What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Those are pretty good model buildings for 'mock ups'. The final versions will be well worth seeing.

Cutter

Thanks Chris. These mock-ups help me figure out the dimensions and detailing of structures I have very incomplete information for, and I have the time to make them now, but won't have when I get the layout started. I plan custom etched windows because of the distinctive dimensions and arched design. The biggest challenge will be the brickwork, which is a particular bond and a distinctive orangey red color. The signal box and footbridge will be buggers. The footbridge has lattice panels on the walkways and vertical banisters on the stairs. It also has three gas lamps rising from the handrails and a third staircase descending to the goods yard. Fortunately there were very few buildings near Welwyn North in my chosen period!

Newportnobby

Why do I have the feeling your 'mock ups' will prove to be better than my ''male chicken' (changed by forum) ups'? :worried: :'(

Stevie DC

Quote from: Cutter on September 01, 2014, 11:32:32 PM
I am modeling Welwyn North Station on the Great Northern Mail Line, c.1925-35. At present I am collecting stock and kits to build, planning a layout, and trying to figure out where to build it--I live in a house without a basement, attic or garage! True to scale, within the station limits the trackwork at Welwyn North is about 22 feet long--I will have to condense it considerably, and can get it down to 12 feet or so. I am busy figuring out the various station buildings, and have been making crude coloured card mock-ups to help in my layout and structure planning:

Hi Cutter, great to see someone else modelling a 'proper' railway in its prime! (OK so the LNER was in dire straights financially but boy did they achieve some feats!)

Welwyn North was, and still is, a major bottleneck on the ECML. I can see you being able to run an intensive service through the station as trains battle for the right of way!

Welwyn North was also very much part of the London suburban service, have you had any thoughts about how to tackle the quad sets yet?

Cutter

Hi Steve,

I grew up near Welwyn North and commuted from it for a few years. My father gre up in the area too, in the 30s, and he was always an LNER man. His enthusiasm has transferred to me! Right now in the two hours I get to work on the project in a good week I am busy with the Harrogate Pullman and Northern Belle. Suburban services will be on my radar when Steve Banks' book comes out--or did I dream that up?

Chris in Prague

I'll be using mock-ups to help me figure out how to scratch-build the buildings for Cant Cove based on those of the station on which it is modelled (for which I have plans).

Cutter

Cool! I have found the mock-ups great for figuring out details and proportions, as well as designs and techniques to avoid in the real thing. They are helping me with planning gradients for my topography--important given the truncation of the site I have to adopt. And I get some idea in advance how my models will look as a group.

EssexN

Into the third year of modelling the LTSR at Shoeburyness and a small section of the Shoebury Military Tramway, Trying to include most types of trains that ran on this line, eg Thundersley, scratch building and taking forever to make. Mallard, which travelled down to Southend Central, 80xxx, class 37, HST and many other Diesels that made an appearance on Merrymaker trains of the period.

chrispearce

:hellosign: I am a new boy to this forum. I am currently battling to plan a possible layout. I fancy trying to capture the feel of those O gauge empires that I saw pictures of in my youth - Norman Eagle's Sherwood Section etc. Obviously smaller in size and scale! Probably LMS/LNER as those monster 'railways in miniature' seemed to be and I have a small collection of suitable locos and stock. I am, however, at head-scratching and snag-solving stage but I think I can detect just a whiff of progress.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

CarriageShed

Hello Chris. That sounds like a fine ambition, although more planning is definitely better than less. I spent over a year planning mine before anything was started. Until then I just fine-tuned the plan, built up my loco and rolling stock collection, and saved up for the spend on materials for the layout. Be sure to start a thread in Layout Planning so that we can see how you're getting on.

Westbury

Another newcomer to the hobby here. No real plan on where I want to go yet but rather than just buying random items items I liked I'd stick for now with just buying loco's and rolling stock that was around when I was a kid late 50's into the 60's... era 5 as they call it

A J39 and class 4F steam loco's from Farish and a Dapol class 22 Diesel so far plus about 20 pieces of rolling stock.

:)

Wingman mothergoose

As some of you may be aware, my GC themed layout Sherwood Central has now passed into memory, as I've come into possession of a part built layout of Whetstone, which was a real station on the GCR's London Extension and was the first station south of Leicester Central. The guy who built it had based the track plan on how it was in the BR period, which fits my chosen period just fine.
I've already posted some photos and updates on the N Gauge Forum Facebook group, and will shortly get a thread up and running on the main forum.
Currently I'm completing the last piece of new baseboard, and starting track laying into the storage yard. I've re used as much as I could from Sherwood Central, the baseboard frames, some of the baseboard top is now the storage yard board and I've salvaged as much flexi track and points as I could. I'm learning from previous mistakes by avoiding setrack points, and my previous attempt at wiring, while it worked fine looked like a child had done it!

Chris

coxsteve49

I am in New Zealand and my layout is loosely modelled on KiwiRail, but I am not at all a stickler for prototypical realism.

Bealman

Oh gawd, another Kiwi  ;) ;D

A big welcome to the forum from across the ditch, coxsteve49! Looking forward to hearing about a KiwiRail-based layout!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Hi Steve, and welcome aboard :wave:
Looking forward to hearing more about your layout.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations