of electrics doesn't get to run on those parts of my layout.  Electrification is planned for the future though  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

I've mainly run them with pantographs down, but of course,  that wouldn't happen in reality either, so either way, I lose.  ;)

I will never install even posts to simulate overhead.... I knock over enough telegraph poles as it is when I'm track cleaning!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: Bealman on September 18, 2019, 09:14:57 AMI will never install even posts to simulate overhead.... I knock over enough telegraph poles as it is when I'm track cleaning!

I like the Ratio telegraph poles - they are flexible so can withstand the odd knock.

Bealman

Yeah, they're good. I went for the Kestrel ones back then because of the cost factor  :worried:

railsquid

Bealman

Ok, removable ones....

In the words of Australian politician(?) Pauline Hanson,

"Please explain"  :hmmm:

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on September 18, 2019, 10:46:46 AM
Ok, removable ones....

Err, holes on either side of the track, hand of god comes down and removes/adds as desired, mainly removed for purposes of photographing kettles.

Not going to win me any prizes for realism, but whatever.

Bealman

Well I don't see why not....

The vegetation disguises it well.

Or is that the low camera angle?  :thumbsup:

chrism

Quote from: railsquid on September 18, 2019, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: Bealman on September 18, 2019, 10:46:46 AM
Ok, removable ones....

Err, holes on either side of the track, hand of god comes down and removes/adds as desired, mainly removed for purposes of photographing kettles.

Not going to win me any prizes for realism, but whatever.

Nowt wrong with that - I've done it myself with a few trees that are too tall to fit inside the layout transport casings, but would be too low to hide the track disappearing round to the fiddle yard if I made them small enough to fit the casings.

Bealman

Are those poles flexible, Ian?

Cos I must admit I like the pics under the "cables!"

themadhippy

If you ran the generator from the train wheels  the produced electricity could power the motor driving the train that powers the generator,mmmm i'll get onto it once ive finished defrosting my cold fussion machine.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bealman on September 18, 2019, 11:44:11 AM
Cos I must admit I like the pics under the "cables!"

Oh well, in that case I have loads of those  :D

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations