The Search

Started by gwrfrank, March 11, 2013, 08:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwrfrank

Hi is there a help or FAQ for the search on this forum I have tried searching but........

Seriously I don't find it very helpful but perhaps I am not using it properly. As an example I cut and pasted directly from a post into the search but it didn't find it. Can I use inverted commas or apostrophes in the search window what about AND and OR?

:searchingsign:
Regards Frank

daveg

Try looking with the Knowledge bank. You don't need to use speach marks.

What were you looking for? Perhaps we can help point you in the right direction.

Dave G

gwrfrank

Knowledge bank??

Is that within the site if so I haven't found it.

All the standard search methods on a forum seem to be absent like: any words or all words, title search, all text search advanced search, so is there another search that I am missing?  I have been clicking on the search button top right. How would you search for Joe's? I ask because that is a word used in one of my posts and it doesn't turn up in search.
Regards Frank

daveg

Make sure you are at the forum Home page and then gently scroll down. Fourth section down from the top. There are sub sections to make life even easier.

If you can't find what you're looking for, simply ask the question - ideally in the right section of the forum - and you'll be sure to get info or advice.

The Search facility is along the top of the Home page too. It's in bold, so give it a click!
Good luck!

Dave G

Caz

The Search option along the top of the page with the home button etc gives you more options.  I just tried Joe's and nothing came up but if you put in just Joe you get lots of hits.  I suspect it's programmed to truncate at non alphanumeric characters so doesn't use anything after the e in Joe's.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

gwrfrank

:thankyousign:

Well that search is better than the obvious one I was using but as to the use of punctuation the example given by the side of the more detailed (dare I say advanced) search box is:

e.g. Orwell "Animal Farm" -movie   That search should get a post with Orwell AND the exact phrase "animal farm" AND not include the word movie.

I'm sorry but I know from other forums where I am the 'expert' rather than the 'newbie' lots of people would be tempted to say  :searchingsign: but for that to be reasonable the search engine has to work and be understood by us newbies.

Regards Frank

Tank

I welcome all feedback on the forum.   :thumbsup:  I've tried a few searches, even for a recent thread called "it's the final countdown" and it worked perfectly.  If you'd like to post or PM me some searches that haven't worked then that would help me to see a problem.  Thanks!

EtchedPixels

It doesn't seem to ignore capital letters which caught me out a couple of times
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

gwrfrank

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2013, 08:05:45 PM
I welcome all feedback on the forum.   :thumbsup:  I've tried a few searches, even for a recent thread called "it's the final countdown" and it worked perfectly.  If you'd like to post or PM me some searches that haven't worked then that would help me to see a problem.  Thanks!

Hi tank thank you
Here is the phrase I tried :  Joe's Model Trains Co
(Without the colon and leading space)
It is a direct cut and paste from one of my posts which I tried because after I posted about it in my topic I came across the product I was looking for elsewhere on the forum and wondered why my initial search didn't work.

Even "Joe's" on its own doesn't work.

Still this thread has shown me that there are two flavours of search. On a motorhome forum I belong to the same thing applies there is a version with a search box which doesn't let you search properly and a more detailed one nearby. I think all newbies will assume that the search with the search box is the one to use rather than hitting Search.

Edit And this post is number 10 unlocking classifieds :D
Regards Frank

Tank

Thanks for that.  I had trouble with the search facility finding it as well. :thumbsdown:

I've spoken to a member of staff who help to develop the SMF software and he says that the issue is fixed in the next update, but currently it's at the Beta testing stage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations