I must be getting old......

Started by Agrippa, September 21, 2014, 12:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

Tdm

Thanks for the Goon show clip, although IMHO, the show is SOOO much better without pictures...

BTW: Am I correct in believing that the 'machine' that appears before the cartoons is one of Rowland Emmett's masterpieces?

As one who does not own a TV (the computer provides 'entertainment' enough), and does not miss it, but who is inching towards retirement (three years to go), I find the biggest 'difference' is in music, especially when  it is recalled that Mick Jagger (for example) is 71! (Aaaaaargh!)   This is of course not helped by the seemingly endless 'retread' tours by formerly well known groups, and the discovery that the formerly 'oh so different' and very anti-establishment rock group KISS now does scheduled sea cruises into the Caribbean!!

Talk about 'selling out'!!

How things have changed, and to find that what we considered to be terribly 'radical' is now regarded as a 'curiosity' and deemed to be 'quaint', does come as something of a shock, while to be able to hum along in time with the muzac in the malls (and even know ALL the words) is not something that that I would have sought to add to my skill-set.

But, of course, the ultimate reminder of one's age, is when you get a smile from an absolutely gorgeous 'sweet young thing', when walking in the High Street, and after appreciating the action (and hopefully 'responding accordingly', as one does), realise that you actually probably remind her of her GRANDFATHER (silver hair and all), a fact reinforced by a quick 'preen' in an adjacent shop window.

Can quite ruin the day really...

'Aint life grand....?
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

javlinfaw7

Malc having seen Joey Essex on Eight out of ten cats do countdown I feel you may be overestimating their levels of literacy

longbridge

I must be old as well, between naked celebs, cooking shows that cook things that speed up your visit to a Cardiologist, how to modify your house, the geek, all the bad news and the rest of the trash on TV is it any wonder why I spend so much time reading, and mucking about with model railways.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

surfaceman

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on October 25, 2014, 04:01:15 PM
Quote from: Tdm on October 25, 2014, 03:46:56 PM
I am old some people tell me but I don't feel it a bit.

My wife (she's 10 years younger than me) says I am into my 2nd childhood now, especially as I've gone back to railway modelling.

Don't watch a lot of TV in Tenerife (mainly football and Foruma 1) but the misses is a big fan of Eggheads and other Quiz programs.

One program I do remember watching from my childhood which I enjoyed and is currently being re-made again is the "Clangers", and I can't wait to see if it is as good as it used to be - will there still be the Iron Chicken and the Soup Dragon in it? 

And I may have posted the Link to this Goon Show clip before, but it still makes me laugh every time I watch it. They don't make them like they used to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk&feature=player_detailpage

Always brings to mind that wonderful young singer, Bing Crosby, singing "Thanks for the Memory!"

The Goons, what one BBC executive once called the Go On show!  Thanks!

I rather think that "Thanks for the Memory" was sung by that wonderful comedian ( and mediocre singer ) Bob Hope!

Alex

lil chris

some of these celebrity shows do my head in. The pointless celebrity show is supposed to be for charity and I find it so annoying when the say you played well but you have won.......nothing. I know its the BBC and they are short of money but at least the celebrity version of the chase gives them a £1000.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: lil chris on October 25, 2014, 09:44:07 PM
some of these celebrity shows do my head in. The pointless celebrity show is supposed to be for charity and I find it so annoying when the say you played well but you have won.......nothing. I know its the BBC and they are short of money but at least the celebrity version of the chase gives them a £1000.

As far as I know the 'Celeb' Pointless show donates £500 if the finalists don't win the jackpot, Chris (not totally sure, though :hmmm:)

EtchedPixels

I always thought "pointless celebs" summed them up entirely.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Michael Shillabeer

I've always thought that the word celebrity is wrong! I don't celebrate these over paid turns!
Why do people who appear on screen get paid so much more than the engineers who create the technology???
Best regards
Michael

Dorsetmike

QuoteI don't celebrate these over paid turns!

Surely you mis-spelt the last word in that sentence!!!!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Agrippa

I'm afraid the argument is lost, television will still be filled up with brain dead chavs, it's
the way it is.No point in arguing, why are footballers paid more than nurses or why are
lawyers paid more than lavatory attendants,

BTW before we slag off the numpties some of the standards of grammar
in  posts on the forum  are about 12 year old level.

Some posts have about 3-4 grammar /spelling errors. :D

Nothing personal , we should all strive for the best!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Pengi

Quote from: Agrippa on October 26, 2014, 01:26:22 AM
I'm afraid the argument is lost, television will still be filled up with brain dead chavs, it's
the way it is.No point in arguing, why are footballers paid more than nurses or why are

Bit harsh . . .

The key is being able to understand our posts regardless of whether there are grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. We should be aware that some of us have reading disorders such as dyslexia so cannot recognise whether a word is spelled correctly or not - regardless of whether a spell checker is used. Mobile phones can be both a help and a hindrance with the predicitive/autocorrect facility and it is easy to press the wrong button by mistake  :oopssign:

I find that using stuff like 'Twitter'/'Whats App' requires a different form of communication and it it easy for that style to creep into other written forms of communication. This is something that I find myself doing more and more  :(

I appreciate that spelling/grammar errors can be irritating to grammar 'purists' but let's have a bit more tolerance  :).

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Agrippa

I get your point, but most of the members posting to this topic are the more mature types
and not the average thicko texting to the X factor. Standards of literacy and numeracy in this
country are not as high as they should be. In my last job I was sometimes given the task of
preliminary sorting of CVs for vacancies and the standard of spelling and punctuation on many
of them would have been poor for a twelve year old never mind a  twenty year old. Many were
binned instantly as a result.

So I make no apology for criticising poor grammar and punctuation on the forum.

Here endeth the lesson, better make sure my own posts are perfectly composed !

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Tdm

Quote from: Pengi on October 26, 2014, 06:55:55 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on October 26, 2014, 01:26:22 AM

Bit harsh . . .

The key is being able to understand our posts regardless of whether there are grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. We should be aware that some of us have reading disorders such as dyslexia so cannot recognise whether a word is spelled correctly or not - regardless of whether a spell checker is used. Mobile phones can be both a help and a hindrance with the predicitive/autocorrect facility and it is easy to press the wrong button by mistake  :oopssign:

I find that using stuff like 'Twitter'/'Whats App' requires a different form of communication and it it easy for that style to creep into other written forms of communication. This is something that I find myself doing more and more  :(

I appreciate that spelling/grammar errors can be irritating to grammar 'purists' but let's have a bit more tolerance  :).

I am partly dsylexic, and my son was diagnosed as dyslexic when at primary school and was allowed a little more time at exams to compensate  for not easily being able to read some of the questions being asked.

When typing a post I always have to check it on the screen afterwards, and quite a few times it looks nothing like what I thought I had typed - so I blame the keyboard for being dsylexic too!

Never did either of us any harm though career wise, I retired from a good if somewhat stressful job with a decent Pension some years back, and my son is currently a Partner with a well known Accountancy Firm.

Despite problems with words occasionally we have always both been good at figures, and I wonder if that is some form of compensation. My daughter is also good at figures but is not Dsyslexic and has a job looking after peoples money with a large Investment Firm.

I did pass my GCE "O" Levels in English Language and Literature when at Grammar School, the only "O" Level I failed being Latin which I never quite got to grips with but it was a compulsory subject that everyone had to take.

I do think standards in schools have dropped though since the days when I was at school.

Back to the subject of feeling old - as I said in my earlier post I don't feel old at all,
and can still walk a fair distance and climb nearby Guaza Mountain (quicker than my son-in-law), but it was a little off putting to hear recently some good friends of ours who are the same age being referred to as "Wrinklies" (have I spelt that right?) by another couple who are well into their 50's themselves.

EtchedPixels

This is a modelling forum. It's got people on it from all over the world some of whom are not first language speakers. It is not IMHO the place for language pedantry. Modelmaking is not part of the English GCSE syllabus.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

steve836

Quote from: Malc on October 25, 2014, 05:03:18 PM
I find all these so called "reality TV" series about as interesting as watching paint dry. What does slightly worry me is the young kids that hold up these semi literate half wits as role models. Talk about setting your sights low.

So true! SWMBO always watches "strickly" I quite enjoyed it when it first appeared, but it seems that the powers that be at BBC & ITV just keep repeating the same old thing without trying to produce anything worthwhile.  Gone are the days of the Goons, When the Boat Comes In, Monty Python, Rising Damp, One Foot In the Grave, Etc.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations