Searching for one-letter words

Started by martink, March 27, 2014, 12:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martink

I recently attempted to do a search of the forum for "T gauge", but the search feature insists that each word in the string must have at least two characters.  This could also be an issue when trying to find references to certain loco classes.  Is there a specific reason for this, or is it just a default setting?

Oldun

Quote from: martink on March 27, 2014, 12:46:35 PM
I recently attempted to do a search of the forum for "T gauge", but the search feature insists that each word in the string must have at least two characters.  This could also be an issue when trying to find references to certain loco classes.  Is there a specific reason for this, or is it just a default setting?

Just tried it, T gauge = two characters needed.

T. gauge = full search results.

It seems that if your search has only a single letter/number, putting a full stop
after the 'single' character works.

HTH
Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

ParkeNd

Oldun

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 27, 2014, 01:08:23 PM
T then a space

Tried that T Gauge = Each word must be at least two characters long

T. Gauge = full results.

Its the single letter or the single number that = 2 characters needed no matter how
many spaces in between.
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Pengi

That is an excellent work-around  -  :thankyousign:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

martink

Am I missing something really obvious here?  I just tried searching for "t. gauge" (both with and without a space), and while it returns lots of results, they are simply those for "gauge".

I started off by trying singly- and doubly-quoted strings, then Unix and DOS wildcards, and got nowhere.  I've even checked the help text for SMF forums, and while they say that double quotes should give a phrase match, it doesn't.

Its like the old joke...  you can't get there from here!  ???

Caz

When you think about it if you are searching for T gauge then the letter T appears in thousands of words and the search results would therefore be meaningless.  AFAIK our current version of the software isn't able to search using double quotes or they just don't work.   ???
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Joker56

Malc

This is despite there being an example of "animal farm" underneath the search box. A bug methinks?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations