magazines

Started by robbieb, October 23, 2014, 08:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: Tdm on October 25, 2014, 09:43:13 AM
When over in the U.K. (about 4 times a year), I usually buy a copy of Model Rail and BRM from Smiths, but that's as far as it goes. Only wish there was a magazine more dedicated to N gauge but perhaps that will be solved when I get my first NGS journal.

Hi Terry.
I don't know whether this could be sent out to you, but it may be worth a punt.........

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17802.msg255465#msg255465

mattwm

I've a few back issues of Model Rail up for sale if anyone needs or wants them. I'd list on the N'Porium but I don't think I've created enough posts to do so at present. Feel free to message me for info if anyone is interested.

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on October 23, 2014, 08:17:36 PM
I used to subscribe to British Railway Modeller and the Peco magazine (Railway Modeller I think). Both nice magazines with some good N gauge articles. However, I soon decided that it was better just to buy the odd copy with articles of interest. I just wasn't reading much of the magazine.

To be honest I get much more information and interesting tips from this forum than from any magazine,

Just my point of view!!

Bob Austin

Hi all

Changed my mind somewhat after I remembered that you can get the digital edition of Railway Modeller through Exact Editions. It costs £34.99 for a year's subscription BUT I discovered you also get access to FOUR YEARS of back editions and all the supplements.

For every page of every issue there is a printable PDF file so you can print out articles of interest and leave all the unwanted adverts to live in the computer ether somewhere.

So... Guess what - I've purchased a subscription.

Its gonna take a while to read 4 years worth of editions though!!

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Tom@Crewe

Are all those magazines and back issues searchable.

CarriageShed

Quote from: austinbob on October 29, 2014, 06:12:12 PM
Changed my mind somewhat after I remembered that you can get the digital edition of Railway Modeller through Exact Editions. It costs £34.99 for a year's subscription BUT I discovered you also get access to FOUR YEARS of back editions and all the supplements.

For every page of every issue there is a printable PDF file so you can print out articles of interest and leave all the unwanted adverts to live in the computer ether somewhere.

So... Guess what - I've purchased a subscription.

Its gonna take a while to read 4 years worth of editions though!!

Bob Austin

Be careful that you print to PDF or paper absolutely everything that you want to keep or may want to refer to in the future. If you cancel your subscription you may find that you no longer have access to anything at all.

N Gauge Now looks like it could fill the gap between NGS Journal and the more OO-biased magazines. I'm looking forward to it starting up its regular run next year.

silly moo

The problem with RM digital version is mentioned in a previous (rather lenghtly) topic entitled "Railway Modeller Digital version - a warning" here is a copy of my post:

I feel a real twit and rather angry.  :dunce:  :veryangry:  I subscribe to a few of the model railway magazines in digital format, it's real advantage to someone who lives miles away with a dreadful postal service.

At the beginning of last year I subscribed to Railway Modeller and was very impressed with the magazine and the app, especially as it gave access to back issues. In February I decided to end the subscription as our currency took a nosedive and I had to cut down on magazines.

I have now discovered that the issues that I thought I had 'bought' are not available to read and that RM digital subscriptions are unlike those of the other mags, you have to keep on subscribing to read your magazines. I have been told that the app is similar to Spotify and Netflix ( I've heard of them but have never used them so had no idea how they work.)

I had assumed that all digital subscriptions are alike. I checked in a paper copy of RM and could find no reference to how the digital subscription is structured which I find a bit misleading.

austinbob

Quote from: Tom@Crewe on October 30, 2014, 12:28:23 PM
Are all those magazines and back issues searchable.

Yes they are Tom. Either in the issue you are viewing or all issues. Very handy.

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: silly moo on October 30, 2014, 01:02:53 PM
The problem with RM digital version is mentioned in a previous (rather lenghtly) topic entitled "Railway Modeller Digital version - a warning" here is a copy of my post:

I feel a real twit and rather angry.  :dunce:  :veryangry:  I subscribe to a few of the model railway magazines in digital format, it's real advantage to someone who lives miles away with a dreadful postal service.

At the beginning of last year I subscribed to Railway Modeller and was very impressed with the magazine and the app, especially as it gave access to back issues. In February I decided to end the subscription as our currency took a nosedive and I had to cut down on magazines.

I have now discovered that the issues that I thought I had 'bought' are not available to read and that RM digital subscriptions are unlike those of the other mags, you have to keep on subscribing to read your magazines. I have been told that the app is similar to Spotify and Netflix ( I've heard of them but have never used them so had no idea how they work.)

I had assumed that all digital subscriptions are alike. I checked in a paper copy of RM and could find no reference to how the digital subscription is structured which I find a bit misleading.

Hi silly moo.

You're right in that you lose access to the magazines completely if you don't keep your subscription alive. However, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I am only interested in the N gauge articles which are a fairly small percentage of the total magazine content.

So, I intend to download the printable pdfs for the few articles I want to keep for future reference. I've checked the conditions of service for the Company involved (Exact Editions) and confirmed that this approach is acceptable.

Problem solved.

Beware that the terms and conditions of service do not allow you to download all of the magazine or a large proportion of the magazine (whatever that means?)

Bob Austin

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations