Gaugemaster Collection: Class 73's

Started by guest6298, August 31, 2018, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamB

As I was in the area I visited Leigh's shop last Tuesday. He's baracaded in by parcels and quite a few stacks of 73's. He's a lovely chap and I'm sure he will get them processed as fast as he can.

I can't quote my source of course but it appears Gaugemaster may have rejected the 73's more than once and that may be why the electric blue version is not yet available.

I started running mine in last night. Another half an hour each way today should do it. Then it will be a case of picking out the excess white grease and seeing if I can get the body to chip it and get it ready for Uckfield tomorrow.

Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Safety Engineer

I was concerned that members of the forum seemed to be getting their orders from other suppliers, yet nothing from Colletts. Thought maybe post had gone adrift, mind now at rest, guess I'll just have to be patient.

TRXsouth

I was also puzzled about paying the balance for my Colletts Class 73 pre-order when others seemed to be receiving them from other retailers, so called them on Friday. Colletts apologised as they had received the Class 73s but were snowed under with orders; although they were packing, none would be sent on Friday but there will be a large mail out on Monday. I provided my card details and am now on tenterhooks for a midweek delivery. Incidentally, I noted that Kent Garden Railways at Saturday's West Wickham & Beckenham show had some Class 73s at £87.99, so Colletts £84.95 including postage is an attractive deal.

Bob G

Quote from: TRXsouth on October 17, 2021, 01:25:37 AM
I was also puzzled about paying the balance for my Colletts Class 73 pre-order when others seemed to be receiving them from other retailers, so called them on Friday. Colletts apologised as they had received the Class 73s but were snowed under with orders; although they were packing, none would be sent on Friday but there will be a large mail out on Monday. I provided my card details and am now on tenterhooks for a midweek delivery. Incidentally, I noted that Kent Garden Railways at Saturday's West Wickham & Beckenham show had some Class 73s at £87.99, so Colletts £84.95 including postage is an attractive deal.
Colletts is a one man shop. They also undercut everyone at the start and I got the first two of mine for £79.99 (I have since increased my order to four (two green and two blue) because it is clear 73s are not going to come along that often.
Bob

Chris Morris

Oh no! I need 4 in GBRf livery to replicate this 2016 scene. Go to 1:28.

Was Wildebeeste a widely used nickname for these?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Bob G

Quote from: Chris Morris on October 17, 2021, 11:24:10 AM
Was Wildebeeste a widely used nickname for these?
We used to call them shoeboxes, presumably because in BR blue they were pretty dull. They were also boxy with slab sides. Very utilitarian. Very southern, to be honest.
Bob

Chris Morris

Maybe the tour name came from Fawlty Towers? 4 of these could possibly be a herd of Wildebeeste sweeping majestically across Torquay (on their way to Paignton).
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Newportnobby

Nice superelevation on those curves.
If they're called 'Wildebeeste' their horns are about on par for N gauge i.e. very poor.

bluedepot

i got my pre-ordered locos from colletts on wednesday. i got the nse loco 73126 and dutch loco 73128.

i just got around to running them in now.

decoration i think is good - and possibly some details are slightly finer than previous releases - im not 100% sure, but seems like it to me.

i have put a lenz silver in one and a zimo chip in the other. both motors are smooth running. no derailments so far but they have only been through medium or large radius points quite slowly.

the sole bar / frame is extremely weak plastic and clipping the frame back into the body was a bit tricky.

they are very light. I'll try a haulage test later on.

my main concern is a very slight wobble or shaking. any ideas how to fix that? or is it like that on every example?

they were 80 pounds each so not bad for the price.

tim

Bob G

I have two green and one BR blue from Colletts.
The chassis is not always well fitted and the weight is the same as all Dapol DCC ready 73s. Basically a rubbish plastic chassis.
But for the price they are fine.
I don't think there is any difference in engineering between the earlier and later models. That DCC chassis has been around since 2007.

The green ones are fantastic colour wise. Much better green than the brighter MU green used on the Signal Box E6003 from 2007. However that green is not so far away from the current green as the new BR blue one is from what is real BR Blue.
The BR blue one is a totally unacceptable blue compared with the earlier Dapol 73s or even their recent 33s.
And the warning yellow is a pathetic primrose yellow, unlike any BR yellow I've ever seen (and just like Dapols OO warning panel yellow).
I'm sure someone at Dapol or Gaugemaster is colourblind, or certainly isn't consistent, which is what you need as a manufacturer.

It will be weathered to death so that it fits in with the others, and if it still doesn't, it will be sold on.

Bob

bluedepot

class 73s in action this evening hauling 10 coaches ok (double headed - but they were off the third rail network)

https://youtu.be/IN3BQIwqW3M

tim

violets49

There are some 73 today that are working WELL off of the third rail. I passed one in Glasgow the other day! :)

bluedepot

yup - re-engined though

still seems strange to see a 73 up north though

tim

Mr Sprue

One of my favourite liveries is the Dave Jones N Sprays Railtrack.  I've been fortunate to acquire these and an extra dummy loco which I motorised and fitted the lighting from a spare body.

bluedepot

very nice i like those railtrack 73s!

i think rapido or revolution should make a new version class 73 with better detail and dcc sound plus sparking effect!

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations