Class 180 Adelante Kit

Started by G_N_E_R, April 20, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

crewearpley40

looking forward to more about the Glasgow units david

pape_timmo

Loving the Adelante model, looks amazing
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Bob Tidbury

I saw this running last Saturday at the club running afternoon it looked very very nice David still has one or two things to sort out regarding weight etc but it really looked good .and ran well .
Not my cup of coffee but still appreciate a fantastic bit of modelling when I see it . He also showed us one of the other models he has on the workbench the G W R Great Bear and he showed me how he can scale down and get everything sorted out for the C A D  drawings ,it really was interesting but way beyond my capabilities .
Bob Tidbury
By the way the Berkshire N Gauge Group are a really friendly bunch of guys so if you live in the Reading area why not get in touch with them They do have a web site and would wellcome new members .They meet at Sindlesham Baptist Church Hall I believe it's on a Wednesday evening .I wish I had a car and lived nearer and I would join .but I'm only a guest at running days .

Snowwolflair

Over the next month I am going to revisit this model and build a second unit.  Since I assembled the original unit electrically conducting magnetic couplings have become available and this will be a far better method to use on this model.  Prints are on order and I will start in a few weeks.  For anyone interested I still have sets of the Dynamic lines transfers specifically to fit the Adelante available.

njee20

Are they the Peho 4-pole couplings? They do look interesting.

Snowwolflair

Yes they are and as I have had a few to play with I am very impressed.

pape_timmo

Very interested, I hope you'll put the new build on here too.

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

Snowwolflair

Quote from: pape_timmo on June 27, 2020, 12:01:34 AM
Very interested, I hope you'll put the new build on here too.

Cheers, Timmo

Yes as a description of the upgrade to the chassis design. 

My plan is to build the new one with the better electrical connections and bogies, and then refurbish the original model with the new wiring and new bogies. 

The designer has a set of bogies listed on Shapeways which I have asked him to list in Black PA12 Nylon 3D material.  They were listed in High detail plastic but that materiel wears very quickly if used for bogies and the PA12 is much better, and was not available when I did the first build.

I have a particular fondness for the Adelante class as I used to travel weekly to London on them.

pape_timmo

As a passenger I think they had a nice environment, for crew they were a pig as I understand. Good when they worked. Terrible otherwise. Had a tendency to burst into flames at any moment too in the earlier years.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

My YouTube channel

Snowwolflair

By the time they were operating the Oxford to Paddington off peak express service Oxford-Reading-Slough-Paddington just before they were withdrawn they were fine and as you say were very comfortable for passengers.

robert shrives

Having experienced the GC ones - good interior best of the bunch after a MK3.  But mechanically and electrically a woeful mess - if they worked then it did seem more luck than design, Heaton did their best and Crofton has tried as well. sometimes sets would run for days well and others bare get off depot before limping back on. The idea of coupling them together was a joke as they did not work and crews not trained/ lost competence, In the need several sets were repaired for a period when attempted to couple to Hull Trains ones - but they are now 802s so that is that. 
Great model after much faffing my shells in WSF - as was are now in black and orange but more to do.
Robert       

monkey_brains

Quote from: pape_timmo on June 27, 2020, 12:28:04 AM
Had a tendency to burst into flames at any moment too in the earlier years.

And later years too - Hull Trains had the fire brigade out more than once

And lets not forget the time one of them decided to dump the contents of its fuel tanks on the track north of Peterborough and block the ECML for hours on end
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

monkey_brains

Quote from: robert shrives on June 27, 2020, 04:56:59 AM
In the need several sets were repaired for a period when attempted to couple to Hull Trains ones - but they are now 802s so that is that.   

In the last year you could really tell the Hull Trains ones were knackered and not being looked after - when they first had them and OOC was still looking after them they were cracking kit from my perspective as a passenger.

In the later years, no heating in winter and blankets being given out... whoever thought that was acceptable should have been shot!
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations