Class 180 Adelante Kit

Started by G_N_E_R, April 20, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_N_E_R

Hey folks,
This has just caught my eye and I may make myself a few of them over the next winter to keep myself busy and indoors! Looks like a very smart kit to me! They also make a Class 378 and Electrostar for those interested :D

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cmacmodels

Kindest Regards
Philip

Snowwolflair

Anyone got thoughts on suitable chassis, I guess Tomix, but anyone tried yet.

davidinyork

185s as well, I see - that's a major gap in the current ready to run market, given that they are pretty much ubiquitous in all of the larger stations in the north.

robert shrives

For the chassis I would have thought the Bachmann 170 would be a starting point or the 350 half chassis with a splice to extend chassis given bogies look similar - and these units are on bargain price levels at some suppliers.
The 3D print views do look very good. As ever liveries on modern trains a bit of a dogs dinner but perhaps decals intended for other models  can be used?

Robert   

davidinyork

Quote from: robert shrives on May 08, 2016, 03:49:22 PM
For the chassis I would have thought the Bachmann 170 would be a starting point or the 350 half chassis with a splice to extend chassis given bogies look similar

Or the Farish / Dapol Voyager maybe?

robert shrives

David,
I had thought of that as underframe shape might help but the Voyagers  are small wheeled afairs and quite short bogie wheelbase to boot so I am still "minded" to go 350 route - and I have a pile of bits from Peters spares last year! A quick look at google showed 350 and 185 bogies looking much the same - less plank for shoe gear!
Robert

Mustermark

I would like one of these, and would be keen to see how others get on with the 3D prints.

I guess Adam could do vinyls...?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Snowwolflair

If the Shapeways 3D printing is as good as it appears then transfers of the Neon lines is what will be needed.

[smg id=39333 type=preview align=center caption="Hugh llewelyn 180 105 (7783034114)"]

robert shrives

Reason why I have a WSF for my Grand Central one. My FUD body will be in Barbie on a low loader !

Robert   

njee20

Keep nearly buying one of the Electrostars, they do look good.

koyli55002

I believe the 350's are also made by Siemens so I guess the Farish 350 may be a good starting point - I've seen a few chassis going "cheepish" on that auction site from time to time ?

njee20

350s are going cheap all over the place at the moment!

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on May 09, 2016, 06:55:24 PM
350s are going cheap all over the place at the moment!

Yes, evidently they've not been a good seller.

This probably means that nobody will be rushing to produce any other modern EMUs in a hurry...

davidinyork

Quote from: Only Me on May 09, 2016, 08:13:11 PM
Revolution 32x ahem!!

@Ben A  👀

True - but a bit different in that you are producing what you know you can sell, rather than taking a punt on a much bigger batch as the larger manufacturers do!

Ben A

Hello all,

I suspect what this proves is what many retailers know:  the N Gauge market, especially for relatively niche modern stuff, has no real depth.  And it's hard to predict what will fly out of the door, and what will linger.

Farish have a minimum production run of 3000 of any new item in the first run.  To clear a profit on expensive tooling, R&D etc they need to sell that many.  Any fewer and your unit costs go up.  A lot.

Revolution has a minimum production run of 1000. 

So how can we make the numbers stack up?

1)  We are selling direct, so there is no retailer margin.  If there were, our models would be nearly twice as expensive.  In effect our "trade" price is the same as their RRP.

2)  We are taking money up front to fund development.  This means not just that the factory takes us seriously but also we don't have to borrow money and pay interest, take risks etc.  Those who want the model do have to step up, but as long as there are 1000 of us (or at least, 1000 sales) we can go forward.

cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations