NN3

Started by sean Half-pint works, July 26, 2013, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean Half-pint works

Hi all, i do not know if this has been aired before, but are there any other modelers on hear interested in NN3 gauge, if so would it be possible to have a place to talk and share this sort of thing please??  :thankyousign:

Sean

Agrafarfan

Hi,

Is NN3 narrow gauge? If it is I'm thinking of getting the Peco NG-652 kit it's a n gauge saddle tank that runs on z gauge track but you need to get the motors from Marklin and they can be expensive.

Yeah I too would like to see a narrow gauge section if that's what you mean sorry I'm a bit newbish. Peco has got N-6.5 for narrow gauge which uses z gauge track there's a couple of kits.

Coincidently I was gonna type narrow gauge in the search thingy and I saw this thread first.  :thankyousign:

Ian

sean Half-pint works

Hi,

NN3 is indeed the narrow gauge for N gauge, I like Narrow gauge alot in all honesty. the Peco saddle tank kit is nice to do, I got one off a friend who mistook it for a 009 version (00 on 9MM track) the chassis units are getting harder to find, but there are locos in z gauge on EBAY that can be 'caniblised' for the job

BTW Ian, just so you have a heads up, some needle files, and a sense of humor are needed, this is the smallest kit I have come accross yet, but with a little care it comes out like a properly beautiful loco

the other tank loco is in OO gauge,

You are right that the Narrow gauge for N is on Z gauge track, AKA 6.5MM,  although it is called NN3 gauge for some reason! there are the two peco kits which are British outline,  also you can get a lot of American stuff in gauge.

I find the search a little confusing, so I posted here and hope if its in the wrong place  the mods will move it, or tell me where it should be put.

:NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule:

Sean

Oldman

Use the search for Nn3.
Marklin Z gauge chassis and either Peco flexitrack or Marklin track.
Some stuff available from shapeways,Republic Locomotive Works.
Suitable donor loco chassis usually £60.00 plus as complete locos(secondhand)
Otherwise I know nowt
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Sprintex

Is there a difference between Nn3 and Nm? Both are N gauge on Z track, and I have basic plans for a Swiss Nm layout once I finish the current one ;)

Paul

Agrafarfan

Quote from: sean Half-pint works on July 26, 2013, 10:31:41 PM
Hi,

NN3 is indeed the narrow gauge for N gauge, I like Narrow gauge alot in all honesty. the Peco saddle tank kit is nice to do, I got one off a friend who mistook it for a 009 version (00 on 9MM track) the chassis units are getting harder to find, but there are locos in z gauge on EBAY that can be 'caniblised' for the job

BTW Ian, just so you have a heads up, some needle files, and a sense of humor are needed, this is the smallest kit I have come accross yet, but with a little care it comes out like a properly beautiful loco

the other tank loco is in OO gauge,

You are right that the Narrow gauge for N is on Z gauge track, AKA 6.5MM,  although it is called NN3 gauge for some reason! there are the two peco kits which are British outline,  also you can get a lot of American stuff in gauge.

I find the search a little confusing, so I posted here and hope if its in the wrong place  the mods will move it, or tell me where it should be put.

:NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule: :NGaugersRule:

Sean

That looks really interesting thanks, I need to shrink my hands I think lol. I was thinking about getting some z scale track and do a little end to end track.

Oldman

Paul Nm is actually more accurate using Z gauge.
However everone seems to use Z gauge for most narrow gauge because that was all that was available at the start.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

sean Half-pint works

Oldman: thanks for that, I will have a look at Peco and see if I can get some Z gauge track to play with! I ordered one of the Republic loco works NN3 micro motor thingys for me to try and scratch build a little diesel shunter as a companion for the saddle tank.

Agrafarfan: I found my hands were about 4 sizes to big (I take a XXL motor bike glove!) I just used a pair of tweesers and a little gentle persuasion with a needle file or two. HTH!

Sean

Oldman

Sean pm me and I will give you some ideas.
Nn3 on Willow brickworks, Hong Kong Tram motorized, Gradually cutting up my old Z gauge locos.
However I also have Zm which is Z narrow gauge.

sean Half-pint works

:pmsign:

Thanks again Oldman,

the Narrow gauge I have worked with is 009, so NN3 presents a new set of challenges for me.
I will have a look at the Willow Brickworks,

Narrow gauge to Z gauge, now there is a tiny tiny model!

Sean

EtchedPixels

NN3 is "big" - NN15 is more fun ! - 15" gauge modelled in N using T gauge parts - 3mm track!

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

sean Half-pint works

HAHA, that does sound Highly amusing! What scale does that work out as (I have half an idea forming, but i need to know the scales to work it out.)

Thanks Alan.

Sean

EtchedPixels

T is 1:450 scale

T scale track is 3mm (actually 3.1mm) so comes out as pretty much bang on 18" gauge, and looks pretty good for 15" gauge style stuff.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

sean Half-pint works

3MM in 1:72 is 9 inches... damn thats perfect for what I have in mind  :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

I can see why you would say it looks amazing as both 18 and 15 inch gauge to!

Thanks for that Etched Pixels...

FourWheelCoach

I'm planning to incorporate some nn3 on my layout. Can anybody tell me what the absolute steepest gradient a Marklin 0-6-0  chassis will climb hauling a couple of wagons?

Cheers.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations