Great service at B+Q from a fellow modeller

Started by sparky, July 15, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Well we came home from our holiday last night and with the rest of the week off work I decided to finally get some wood for my back scene boards which I have been threatening to finally get around to for the last couple of months..got to B&Q and noticed they still offered a cutting service..young guy operating the saw asked what I was after and for what purpose and then declared his dad was heavily into OO gauge and he himself had a small N layout on the go..he then went and got the sheet I needed, making sure it was straight and true, cut all length's to the same height and exact lengths I needed then loaded it all onto a trolley and after I had paid helped me load it all into my car...top service...

Newportnobby

That's nice to hear.
One advantage of being over 60 is that we get 10% off on Wednesdays (well, there has to be some advantage to being that age) :D

Skyline2uk

Having spent a good portion of this last year in that orange shop I am glad you had such helpful service. Young people don't always get good press and retail staff in general seem to attract complaints and gripes when it goes wrong and not much when it goes right.

Thanks for posting  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Malc

I once heard some young oik in B & Q respond to a question about laying paving slabs. He responded by saying, " Don't ask me, you are supposed to do it yourself" I don't think he was joking.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

DELETED

There's nothing wrong with BnQ per-se.  But it's common in lots of places now that folk who work there aren't employed for the knowledge of the subject (it's often the same in industry now).  Maplins and Halfords are majorly like that also these days, the folk serving often have no idea about their product (I've overheard some horrific advice given then caught the customer quietly afterwards and helped share some proper advice).  BnQ does wind me up sometimes though, but then I grew up working in a proper hardware store and doing all my friends building and DIY for beer tokens.  Working in the shop I did you had to know what you were talking about and we were always dealing with folk who thought the big stores were better and went there first, then had to help fix their mistakes or mis-advice afterwards.  Full credit to your man for helping you properly in BnQ though!

Bealman

Quote from: newportnobby on July 15, 2015, 12:30:17 PM
That's nice to hear.
One advantage of being over 60 is that we get 10% off on Wednesdays (well, there has to be some advantage to being that age) :D

You obviously look younger and fitter for the other six days of the week, then.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on July 15, 2015, 10:28:35 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on July 15, 2015, 12:30:17 PM
That's nice to hear.

You obviously look younger and fitter for the other six days of the week, then.  :D

I think that would require major plastic surgery/facial reconstruction, George :-[

Bealman

Actually I find that Wednesday thing strange... we don't have that here. I have this vision of the shop being wall to wall walking frames and scooters every Wednesday   ;D

Railwaygun

B& Q used to have a policy of employing older ( more knowledgeable) staff as they were more reliable than their younger counterparts.

Does this still pertain?
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

JasonBz

Quote from: Railwaygun on July 16, 2015, 03:15:39 AM
B& Q used to have a policy of employing older ( more knowledgeable) staff as they were more reliable than their younger counterparts.

Does this still pertain?

To a degree it does, though you seem to have to hunt them down :D
Better than competitor, sort of, where the staff can do laugh and smile lots, but seem to know nowt at all.

Agrippa

Last time I was in B&Q I asked this dude where the soldering irons were and he
took me to a shelf with plumbers blowlamps, can't recall if he was old or young
but he was just a numpty.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on July 15, 2015, 10:41:22 PM
Actually I find that Wednesday thing strange... we don't have that here. I have this vision of the shop being wall to wall walking frames and scooters every Wednesday   ;D

You're not wrong, George :no:
It's not known as 'whitetop day' for nothing (hastens to add I don't have a white top - in fact, I have no top) :laugh:

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations