NGF Membership Cards

Started by Rob H, August 23, 2013, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinZaPint

[quote author=newportnobby link=topic=15933.msg174806#msg174806 date=
Another thought occurs - NGF enamel badges are only being sold to NGF members so just substitute badge for card and Robert's your mother's brother :)
[/quote]

The badge is an excellent idea and enables us to recognise other members at shows, the donation system allows those using the forum to contribute to the running costs and saves the burden of administration.

We seem to "rub along" pretty well with other N gauge groups all following our hobby in harmony and that's how I would like to see it continue  :)
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

keerout

Quote from: MinZaPint on November 11, 2013, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 11, 2013, 12:33:34 PM
Another thought occurs - NGF enamel badges are only being sold to NGF members so just substitute badge for card and Robert's your mother's brother :)

The badge is an excellent idea and enables us to recognise other members at shows, the donation system allows those using the forum to contribute to the running costs and saves the burden of administration.

We seem to "rub along" pretty well with other N gauge groups all following our hobby in harmony and that's how I would like to see it continue  :)

Agreed.
Gerard.

Dock Shunter

'If it ain't broke,don't try to fix it'..................Simple...  :NGF:...... :NGaugersRule:

PostModN66

I recognise the "slow committee" syndrome.  A few years ago I was the secretary of a professional engineering body, and the whole thing was hamstrung by retired members who would roll up to the committee meetings and want to harp on about how things used to be done and how they should be done like that again (and incidentally, would never volunteer to do any work despite having all their days free!)

It seems to me a shame that people with initiative are not used productively by the society but have to branch out on their own.  Another example would be H's efforts on his N'spirations mag which could in another world have been used to enhance the N Gauge journal rather than spawning an offshoot.

I guess a practical step might be for the NGS to endorse the NGF as the (UK) national forum for N gauge, and maybe for Committee members to use the NGF as one of the official communications channels.  (I know that one or two people who are on the Committee do contribute to the forum already, but it is more their personal communication rather than an official one).

When I'm Prime Minister.........!!

Cheers    Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

mereman

I've watched this topic for a while. At first I thought what a good idea, but the more I thought about it the more problems I could see.

At the moment we are free to use, and if you can give then there is the donate button. But if we had a card some poor sod has to look after it and sort out any (and there would be) problems. Not a job I'd want :D

So my vote is stay as we are outside of the commercial world this way we can tell it like it is without the risk of upsetting any company that has gave us a discount (we wouldn't want to lose that would we).

My 2d
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

CarriageShed

Quote from: PostModN66 on November 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM
I guess a practical step might be for the NGS to endorse the NGF as the (UK) national forum for N gauge, and maybe for Committee members to use the NGS as one of the official communications channels.  (I know that one or two people who are on the Committee do contribute to the forum already, but it is more their personal communication rather than an official one).

I like the idea of the NGF being endorsed as the NGS forum. It wouldn't be too hard to tie the two sites together more closely, and it's not like the NGS has a forum already (other than the letters page of the journal). The NGS could benefit by being able to click on a button or send a PM to request a construction thread or repair topic be submitted as an article for the journal, while the NGF would benefit from improved direct lines of communication.

No extra membership cards need be issued as a result, although it might encourage more people to join the NGS. :)

H

Quote from: PostModN66 on November 11, 2013, 02:17:09 PM

I recognise the "slow committee" syndrome.

Yep, the NGS is very slow, especially with regards to decision making. When I was on the NGS committee (many years ago now) the meetings dragged on all day. The committee, in general were (and I get the impression still are) very conservative (with a small 'c') and quite reluctant to change. They view suggestions with a degree of suspicion and often see them only as 'extra' (and unwelcome) work. Plus they are very risk adverse with regards to new ideas.

But the NGS has done a lot of good things and provides a range of worthwhile service for members - it's just that it is difficult to get them to accept and act on new ideas and suggestions (especially if changes are require to adopt them - for example on-line shop ordering, allowing PayPal payment for membership renewal, limited company incorporation, etc.). And some of the products/services are rather long in the tooth and could do with updating. I doubt it will be easy or quick to get any form of official liaison/recognition between the NGF and the NGS.

H.

red_death

I think Only Me has hit the nail on the head - what do we do about non-NGS members on NGF?

IIRC there are at least 3 (poss 4) NGS Committee members who post on here + 1 Vice President. Mostly we post in our personal capacity though occasionally in our NGS capacity.

From my personal point of view I don't see much benefit in the NGS duplicating the NGF.

Cheers, Mike

NGS Product Development Officer (and Committee member)

PostModN66

Quote from: Only Me on November 11, 2013, 02:52:46 PM
Ah, but then you cross the realms of can you affiliate a forum with the NGS if not all members of said forum are "Paying" members of the NGS.....

Answer = Probably NO..

I know you are predicting others' reactions rather than your own, but why not?   Non-NGS members can view much of the NGS website already.  I can only imagine that using the forum would increase the likelihood of joining as products, articles in the journal etc. are mentioned.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

PostModN66

Quote from: red_death on November 11, 2013, 03:31:50 PM
I think Only Me has hit the nail on the head - what do we do about non-NGS members on NGF?

Not worry about it?!  I doubt anyone will die as a result (or even lose money!)  And if there is a problem, deal with it if it arises!

Now off to do a base jump then run naked through a lions cage!   :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Cheers   Jon   :) :)

H

I got the impression that Tank was pursuing mutually beneficial advertising - promoting each other through the others exclusive media (i.e. NGF ads in the NGS Journal and NGS ads on the NGF forum). That wouldn't be a problem for non-members as it is to encourage them to join the other organisation.

However, apart from the promotional aspects (and any specific joint projects) I can't see many other benefits/opportunities for liaison. Certainly things like selling each other's exclusive products would have tax implications regarding selling to non-members.

H.

mereman

Quote from: PostModN66 on November 11, 2013, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: red_death on November 11, 2013, 03:31:50 PM

Not worry about it?!  I doubt anyone will die as a result (or even lose money!)  And if there is a problem, deal with it if it arises!

Now off to do a base jump then run naked through a lions cage!   :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Cheers   Jon   :) :)

I don't know what's he wearing but it needs ironing :smiley-laughing:  I'll get me coat
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

IanUK

Quote from: KTM on November 11, 2013, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: IanUK on August 25, 2013, 06:12:38 PM
I agree that this forum should remain free access to all but, on the other hand I do not see what would be wrong with a membership fee for those amongst who would like to hold a membership card for the NGF.

A lot of us have joined the N Gauge Society, and the benefits it brings, so maybe there would benefits in having such a membership.

Obviously it comes down to cost and the administration, but on the plus side if through a membership it brings extra revenue for the site then I'm all for it.

Just my two penneth.

Ian

I agree with you Ian but the trouble is each good idea carries such a back narrative as well. While I'm all in favour of membership cards - who prints them and who pays up front? What about the logistics of record-keeping, stationery, admin and postage costs etc?  Someone always ends up doing a lot of extra unpaid work... and it's often the same people too.

I'd happily pay an annual membership fee of £5 to use NGF. Great - lots of dosh to enable NGF to be even better than it is - BUT - who holds the dosh - who opens a bank account for NGF memberships - who does the work involved - would the increased income push NGF into all the hassles of accounts, accountants, AGMs etc...not to mention the taxman.

And so it goes on. I suppose sometimes it's better to keep the status quo rather than open up the Pandora's box mentioned above. I've experienced at least one model railway group that ended up spending more time arguing about all the stuff above that talking about railways.

While I would pay to use NGF, and I would like a membership card - I do not want NGF to be deflected away from the superb job that is being done right now without either.

:NGF:

My friend, with regard to part of your sentence "open up the Pandora's box mentioned above" I cannot see what part of my posts relates to this.  I felt my post was a balanced and more "sitting on the fence" than advocating all out membership.

My view remains that NGF is free access to all. I was not making a case for membership, but merely pointing out that if membership was offered then it would be an individuals choice to apply. I also pointed out that there could be potential cost and administration implications in running such a membership.

With regard to who holds the money or operates the business end etc. that's up to Tank, he holds the financial burden for this site of which we all enjoy, and he has to find the revenue to keep the software and the servers running.

As it pointed out in another thread the membership for this site has now approached 3000, so why doesn't the monthly donations reflect this? I have made several donations to the site.

This is just an if; If 100 of those members (excluding Tank and the Mods) chose to pay an annual membership fee of £10, that's £1000 of instant revenue to keep the lights on in here.

Instead of putting my two penneth in this time, I'm off to shove another Tenner in the pot.....have you?

Ian.

People say I'm small minded and live in my own little world; maybe their right!

KTM

You misunderstand, the Pandora's Box I referred to was in my post not yours.
GWR branch-line Steam rules

Dock Shunter

For Gauds sake.The forum works perfectly well as it is.
We don't need pieces of paper telling us we are a member. :no:
We don't need affiliation to other N Gauge groups.We all co exist quite well as we are
If members want to make donations to the forum that's great,if they don't...no problem.
If it got to a point were funds for the forum are low then like in the past, Chris will tell us and we will put our hands in our pockets.
Like i have already said,why change or try to fix something that works perfectly well as it is....?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations