Graham Farish coaches.

Started by Old Crow, October 14, 2017, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

New to all this and astonished just how light these are. Just collecting what I can afford used at moment and might have to repaint some. Any advice here. Anyone done this. Can you get them apart - or remove the glazing etc which would be necessary for a total respray (BR Maroon)  Or are the window bars printed on? Other alternative is to paint out the brown on GW stock to simulate the crimson and cream era - I see you can get lining decals etc; Who makes the best paint?

PLD

It all depends on what type of coach and of when they were made... There are numerous types and all are different...

Some are easy to remove the roof, others not so.
Some have separate glazing inserts, others the livery is printed directly onto a clear plastic shell.

You'll need to say which type (or types) you have. If not sure post some photos...

broadsword

The older types which are clear plastic bodies with windows printed on
are marked GRAFAR underneath, the newer types with better detailing
and separate glazing are marked BACHMANN. Not sure how easy to remove
the roof and repaint these, though I'm sure other forum members who have
done so can advise. Only coach I have painted was an old Lima one using Halfords
car paint for maroon, result was surprisingly good. Hope this helps.

javlinfaw7

There is a good article on stripping Farish coaches on www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

mickd247

Quote from: broadsword on October 14, 2017, 09:00:44 AM
The older types which are clear plastic bodies with windows printed on
are marked GRAFAR underneath, the newer types with better detailing
and separate glazing are marked BACHMANN. Not sure how easy to remove
the roof and repaint these, though I'm sure other forum members who have
done so can advise. Only coach I have painted was an old Lima one using Halfords
car paint for maroon, result was surprisingly good. Hope this helps.

Actually what @PLD said is correct, even some of the old GRAFAR coaches have window inserts, they are not all clear plastic bodied.  For the later Bachmann coaches do a forum search as I'm sure there is a very good tutorial on dismantling them.

HTH

:beers:

Mick

Newportnobby

Quote from: mickd247 on October 14, 2017, 01:23:28 PM
For the later Bachmann coaches do a forum search as I'm sure there is a very good tutorial on dismantling them.

I think this is the one Mick refers to.................

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2815.0

Old Crow

Thanks guys. Mine are the older type where the window detail does look as if it is screen printed on; so not I thing suitable for dismantling. I still think I need to add some weight to the rogue bogie somehow.
Any love for Lima and Hornby minintrix coaches that you do see second hand. Perhaps not so accurate but any owners comments?

railsquid

Quote from: Old Crow on October 14, 2017, 10:12:56 PM
Thanks guys. Mine are the older type where the window detail does look as if it is screen printed on; so not I thing suitable for dismantling. I still think I need to add some weight to the rogue bogie somehow.
Any love for Lima and Hornby minintrix coaches that you do see second hand. Perhaps not so accurate but any owners comments?
Lima coaches are hopelessly underscale and look out-of-place with modern Farish ones. They have old-style "pizza-cutter" wheels but run quite well (I even use one for checking if track is level).

Contrast with Lima (left) and modern Farish (right):

Minitrix are somewhat better, but IIRC all the ones I've acquired have plastic wheels; I've rewheeled them with Farish ones which are a great improvement.

Both have deeply-indented windows and no interiors.

Both are fine in in terms of "playabilty".

Bealman

Yes, the deep window indents are what spoils those models. I thingk someone on this forum said that they equate to about a one foot wide ledge!!  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silly moo

The Lima coaches are heavier and underscale but seem to be more forgiving of slightly dodgy track. I had a rake that I ran for years on our club layout as the Poole Farish ones derailed all over the place.

I think the new Bachmann Farish coaches are the best, they run well and look good.

AndyRA

Minitrix coaches have a useful function if you aren't that good at assembling coach kit shells. All my Minitrix coaches were converted to Brass sided conversions, with Clearfix flush glazed windows.

Andy.
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

railsquid

FWIW a quick photographical comparison of N gauge Mk1 models through the ages:

LoneStar (technically OOO, not viable to run on modern N gauge):

Lima:

Mintrix:

Farish (Poole, "printed" sides):

Farish (Blue Riband):

Apologies for the iffy photo quality.

Old Crow

Again thanks guys - the current issue GF ones seem to be the best then?
Mine are the Poole issue and, as has been said, are a bit tender and very light. I think they need a bit of weight personally.

Newportnobby

Personally I think the Farish 'Blue Riband' are smashing carriages. They used to be labelled as 'Blue Riband' but now Farish make them all to that standard so the rosette has been dropped from the labels as far as I know.

Delboy

There is nothing wrong with the photos. They are great. :thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations