UK-Aus Mail Services

Started by Stuart Down Under, April 20, 2020, 03:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

[mod] This thread is to discuss the effects of the current situation on the international postal system. I have removed a couple of posts which are not related to the purpose of this thread, and removed non-relevant parts of a couple of others. This is a model railway forum; there are plenty of other places available to discuss the current situation in depth. Thanks. [/mod]

crewearpley40

Thanks to @railsquid . Amended post . There is going to be delay and my post person is cheerful, sings  wishes people well. I am waiting for items , we just have to be patient given the current situation. My brother is in taiwan, where he is not receiving mail from outside of that country, so the way forward for his birthday is emails and cards and he says that works well for us.

Spoz

It's certainly taking much longer than usual; I had one from Hattons in 30 days (to Adelaide), and am still waiting for one from Rails which hits 30 days tomorrow.  However, I got a package from Casula Hobbies in Sydney in 4 days, about standard; so I suspect that at least some of the delay is down to the lost capacity in airfreight for mail which is caused by the effective cessation of passenger flights.
A non rivet counter in all the scales and prototypes I "model" ......

Graham

update to the below.
Quote from: Graham on April 20, 2020, 10:33:53 AM
Still anxiously waiting on a delivery from Revolution which according to my account was marked as complete around 14th March.
Still waiting on the latest NGS mag 2/20
Still waiting on a delivery from YouChoos ordered shipped 25th March ARRIVED, Hooray.
Still waiting on a delivery from Rails shipped on 26th March
HOWEVER a shipment from DCC Supplies shipped on 28th March arrived mid last week, ironically I cant use the parts in this order until the order from YouChoos arrives.

With the arrival from YouChoos, I can now tackle my first decoder installation on a Poole era Loco. Should be interesting, not sure where i am going to put the decoder yet.

stay safe
Cheers
Graham

Bealman

In the loco might be a wise move  ;D ;)

I haven't received my NGSJ yet, either, Graham.

Good to hear you got the decoder. I'm sure many of our DCC fraternity will be interested in your endeavours.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

The loco will be the first one I ever got back in the early 80's when I first got into the hobby. It was 2nd hand then so not quite sure how old it actually is. I will be researching here, on YouTube and anywhere else I can find before I start.

Given you normally get the NGSJ a few days before me I guess I still have some waiting to do.

Trainfish

Kato car transporters from Japan - 17 days
Telescope from the Isle of Man - 2 days
Chainsaw oil from Darlington - 9 days
Basque from China - 28 days  :goggleeyes:

I think they're all doing a remarkable job given the current situation  :thumbsup:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Railwaygun

Will you wear the basque when modelling...?

Pictures please ( in plain brown email)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Trainfish

I think I may get banned from the forum if I post a picture like that. Then again, as you're a moderator, maybe not....................
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Graham

Quote from: Bealman on April 27, 2020, 09:53:51 AM
In the loco might be a wise move  ;D ;)

I haven't received my NGSJ yet, either, Graham.

Good to hear you got the decoder. I'm sure many of our DCC fraternity will be interested in your endeavours.  :thumbsup:

Well i got the loco chipped, and determined the best place to put the decoder was in the tender. Given the flexibility of the wires on the Zimo decoders this has worked a treat. I just followed the instructions from the guys at DCC Supplies using one of their DiGihat conversion kits at the recommendation of John from YouChoos where i get all my decoders from and i just have to configure the CV's to get it running a bit smoother.

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-100525/digi-hat-the-easy-way-to-convert-graham-farish.htm

I have a number of loco's from this era and was considering selling them rather than going to the effort of chipping them. Given the lockdown and lots of time on my hands has proven to be a boon.

railsquid

Quote from: Railwaygun on April 29, 2020, 06:56:03 PM
Will you wear the basque when modelling...?

Pictures please ( in plain brown email)

I ordered a Basque once, and my home got raided by the Spanish counter-terrorism police.

Meanwhile, of the 3 books I ordered from the UK at the start of April, and which were sent out separately because whatever, one arrived a couple of days ago, two still presumably in transit.

Bealman

I don't want to hijack this thread, but @Graham I'm crying out to know what the loco is!!

Graham

No problem George, here you go.

I bought this Duchess from a chap named Trevor Carlisle when i first joined the N. Beds N Gauge group, his daughter and mine were at school together and she told me he had a train set. I asked to see it and got asked to come to the club as they needed someone to do some wiring for the club layout. Needless to say that was almost 40yrs ago and i am still playing with N Gauge.

cheers
Graham

Graham

Its a bit worse for wear, but that is part of the charm. It is Farish with metal gears. The coaches were bought at the same time.

Bealman

Plucked from letterbox, about half an hour ago:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations