RIP Billy McNeill

Started by broadsword, April 23, 2019, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadsword

First Briton( and Scotsman)  to lift the European Cup. 

port perran

An inspirational player the likes of which are now sadly lacking.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Lawrence

Quote from: port perran on April 23, 2019, 05:55:34 PM
An inspirational player the likes of which are now sadly lacking.

Not just an inspirational player but an inspirational man too, a true Glasgow gent who gave 60 years of his life to one club, in one form or another. I'm not a Celtic fan, but I appreciate what he did as a player for club and country and a man who will forever be in the annals of British football history as @broadsword mentioned. Taken by the same terrible disease that took my own Dad last year. RIP Caesar

broadsword

A bit off track,but talk of the Lisbon Lions  reminded me of a story told at a football
night by  Jim Craig another LL.
He was being booked by Tiny Wharton,a strict referee of the old school.
Tiny was about 6'3'' .

Wharton  .....Can I have your name please Mr Craig
Craig ............Certainly Mr Wharton,it's Mr Craig
Wharton.......Thank you Mr Craig
Craig..............Not at all  Mr Wharton     

Lawrence

There are a lot of great stories from the gentlemen who played the game up here @broadsword , one of my favourites is from the late, great John Lambie when Partick Thistle gaffer.

"Colin McGlashan was involved in a clash of heads with an opponent. On being told that McGlashan was concussed and didn't know who he was, Lambie replied: "Great. Tell him he's Pelé and get him back on!"

Ye cannae make it up  ;D

LASteve

Quote from: Lawrence on April 24, 2019, 09:53:17 PM

"Colin McGlashan was involved in a clash of heads with an opponent. On being told that McGlashan was concussed and didn't know who he was, Lambie replied: "Great. Tell him he's Pelé and get him back on!"

Ye cannae make it up  ;D

You beat me to it. I love that story.

broadsword

Another old footie tale, the late,great Bill Shankly was once asked if it was true that on his honeymoon
he took his bride to see Preston North End play.

Shanks replied "Completely untrue,it was Preston North End reserves.....................

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations