Keeping logged on

Started by Malc, February 27, 2014, 03:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

I am using an iPad Air and generally leave one of the tabs on safari permantly set to the forum. When I select it again after some time, a) it has dropped back to the mobile version b) it tells me I an not logged in. It generally fills in my username and password, but defaults to 60 mins.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Ray Haddad

It's the fault of this forum's template. It auto senses that you are not on a PC or Mac and defaults to mobile.

It can be turned off but that means anyone who uses a mobile will se only a fraction of the screen and won't be able to log in properly.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

PLD

Quote from: Malc on February 27, 2014, 03:47:28 PM
I am using an iPad Air
That is your problem as far as I'm concerned, it's not a fault of the forum...

Using Firefox browser on an Android tablet, it happily stays logged in and remembers my selection of the full version of the browser (plus the added bonus that if it has a weak/slow connection, offers me the option to switch to the mobile version).

Have you tried a different browser? I believe there is a version of Firefox for iPads.

ngauger

Interesting!  I started using Chrome recently, (as i.e has issues with https on our site) when I close the browser, I have to log in again.  Just tried it with I,e and I'm still logged in.  It may be a cookie issue?  i.e cookies may be turned off/disabled by default?

Just a thought!

Andy

Edit:  I use an ipad mini at home (default Safari browser), it does keep me logged in!
LNWR & Midland Railway Company

Malc

The curious thing is that it remembers my username, password and login forever. The only cookies disabled are for the usual suspects, 3rd party advertisers

Tank

Quote from: Ray Haddad on February 27, 2014, 05:02:16 PM
It's the fault of this forum's template. It auto senses that you are not on a PC or Mac and defaults to mobile.

It can be turned off but that means anyone who uses a mobile will se only a fraction of the screen and won't be able to log in properly.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the forums fault!  ;) 

As Ray said, the forum will auto-detect if you're on a mobile device or desktop and will try to offer you what's best.  When you agree/select what you want for the first time them your device should remember it.  This will include your username and password if you've selected to be online forever.  However, if you log out or the session is ended, then this could cause the forum to go back to auto-detect mode.  So, unfortunately the problem would be your end. :(

Malc

Now that I have stopped Safari blocking any cookies, I have not had the problem, however, it should still work if I block 3rd party and advertisers.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations