BR Diesels - North Cornwall

Started by Chris in Prague, September 11, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Back to Thomas: "The rundown was swift. Nine or ten coach trains survived on summer Saturdays until 5 September 1964, , after which all through carriages from Waterloo were withdrawn and Bude and Okehampton - Wadebridge lost freight times (though for a time Launceston was served via Lydford). Both the Bude and Wadebridge lines were dieselised from 3 January 1965, marking the end of regular steam passenger workings in Devon and Cornwall. This left only occasional diesel multiple-units, often a single car, and for the summer of 1965 a Paddington-Bude and reverse on summer Saturdays." (p120) [I wonder what loco. hauled those trains?]

"The two lines were totally closed from 3 October 1966, wiping a large slice of the est Country off the railway map. Because the railway had always been the best local employer, pride in the job remained high with remarkably good track maintenance based on Halwill Junction until the end." (p120)

Chris in Prague

So, which diesels did run protypically on the Withered Arm (ex-LSWR lines in North Cornwall and North Devon)?

We have recorded: Class 22s (including D6311, D6342, D6348), AC Cars railbuses (W79977/79978 assigned to run the Bodmin North shuttle), single unit (Class 122 "Bubble Car"W55001, W55014; Class 121 "Bubble Car" W55026), twin unit and triple unit (Class 117, I believe) DMUs. Anything heavier than a Class 22 was banned. (Although as noted, Class 35 Hymek, D7032 DID visit Wadebridge on a North Cornwall line trial in Jan '65.) [Class 22, 121, and 122 numbers from: http://www.trenoweth.co.uk/NCR/rollstock.html]

Additionally, Class 03 D2177 (of Laira) as noted, was used on lifting train at Padstow, March 1968.

Further south, we have up to 2 Class 03s (1961-1965) and various 08s, based at St. Blazey working the Bodmin-Wadebridge line; the Class 08s up to closure.

Finally, at the SR's Exmouth Junction (Exeter) shed I don't have any record of any diesels being allocated (but may have missed some diesel shunters?). However, at the SR's Plymouth Friary, we have three Class 04s allocated in 1961-62 only.

On enthusiast specials, I have seen pictures of Swindon Class 120 3-car Cross-Country sets and Metro-Cammell Class 101 3-car sets.

Further numbers have been given above.

Any additions, corrections gratefully received.

port perran

The photos I have access to show the following non steam locos :

16/5/71 D6326 at Bodmin Gen on weedkilling train
01/3/68 D2177 near Padstow with a track clearance train.
17/8/76 08576 at Wenford Dries
18/8/66 79977 at Bdmin North and again at Boscarne Jct
01/10/66 W55000 at Wadebridge (with the penultimate working to Halwill)
09/8/61 D6315 at Wadebridge
Sep 65  D2127 at Dunmere

I may have some other photos but none immediately come to mind I'm afraid.
Plenty of steam ones though !!

Hope this helps.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chris in Prague

Many thanks, Port Ferran. Class 03 D2127 is a new one. It was transferred to 83D Laira 30/01/1960, then was one of only three (I believe) Class 03s to be allocated 84B St Blazey 24/08/1964, before returning to 84A Laira 14/05/1967, where it was WITHDRAWN 11/05/1968. (D2129 and D2183 being the others.)

Chris in Prague

I've never seen a picture of Wadebridge Wharf let alone a Class 03 there; that could be a nice moelling subject? (Especially as, until we move to a larger place, the domestic authorities have agreed to a small N layout that can be retrieved from under the double bed. (I'm thinking of an IKEA zipsided dustproof storage unit for the baseboard.)

Chris in Prague

North Cornwall Railways (http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/) lists as known to have worked on the North Cornwall Line:

Type:   Nº:   Place:   Date noted:   Reference:
North British Type 2   D6311   Wadebridge   31 Jan 1961   Photo sold on eBay
D6342   Halwill   21 Aug 1965   IHNCR p120
D6348   Wadebridge   14 Jul1964   IHNCR p142
DMU:
Class 122 "Bubble Car"   W55001   Wadebridge   N/A   BLAB plate 21
W55014   Padstow   28 Jan 1967   NCR
Class 121 "Bubble Car"   W55026   Port Isaac Road   5 May 1966   IHNCR p27
Railcar:
AC Cars   ?   Wadebridge   Undated   BLAB pl21 [Reported above as being: W79977/78]

Chris in Prague

So, "The Class 22s were RA4 and were the only 'real' diesel locomotives allowed on several lightly laid routes at the time including both Roskear and the West Crofty - the axle load of small steam locos is generally lower than diesels, so while RA4 for a real diesel loco as extraordinarily low it was only comparable with many smaller steam locos." Class 22s would be ideal motive power, post-steam, for local passenger and freight services. (Withdrawals of class members, which had commenced in 1967, finished with the withdrawal of 6333, 6336, 6338 and 6339 in December 1971, so most which were West Country-based could be used within my 1969 'cut-off' date.) However, the Hymek Class 35s were RA6. But, as noted above, Class 35 D7032 DID visit Wadebridge on a North Cornwall line trial in Jan '65, and the lines enjoyed "remarkably good track maintenance based on Halwill Junction until the end".

Now, I'm no track engineer but, as I understand it, RA concerns the weight of the axle load so, to increase the Route Availability, more than reballasting and ensuring the rails were up to carrying the increased weight would be required, namely, all bridges carrying the railway track(s) would have to be inspected and strengthened or, maybe, speed limits imposed? However, to improve the passenger services, average speeds would need to be increased rather than decreased! So, I'm assuming local government funded investment would take care of strengthening bridges as required whilst track replacement (I'm assuming concrete-sleepered CWR reused from WR high-speed lines) and reballasting (where required) courtesy of the PWM dept. at Halwill Jn. would take care of the rest. Hmm, what colour would the new ballast (from Meldon Quarry) be compared to the old?

In passing, does anyone make a model of the distinctive track-built bufferstops used at Padstow? On the subject of Padstow station, would station layouts be rationalised as part of the 1960s upgrading? Almost certainly, yes; so my model will be set before that was done but after the other tracks and structures had been upgraded to, at least,  RA6, so Class 35 Hymeks could be used on through trains from Paddington. 8-)

But, I also want to run Class 42 Warships, but their Route Availability was 7. However, it was reduced to RA 6 from 1969, which, fortunately, is just within my period and, with suitable dispensation (in view of the excellent work of the PWM dept. and civil engineers) before 1969, I'm assuming they could also run where the train was judged to be too heavy for a Hymek.  HOWEVER, as with the Westerns (see below), their minimum curve negotiable is: 4.5 chains (91 m). So, would it be reasonable to state that Warships would be allowed, after 'my' route upgrading and Westerns not?

So with a new RA of 6, what else could be run? Class 52 Westerns had a RA7 and, I feel, except in very special circumstances (I think the track would still be too curved for them with their minimum curve negotiable being: 4.5 chains (91 m)) should be ruled out. A pity.

Class 47s have a RA of 6, so I could run a green 'namer' on specials. (Minimum curve negotiable: 4 chains (80.46cm).

Class 33s which, during my period, were far to the east, have a RA of 6, also. (Minimum curve negotiable: 4 chains (80.46cm), also.

Class 37s which, during my period, were, largely confined to South Wales, have a RA of 5, so would be no problem. (Minimum curve negotiable: 4 chains (80.46cm) again.

Class 03s and 08s, of course, would not be a problem with RA of 1 (03) and 5 (08).

Diesel railbuses and multiple units would also be fine.

port perran

It's good to be realistic with what ran (or what you can realistically run) but remember that it's your railway. As is often pointed out  on this forum - Rule One applies - you can run what you like.
For instance, I've got a Class 14 and I don't think (unless someone can correct me) that they ever ventured over the Tamar.

The ballast from Meldon Quarry was, I believe quite light in colour but I'm not absolutely sure.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Chris in Prague

Thanks for your comment. Port Perran, I'm certainly not about to tell someone what they can or cannot run on their layout. With a RA  of 4, Class 14s, interestingly, would be suitable for the unmodernised North Cornwall lines whilst, with a RA of 5, Class 08s would not. With a surplus of Class 14s by 1966, I'm sure WR management would have been happy to hear of any revenue-earning use to which they could be put. Having cabbed an immaculate condition D9501 (whilst in store at Worcester, in 1967), if I ever buy one for Penmayn, that will be the number which it will carry. With a lower RA than a Class 08 and being more economical (reliable?) than a Class 22, I'm sure that the local management of Port Perran must be very happy with their 'import' from across the Tamar. 8-) As far as possible, I prefer to be realistic in my choice of models for my chosen time period (c. 1963-1969) but, as long as I can find a precedent in real life, am also flexible. (I remember when it was rumoured that surplus Class 17s would be used for the Great Northern suburban electrification so, maybe, the Plymouth Area Management will ask for D9501, ex-store, (ideal for PWM work) to assist with the upgrading of Bodmin - Wadebridge - Penmayn, following the success of the Class 14 at Port Perran!

Chris in Prague

Thanks for the Meldon Quarry ballast colour info., that's what I had hoped would be the case, Port Perran. Now to work out where extra ballast would be need on an upgraded line? (Living in the Czech Republic, as mainlines get upgraded for higher speeds the main difference afterwards is a much greater depth of ballast.) On curves? As Penmayn, (like Padstow) will be   a terminus, I think new ballast with secondhand wooden sleepered track would suffice (ditto sidings) with concrete-sleepered CWR beyond the terminus and new, light-coloured Meldon ballast. To save money (the local council is paying!) all signage will remain in SR green.

Chris in Prague

Re: Class 14s: "In December 1967 withdrawals from BR books started with D9531 and in April of the following year the class began to succumb in earnest. In 1969, five machines at Landore, South Wales, although earmarked to be sold, were run periodically on local freights to keep them servicable. In November of the same year nine machines remained in South Wales, 9509/19/21/6/55 at Cardiff Canton, and 9524/30/6/8 at Landore, Swansea. On paper, in April 1969, BR were finally devoid of their 'white elephants'."

SOURCE: http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%20Depth/Class%2014's.htm

Chris in Prague

Re: Good old Dartmoor granite from Meldon Quarry ballast: "very light grey to start with but it weathers down quickly to light brown, going even darker over time. Always refer to photos".

SOURCE: www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41502-choice-of-ballast-for-hampshire-lines/

Chris in Prague

It is, technically, "sold as hornfels, a rock name applied to all rocks baked hard by heat of a nearby igneous intrusion. Historically, the product has been valued for its strength properties for use as rail ballast".

SOURCE: http://www.devon.gov.uk/overview_report_2_5.pdf

Chris in Prague

Im posting this review of a book on the Bodmin - Wadebridge line here because it gives details of "locomotives that worked on the line": http://grogleyjunction.blogspot.cz/2013/03/new-book-bodmin-wadebridge-railway-1.html . Looks well worth buying!

Chris in Prague

Whilst I can find which Class 08s were allocated to St. Blazey I'm interested in finding out which ones worked the Bodmin - Wadebridge / Wenford Bridge line and which ones were in BR Blue livery but still with D series numbers in the period up to and including 1969, please.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations