Glossary of Terms - An A to Z

Started by Newportnobby, October 26, 2018, 10:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

SWMBO-  Financial director/chief accountant .The person who is in charge of releasing funds for many model layouts
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Could folks just give this the once over to see if I have everything captured please?

Fiddle Yard (see also Sector Plate, Traverser, Fiddle Stick, Cassette)
An area of the layout or separate board set by for storage and make up of trains such that, on a circular layout, the same train is not seen going round and round. Normal practice is for a train to make a circuit of tha layout, run into the yard and another train brought out (the same applies to an end to end layout). The yard is usually composed of a series of loops or sidings which can contain one or more trains.i.e. by electrical sections in a loop/siding more than one shorter train can be stored on one line. In the majority of cases the trains run off the scenic section of the layout into the yard which is hidden behind a scenic background, buildings, trees etc and are thought of as 'elsewhere'. Some prefer their stock to be seen on display so will opt for carriage/wagon  sidings in the scenic area.

Sector Plate
A fan of tracks laid down on a shaped piece of baseboard which pivots at one end to allow selection of which train to bring onto the scenic section of the layout. All the tracks in the fan meet the entrance to the scenic  layout  precisely, and electrical connection between the plate and the layout varies according to taste/ease.

Traverser
Usually a rectangular piece of baseboard carried on a pair of drawer runners/rollers which holds several trains on straight tracks and is pushed in/pulled out to the layout in order to line up the train selected. Electrical connection is again a matter of choice.

Fiddle Stick and Cassette
Nominally the same thing, whereby a single track line is built into a 'U' shaped section of material e.g. plasticard, plywood etc and can be attached temporarily to one end of an end to end layout where scenic space is at a premium, thus adding a little extra length. A Fiddle Stick is normally used purely to give extra length where required whereas Cassettes generally carry trains made up as if in a Fiddle Yard. Electrical connection is again a matter of choice.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Train Waiting

Quote from: dannyboy on November 02, 2018, 12:34:30 PM
Well I can understand that.  :thumbsup:

Me too!  Excellent.

Perhaps it might help to include the words 'for continuous run layouts' between 'Normal practice' and 'is for a'.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Quote from: Train Waiting on November 02, 2018, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on November 02, 2018, 12:34:30 PM
Well I can understand that.  :thumbsup:

Me too!  Excellent.

Perhaps it might help to include the words 'for continuous run layouts' between 'Normal practice' and 'is for a'.

Thanks, John. I've amended the original Word document

John

daffy

Well done Mick! :thumbsup:  The 'Glossary of Terms' is now in the Knowledge Bank, and I for one think it is a fine body of work.

I have a few suggestions for inclusions and amendments but they can wait until another day. I'm sure you'd like a break now! ;)

However, I think it would be better utilised if it could be a 'sticky' at the top of the Knowledge Bank menu, or perhaps given its own 'button' on the main menu bar next to Gallery and Profile. Or, though a less easily spotted alternative, included as one of the NGF Links on the menu bar. As it is at the moment, once folks stop adding to this thread, your hard work will be easily overlooked.

Again, well done, and  :thankyousign:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Railwaygun

MRS - Model Railway Society (or see SWMBO)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Newportnobby

@daffy @Tank
Thanks, Mike. I've already asked it be added to the NGF Links alongside the Beginners Guide....... but if Tank has any better ideas then I'm all ears or, as the French say, "je suis touts oreilles"

@Railwaygun
MRS added

The Q

For those doing a military model (which may include railways, then RTR means Royal Tank Regiment, pre April 4th 1939, they Were The Royal Tank Corps.

For those doing a miltary railway then IPA is India Pale Ale orginally developed so it would stay drinkable having been exported to the military in India from the UK.

SWMBO, from the Book SHE by Sir Henry Rider Haggard, KBE, Kt, She Who Must Be Obayed. Much quoted by " Rumpole of the Bailey" televised 1978-1992.

Rule 0, as quoted by real 305mm to the foot railway men, before you do anything have a cup of tea.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations