3D printed copies

Started by Intercity, October 15, 2021, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intercity

I'm not sure if this has been asked or answered before (looked and I can't find anything), is it possible or is there a service that is able to take current OEM parts and 3D copy them, I am not looking for cheaper parts here, the purpose is to replicate out of production parts.

The two pieces I have need for are a Grafar class 31 bogie frame, and a Dapol class 153 bogie frame.

If anyone knows if some like this is possible I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks

IC

ntpntpntp

I can foresee a copyright issue if someone were to simply take the existing part and scan/copy it for commercial purposes.

Someone creating their own CAD and print is another matter, though such a part would have to be pretty similar in order to fit the bogie chassis and at what point does that become an infringement?  I'm reminded of the fuss some years ago with the Newqida cheap G scale wagons and coaches very similar to LGB designs.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

I'm not sure how much of an issue that is really, it's a model of a prototype, so any likeness is a given. They'd struggle to argue copyright on a method for attaching bogie side frames.

Bigger issue is the size of any market and the value therein. I have done some bogies for some Farish wagons; but I needed some anyway.

Unless you wanted to spend £100 on each of those items I wouldn't bother doing them, it's hard to imagine ever selling more than 1 or 2 of them.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations