A question about stripping

Started by Fratton, February 24, 2013, 04:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fratton

Burlesque or exotic?
:D

on a more serious note, i've sprayed a shell and although i like the look of the lines i haven't been economical with layers and i've lost some of the detail,

ive heard of bathing a shell in mr muscle to remove original paint will this work for enamels too? if possible i'd like to take it back to bare plastic and try again and tape out my colours better this time.

Anyone that knows a plastic friendly method that could help i would much appreciate it

many thanks
charlie

Charlie.

dodger

I've always used Model strip from Precision Paints. Expensive but it works on grafar metal and plastic bodies and white metal. It can be reused and after a period of time the particles can be filtered off.

Dodger

longbridge

Most Americans use Brake Fluid, I also used Brake Fluid and it does take all the paint off back to the plastic, it is best to try a plastic the same as the model you want to strip, I do know that Brake Fluid will dissolve Kato plastics.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Tank

I must confess that Mr Muscle oven cleaner didn't work well for me until I used a scourer to 'break through' the paint, and then it began to break down the paint.  I'd say it took as long as brasso.  If only there was a quicker method!!!

I'd suggest to Bachmann/Farish to start selling blank coaches, but they have never replied to any of my emails. :thumbsdown:

upnick

Hi  Charlie,   

I use  Fairy powerspray to  strip  enamels  from  plastic  it'snot caustic as other  methods ........... place the item to   be  stripped in a plastic bag spray it liberally with lots of Fairy Powerspray & seal the bag tightly, leave overnight for the powerspray to work (it may not take overnight depends on  how stubborn the paint is) after donning safety glasses to protect against splashes open the bag over the sink use a toothbrush dry all over and the paint will be loose once your convinced you have gone all over the body place the body under a running cold tap and clean the body off.

One application of the powerspray may strip back to bare plastic if it needs another application dry the item  thoroughly & repeat.

scotsoft

I've used Fairy Powersray after Upnick recommended it to me and it took roughly 95% of the paint off.
There were no nasty fumes from the powerspray and I did not need to soak it overnight.
The coach I used it on was a spares or repair I bought on eBay and was in a terrible state.

So I would recommend Fairy Powerspray  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Fratton

Thankyou for the suggestions, i have just come from tesco armed with fairy power spray a pack of tubs and some toothbrushes,,,,

i'll post my results

charlie
Charlie.

upnick

Look  forward to  hearing of your progress  Charlie   :thumbsup:

Fratton

OK if you love NSE livery don't look  :o

this is half an hour in the fairy power spray which works great as it's slimey consistency sticks to the shell, the paint came off quite easily with light tooth brush strokes leaving the primer layer to remove, another half hour in the tub and i will post the result,

oh and for NSE fans it's not changing at all it's going into the same livery after cleaning up,,,,

Charlie.

upnick

Brilliant Charlie   ;)

I  didnt say   if  you  seal  the model in a bag it seems to intensify the  stripping action  but no  damage to the plastic  :thumbsup:

Fratton

Quote from: upnick on February 24, 2013, 01:58:07 PM
Brilliant Charlie   ;)

I  didnt say   if  you  seal  the model in a bag it seems to intensify the  stripping action  but no  damage to the plastic  :thumbsup:

cheers i've got it sealed in one of those plastic takeaway type tubs, working well,,,, at least i know there's a rescue for a monumental spraying 'male chicken' (changed by forum)-up
Charlie.

Fratton

After second soak for about 40 mins, great result, every bit of paint i put on has melted away well pleased thankyou for the tip guys,,,,,

Charlie.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations