Figures

Started by port perran, May 24, 2011, 08:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Many of the N Gauge figures produced ready painted seem to be of a fairly modern appearance.
I model late 50s/early 60s .
Can anyone recommend suitable figures ? I have some which fit the bill but often appearance is more related to 80s onward.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

poliss

Have you seen the old Merit range of figures? They might fit the bill as they have been around for donkeys years. :-)
The range is made by Modelscene these days, but they are unpainted, unlike the Merit figures.

moogle

If thats the Peco ones then yes they are quite suited to that.  :thumbsup:
You do have to paint them and remove the ugly lump of plastic from beneath their feet.
Think they call it a 'base'. I call it a 'slab'. Its ugly either way!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

H

Quote from: port perran on May 24, 2011, 08:45:30 AM
Many of the N Gauge figures produced ready painted seem to be of a fairly modern appearance. I model late 50s/early 60s. Can anyone recommend suitable figures ?

I find many RTP figures to be fairly generic with regards to period, fashion and even gender in some cases. However, there are certainly ones that are suposedly meant for the dreary steamy era (kettle crew etc) and the Scenecraft figures come in sets for various periods;

379-313 - 1960/70s Coal Miners  
379-315 - 1960/70s Standing Station Passengers  
379-317 - 1940/50s Station Staff  
379-318 - 1960/70s Station Staff  
379-319 - Suburban Street Scene  
379-320 - 1950s Train Crew  

Also you could try repainting the basic generic figures to represent the dull and dreary colours of that era.

H.

m1racleman

Quote from: H on May 24, 2011, 01:15:05 PM
Also you could try repainting the basic generic figures to represent the dull and dreary colours of that era.

H.

Hmmmm ! You can't have been around in those days then.
If you were you would remember only too well the revolting dayglo orange and green socks that we all wore !! We must have been MAD !!!!

H

Quote from: m1racleman on May 24, 2011, 01:39:48 PMHmmmm ! You can't have been around in those days then.

You're wrong there; I lived through the sixties (and some of the fifties) and remember England winning the world cup and the first landing on the moon well. I think you're getting confused with the 70s - that's when fashion got loud with the beginning of glam rock. And I never wore dayglo socks at anytime. 8)

H.

moogle

Quote from: m1racleman on May 24, 2011, 01:39:48 PM
Quote from: H on May 24, 2011, 01:15:05 PM

H.

Hmmmm ! You can't have been around in those days then.
If you were you would remember only too well the revolting dayglo orange and green socks that we all wore !! We must have been MAD !!!!

Dayglo socks? We had them in the '80's. Think we called them fluorescent socks but they were the same thing.
I remember wearing them. Odd ones of course. Only uncool kids wore matching pairs!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations