Maximum incline?

Started by Raymond, February 10, 2014, 07:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymond

I'm wondering what the maximum incline is. The whole track is going to be flat but I need one run up to reach 80mm and have a straight run of 999mm, say a meter. Is that too steep?

I could start the incline about 200mm earlier in a bent but rather keep it on the straight.

Over a meter it works out roughly 5%  :hmmm:

Thanks for your help, again

Ray
I like sitting in my hottub with a beer or two......

Skyline2uk

My maths makes that an 8% incline, or 1 in 12.5.

I have never build an incline in n gauge, but that sounds bit steep to me. The only loco I have that has a recommended max incline (that I know of) is my Eurostar set and that is a max of 4%.

Chap on this thread:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14160.0

is talking about 1 in 50 and 1 in 80 gradients.

Hope that makes sense  ???

Skyline2uk

Geoff

I think the going rate is 3% any more and your trains will be struggling with any  kind of a load.
Geoff

Raymond

This does not sound good!!

I set a bit of track up towards the hopper unloader and put my phone on the track which is where I got the 5% incline from.  :-[ ;D

It looks like I need to start earlier meaning it'll block the view of what's behind more. This is hard work this track designing!  ::)

silly moo

I made a test ramp with a length of track which I propped up to the required height, I ran my smallest lightest locos up the incline, both were fine light engine but as soon as I added coaches their wheels started to spin.

It would be a good idea to do something similar if you can.

Regards

Veronica.

DCCDave

Quote from: Geoff on February 10, 2014, 08:00:47 PM
I think the going rate is 3% any more and your trains will be struggling with any  kind of a load.

Depends on your locos and their traction. I tried 2% and whilst all of my diesals could climb it ok with a load some of my steamers could not manage 2% at all

Cheers
Dave

Geoff

Quote from: DCCDave on February 10, 2014, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: Geoff on February 10, 2014, 08:00:47 PM

Depends on your locos and their traction. I tried 2% and whilst all of my diesals could climb it ok with a load some of my steamers could not manage 2% at all

Cheers
Dave

Yep I had trouble when I first tried an incline on my layout, then I said sod it and kept it all on an even keel.
Geoff

Raymond

Just some insight. It's a dead end line and it will be a 4-axle shunter (2x traction bands) and it will be pushing up 8 hoppers maximum and then reverse back down again.

Is there an easy way to calculate the length of run up required in mm up to 80mm without using my brains? (just opening the 2nd bottle of Leffe Blonde)…..  :beers:

Geoff

Raymond just do a test and see what you can get away with, always best to test rather tan disappoint yourself later when you have tied it all down.
Geoff

Babz

Hello Everyone, If I can put my penny's worth in. I have some very steep Inclines but I have no idea what % slope is but all my kato & Fleischmann Eloks go up them no problem with the Kato Glacier Express can go up no problem with a full rake of 6 coaches, Okay some of my older steam will not go up them but I have very old Arnold Mallett that does the business as well as a few others. Most of the problems I come accross are tight bends when say a long coach is to long.
My Layout is a Noch Baden Baden. with Minitrix track.
Best Regards
Babs

Malc

When I built my viaduct, I put the track on a semi circle of hardboard and tried different heights by using different height spacers. It is important that the slope joins the level track at a very gentle angle.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Raymond

Quote from: Geoff on February 10, 2014, 08:46:37 PM
Raymond just do a test and see what you can get away with, always best to test rather tan disappoint yourself later when you have tied it all down.

Cheers Geoff,

I can have a run up of 1.90M if I start on the other side of the board and start the incline there. I don't want it to look out of place but I think I can only reach up to about 60mm on 4%

I'll cut some bits of wood in the workshop tomorrow and see if I can set something up to test.

I'm limited to a space of 1M+ x 2M+ as it is going to be living in my small home office...

Raymond

Quote from: Malc on February 10, 2014, 08:50:50 PM
When I built my viaduct, I put the track on a semi circle of hardboard and tried different heights by using different height spacers. It is important that the slope joins the level track at a very gentle angle.

Cheers Malc,

I'll cut some scrap wood tomorrow and see what angles I can get. I'll probably use some thin ply and tack it down to the pillars to straighten it when it comes back to the straight. (if that makes sense)

Raymond

Quote from: Babz on February 10, 2014, 08:49:37 PM
My Layout is a Noch Baden Baden. with Minitrix track.
Best Regards
Babs

I remember seeing the Baden Baden layout quite a number of years back. Lovely! Any pictures?

I am using the Baden Baden main station building on my layout but the track/station will not resemble Baden Baden. Also had the long Baden Baden platform but that didn't survive the move to the UK  :( Need to buy that again when I start.

Babz

Hi Raymond yes it is a great layout to start with.  There is some pics of my layout on the forum  I will try and upload some more on Thursday. Best regards Babs

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations