older Trix coach

Started by Jonathan Clapp, June 09, 2011, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

That's great that you want to make a model of one of the graphics. :thumbsup:  I'd suggest Electra Railway Graphics for producing the lower part of the carriage, and painting the rest of it yourself.

Jonathan Clapp

Wikipedia has this nice picture.

the lining between the crimson and cream almost demands a custom decal.
I can do decent lines with trim film but that looks quite challenging.

michael

yeah, they all got a bit too expensive in the end.

Jonathan Clapp

I'm fairly pleased with this -

Tank

michael

yeah looks spot on mate

Jonathan Clapp

Thanks for the encouragement.
researching the colors, I was amused to learn that this is known as the 'blood and custard' livery.  ;D

The Phoenix paints are obviously a very high quality and accurate line of railway paints.
they are also acetone based enamels. Im afraid Ive had my lifetime's exposure limit to that stuff, modern ventilation notwithstanding, so Id like ask opinions of Railmatch acrylic paints, as they have a full line including 'BR coach custard'
also found this vendor - anyone know them?
http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/viewProducts.php?SubCatID=12

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 14, 2011, 09:40:48 PM
Id like ask opinions of Railmatch acrylic paints, as they have a full line including 'BR coach custard'
also found this vendor - anyone know them?
http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/Railways/viewProducts.php?SubCatID=12

I find them a bit variable. Most are good but a few don't cover well especially the dark reds. Not tried C&C as it really falls out of my eras of interest. I did find I needed to invest in a pot of artists acrylic thinners (useful tip from the 2mm SA list) to get the smoothest results. Never tried spraying them (not an airbrush user) but I know professionals who use them with airbrush.

Best bit is they dry fast, don't honk and you can clean brushes with water and a spot of soap.

Bad bit is they sometimes dry too fast (hence thinners), show brush marks more if not thinned carefully, and if you don't clean the brush properly you'll never get the stuff back off.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

poliss

You may find subtle variations in the Crimson and Cream livery depending on which region the coach was painted. Blood & custard might be seen as plum & spilt milk.

Jonathan Clapp

I like the term 'spilt milk' .
In the wikipedia photo, you can see the white oxidation film on the red so familiar to owners of Ford cars or a certain age, I might attempt to simulate that.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 15, 2011, 05:22:48 PM

It can be a dangerous description in some ways because the colour of spilt milk today and historically varies because processes have varied. This causes much grief when people start arguing about historical descriptions of some coach colours and milk at the time was not processed the same way !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

SymonC

Quote from: EtchedPixels on June 15, 2011, 08:31:14 PM
Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 15, 2011, 05:22:48 PM

It can be a dangerous description in some ways because the colour of spilt milk today and historically varies because processes have varied. This causes much grief when people start arguing about historical descriptions of some coach colours and milk at the time was not processed the same way !

I suppose the same could be said of custard and indeed blood! ;D

Jonathan Clapp

Got the spilt milk (varient: spoilt milk) on this evening, and a nice gloss for water slide decals.
the primer gray looks fine as BR coach roof gray. The ends, chassis and bogies will get a coat of "grimey black"

got the decal design finished and printed a sheet of them, only to have the printer run out of color ink in the middle of the page.  >:( ruined a $3 sheet of decal paper.
that all for tonight. hope to have the finished carriage tomorro night about this time.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations