Gaugemaster Collection: Class 73's

Started by guest6298, August 31, 2018, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSan

Just got mine in the post, had a quick look in how to remove the body, seems there's six clips which can be unclipped using a nail, and then to reattach just need to do the same in reverse, there is a wire at the back which attaches the body to the chassis. Does feel rather light compared to the old one.
Bosnport - A Fictional P'Mouth and S'Sea based Layout upon a Bunk Bed
Gosport Railworks - My Youtube Channel
3D Printing Services

Primary Modelling eras/region: Era 3 '30s Southern, Era 4-5 BR(S) and Era 8 Network Southeast

Newportnobby

My green version arrived today. By heck, but it's tight in the packaging so some trimming will be needed to avoid breaking anything. First impression is a good looking loco but I agree with JimSan in that it is very light weight-wise. Still, it won't be pulling much as it will always be on 600hp diesel power for me :D Gave it the required light oiling and set it on my Kato test oval - nice and smooth in both directions. Destination blind lighting works fine in either direction but I'd have liked at least one red rear lamp (if they ever had them, of course). 9/10 for me, especially for £84.95 these days.

GrahamB

Given the three year delay I'd rather hoped they had reengineered the frames to go back to the metal frames of the non DCC ready version as they run so much better but, at the price I guess that was never going to happen.

Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

GrahamB

I popped into Colletts at Exmouth this morning to pick up a green 73 for a friend of mine which we'd ordered alonside the electric blue one which hasn't arrived yet.

Whilst there I weakened and bought one for Southwark Bridge. It's a bit early for me but rule one applies. Depending on time (Running in and chipping) it might make an appearance on Southwark Bridge at Uckfield over the weekend.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

talisman56

Quote from: Bob G on October 07, 2021, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: GrahamB on October 07, 2021, 02:00:18 PM
I've had a e-mail from Gaugemaster, it said; "GM2210202 is still awaiting production, as yet we do not have a release date."

Ho hum.
My next question is over what time period was the 73 painted green?

The 73/0 started life in green w/o yellow panels, then some got small yellow panels. They went into BR blue from 1967. Some have cream skirts, some not. Its a bit of a minefield.

Bob

The 'skirts' you are referring to were in fact light grey...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

talisman56

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 11, 2021, 02:04:10 PM
Destination blind lighting works fine in either direction but I'd have liked at least one red rear lamp (if they ever had them, of course).

They didn't - on the Southern Region illuminated red blanks in the headcode display was the accepted method of indicating the rear of a light engine. In other places, a red lamp hung on the lamp iron was required.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bob G

Quote from: talisman56 on October 13, 2021, 10:57:49 AM
Quote from: Bob G on October 07, 2021, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: GrahamB on October 07, 2021, 02:00:18 PM
I've had a e-mail from Gaugemaster, it said; "GM2210202 is still awaiting production, as yet we do not have a release date."

Ho hum.
My next question is over what time period was the 73 painted green?

The 73/0 started life in green w/o yellow panels, then some got small yellow panels. They went into BR blue from 1967. Some have cream skirts, some not. Its a bit of a minefield.

Bob

The 'skirts' you are referring to were in fact light grey...

Thank you for correcting my throwaway comments, which you obviously don't think are useful. I won't bother to waste my time contributing to the 73 debate again.
If Dapol's and Gaugemaster's errors were less significant than mine then we would all be happy. As it is, their colour renditions are much worse.
Better to have a go at them, eh?

Bob

GScaleBruce

My BR blue 73/1 arrived today.

The blue is a much better shade than the previous versions - here it is seen alongside 73 111.

The pale grey air horns jar on the eye, but I think from photos on Flickr are correct. Not sure whether the roof patches should have been grey as 73 111. It seems to run reasonably smoothly, albeit with a slight waddle. It'll need short shank couplings in due course. The instructions state that the loco must be oiled before first use or the warranty will be invalidated, but inspection shows more white stuff than enough on the gears - should I really be adding oil???

For anyone interested in the prototype, I've pieced together the following (corrections and additions welcome). 73 124 was in rail blue until at least 1986/7, which means it fits nicely with Stoneham Yard's time period of 1980-1986. There are photos of it on the South Western Division of the Southern Region hauling passenger trains, parcels trains and the Chessington coal train. It became part of the Gatwick Express pool and was painted into InterCity large logo livery in 1987, possibly when it was named "London Chamber of Commerce". It was renumbered to 73 205 as part of the Gatwick Express pool by April 1988 and subsequently in GB Railfreight livery was named "Jeanette". Now 73 964.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

Safety Engineer

Has anyone had their order for the class73 from Collette models yet?

Bob G

Quote from: Safety Engineer on October 14, 2021, 04:23:33 PM
Not yet, but I spoke to them last week to update my card details and they were anticipating receiving them on Monday. Hattons just emailed to say their complete tranche had arrived today.
I think that Rails had an early set of locos but are currently waiting for their main deliveries.

Frustrating eh?
Bob

Southerngooner

Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

LASteve

Quote from: Bob G on October 14, 2021, 04:39:31 PM

I think that Rails had an early set of locos but are currently waiting for their main deliveries.

Bob
Rails contacted me a couple of days ago to update my payment details and were shipping out to me yesterday (BR Blue 73124)

Bob G

Quote from: LASteve on October 14, 2021, 05:26:42 PM
Quote from: Bob G on October 14, 2021, 04:39:31 PM

Bob
Rails contacted me a couple of days ago to update my payment details and were shipping out to me yesterday (BR Blue 73124)
I thought you only collected E numbers :)

LASteve

Quote from: Bob G on October 14, 2021, 06:05:20 PM
I thought you only collected E numbers :)
Yep, guilty as charged. I'd pre-ordered the Electric Blue E6039 but also really wanted a BR Blue example. The only option was the TOPS-numbered 73124, so I convinced myself that I was perfectly cabable of doing a renumber to the pre-TOPS E6031, not ever having attempted a renumber before, but hey, how hard can it be?  :no:

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Safety Engineer on October 14, 2021, 04:23:33 PM

Yes my Yellow Network Rail ones arrived today.

Might be an idea to phone Leigh just to check everything is okay, he wont mind he is a very friendly helpful guy.

When your order is dispatched he will email you. But still best to check as with everyone else here these orders are over three years old now!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations