Wrong Sizing

Started by dannyboy, October 11, 2023, 10:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

The new forum is working well for me - apart from the 'Unhappy' thread. For some reason, it is showing right across the page unlike every other, (I think), thread.

Is it the same for other members?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Just checked and it's fine for me, David.
Have you somehow altered the sizing?
Use Ctrl +/- to see if you can improve it.

crewearpley40

dannyboy

It is just the one thread, (as far as I know), giving the problem Mick @Newportnobby . This is when using Google Chrome. I tried using Opera and, whilst all the columns are in the correct place, the right hand column, i.e. everything from 'Please Support Us!' down is up against the main body of the text, whereas there is a space on all other threads. The Control +/- option has no effect on the 'fault'. It is not a major problem in the grand scheme of things, but maybe @Tank or the Tech team know something? I think it has been like this since the revamp.
David.

Yet_Another

I think it will be post 3074, which contains a massive URL. It's on the second to last page for me, but it just depends on how many posts per page you have set.

One solution is just to not read the unhappy thread, and stick with the happy thread. ;)

Edit: just noticed you were on page 1, in which case the above post can't be the reason.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

ntpntpntp

@Yet_Another   I think you are correct, if you look closely at the screenshot it is showing post #3085 despite the page number list indicating page 1. Is is possible the thread is sorted newest first somehow?  Something very odd, as NPN's post is #3084 page [206] on my browser. 

I get the same wide panel effect when post #3074 is on screen.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

It sounds like there is something wrong with my settings and/or browser, as all the threads show the latest reply at the top of page 1. It does look a bit strange when somebody has a post that reads "I agree with the above post" or summat similar.  :)
David.

PLD

It is a known issue with long hyperlinks so at least partly user inflicted...
Most Forum software have the same issue to some extent.
The solution is to nudge the guilty member to either use the proper html tags or a third party URL shortening facility such as tinyurl.com

ntpntpntp

Quote from: dannyboy on October 11, 2023, 01:52:36 PMIt sounds like there is something wrong with my settings and/or browser, as all the threads show the latest reply at the top of page 1.

Could be this is ticked in your settings?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

dannyboy

@ntpntpntp Nick, yes, that box is ticked - it's not now  :) Thanks.
David.

dannyboy

Having unticked the box as suggested by Nick, the page sizing returned to normal! Out of interest, I have just been back into my profile settings and re-ticked the box. On checking the 'Unhappy' thread, everything is back to normal, i.e. normal sizing  ??? . It must have been some glitch somewhere, but as I say, all appears to be normal now. Strange.

@Tank - just for your information Chris.
David.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: dannyboy on October 11, 2023, 07:02:26 PMHaving unticked the box as suggested by Nick, the page sizing returned to normal!

Ah but try going to the page of Unhappy Thread where post #3074 appears?  That's the one which has the very long link which the browser isn't able to split or line-wrap. In normal ascending sorting it's page 205 on my browser (but depends what page size you have selected).

dannyboy

@ntpntpntp I found the 'offending' post - it is on page two of my list (cos I went that way  ;) ) and yes, the sizing is out. But, all the other pages are now correct, so one happy bunny.  :thumbsup:
David.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations