Bob G

Try these EDs in green with off white skirts

Without SYP
E6002 NYP 1962 Stewarts Lane https://zenfolio.page.link/5dLRE
E6003 NYP 1967 Eastleigh https://zenfolio.page.link/NUjaq
E6004 NYP 1968 Clapham https://zenfolio.page.link/EZS6L

With SYP
E6002 SYP 1967 Hither Green https://zenfolio.page.link/1TC31

But by 1969 most were in Banger Blue with FYPs.

I'm tempted to buy another green one... I've just bought another green one

Bob

Mark

Quote from: Bob G on October 08, 2021, 04:59:30 PM

I'm tempted to buy another green one...

Bob

At £85 it's madness not to ...

Thanks for those photos Bob, much appreciated - good to know I wasn't completely imagining it.

Mark

Bob G

Quote from: Mark on October 08, 2021, 05:06:05 PM

Bob

Thanks for those photos Bob, much appreciated - good to know I wasn't completely imagining it.

Mark

I just edited my post :)

Mark

Quote from: Bob G on October 08, 2021, 05:07:34 PM
Quote from: Mark on October 08, 2021, 05:06:05 PM

Bob

Mark

I just edited my post :)

Well done!  You know it makes sense!  :thumbsup:

LASteve

Photo evidence is not friendly to this question. I did find this description, but no dates regarding when the JA's were missing the SWP:

"The JAs were out-shopped in green with small yellow warning panels although soon the warning panels were removed for a time and a light coloured band applied at solebar level, then the warning panels were later reapplied. As to the shade of green and the light coloured band be warned published accounts vary. The green has been described as Brunswick Green or a lighter shade being either malachite or BR(S) coaching stock green. The light coloured band has been described as grey or light green. Photographic evidence indicates the JAs wore light green with a grey band. The shade of green is likely to be that also carried by the class 71s and one thing is for sure is that the JAs carried the coach roundel rather than the BR emblem."

[Credit: https://sremg.org.uk/electric/class73.shtml - the page also shows a picture of E6013 at Wimbledon in 1966 with the SWP applied]

I did come across this postcard currently offered on the auction site ebid.net. No photo credit is provided, but is described "E6004 Stewarts Lane Depot 1962". No warning panel.

Mark

Quote from: LASteve on October 08, 2021, 05:37:41 PM

"The JAs were out-shopped in green with small yellow warning panels although soon the warning panels were removed for a time and a light coloured band applied at solebar level, then the warning panels were later reapplied. As to the shade of green and the light coloured band be warned published accounts vary. The green has been described as Brunswick Green or a lighter shade being either malachite or BR(S) coaching stock green. The light coloured band has been described as grey or light green. Photographic evidence indicates the JAs wore light green with a grey band. The shade of green is likely to be that also carried by the class 71s and one thing is for sure is that the JAs carried the coach roundel rather than the BR emblem."

[Credit: https://sremg.org.uk/electric/class73.shtml - the page also shows a picture of E6013 at Wimbledon in 1966 with the SWP applied]

Clearly lots of inconsistencies and uncertainties and indeed shades of green and grey - no bad thing necessarily. With this and Bob G's photos and info above I guess green with no panels and electric blue can reasonably comfortably appear on the layout at the same time without it being too much of a historical no-no.  I have a fairly relaxed approach to timeframe anyway.

Mark

Bob G

Quote from: LASteve on October 08, 2021, 05:37:41 PM
The page also shows a picture of E6013 at Wimbledon in 1966 with the SWP applied

Unfortunately both the mind and colour photography at the time play tricks on us.

Only the JAs (73/0) wore green. So that's E6001-6006. Your postcard is of E6003 and E6004.

E6013 from the website is actually in a light electric blue and minus any roundel/BR double arrow.

The forthcoming E6033 should be in BR blue with a white roof and SYP - even though it is described as electric blue, but from all photo evidence I have seen it wasn't electric blue but a trick of the light roof and white windows! Anyway we shall see - the Dapol OO version is OK so lets hope they copy that.

Most went into the standard BR blue with blue roof and FYP in 1969.

Bob

Bob G

I've been doing some research on the green liveries that I can find in photos and in my book of 73s and 74s.
The green is very probably coaching stock/MU green as used on BR(S) coaches and CEP EMUs for example.
E6001-3 had oval coach buffers. The rest of the EDs had round oleo buffers.

E6001.
Green/SYP/No grey solebar/dark grey roof overall/oval coach buffers. Feb 1962 - ????.
Green/SYP/Grey solebar. 1967-1969.
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

E6002
Green/no yellow panel/no grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/oval coach buffers. 1962.
Green/no yellow panel/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/oval coach buffers (1962 approx date).
Green/SYP/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs 1967.
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

E6003
Green/no yellow panel/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/oval coach buffers. 1962.
Green/SYP/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/1967-69 ?
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

E6004
Green/no yellow panel/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/round oleo buffers. 1962-66 (68?)
Green/SYP/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/1967-69
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

E6005
Green/no yellow panel/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/round oleo buffers. 1962-68 ?
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

E6006
Green/no yellow panel/grey solebar/grey roof/green cab roofs/round oleo buffers 1962-65 (68?)
BR Blue/FYP 1969-1974

The 73/1s E6007-12 were initially in a light electric blue/SYP with grey solebar (1965-1969)
E6013-onwards were BR blue/SYP/off-white roof (this is the livery of the missing Gaugemaster 73).
This livery was carried into the early 1970s but was BR Blue/FYP pre TOPS.

HTH
Bob

LASteve

Pretty definitive I'd say. Thanks, Bob.

crewearpley40

Quote from: LASteve on October 09, 2021, 04:14:25 PM
Pretty definitive I'd say. Thanks, Bob.
incredibly useful knowledge for modellers

Bob G

Of course I have the Signal Box E6003 in "malachite" green / bright MU green with SYP too. It dates from 2007.
I cant seem to tie it in with these facts!

It could have run like this 1967-69 but I have been unable to determine this 100%
It did run like this post mode but was named Herbert Walker and had a headlight, neither of which the ED has.

So that's why I went for two of these new JAs. I can renumber one as E6004 or E6006 (I have E6005 in BR Blue), sell the earlier Signal Box model, or if the green is acceptable against the two new ones, renumber that one as  E6004 !!!

Happy electro diesel days

Bob

Southerngooner

So my 73 finally arrived today, and runs well from the off on my test track. I'm not keen on the illuminated head code, which doesn't shine through the two white areas, just gleams away behind, so that might have to go. Other than that it looks fine. Here it is on Brickmakers Lane representing the newest loco in the fleet (built 1962) while my last purchase, a Terrier (to be converted to a P) represents the oldest (1878). Eagle eyed spotters will note that the high level hidden tracks behind the goods yard have disappeared in advance of the baseboard extension starting soon......

Dave

Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

bluedepot

maybe you dim the light behind the headcode blind?

on zimo i think cv 60 controls this. not sure about other decoders.

cheers

tim

Southerngooner

I'm DC only so taking it out seems the best option. I'm not one for gimmicks such as lighting!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

bluedepot

ah ok then!

maybe paint over the light in a dirt wash, or rip out the wires!!

cheers

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations