Newbie coupler help

Started by gman3000, July 14, 2014, 08:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman3000

Hi all,
I purchased a bachmann train and a couple of wagons ( all american ) and I was of the thinking that they would all have rapido coupling. However seem loco had dummy knuckle. Can I change this over to rapido?

Thanks

Les1952

If they are American you might find it better to switch the other way and use Microtrains throughout.  Most US stuff leaves the factory with them.

Just a thought
Les

mr bachmann

if its a dummy buck-eye most like it will be same fitting as Backys rapido , however if its the new EZ coupler you'll need the same fitting rapido couplers - Bachmann include them with all new stock .

what ever DONT lose the spring .

alan

gman3000

Well there's no mechanic on it. I looked online seems to fit the look of what was written as a dummy knuckle. Are all rapido fittings different then not general?

trainsdownunder

Bealman

gman, if I was just starting out, especially American prototype, I wouldn't even be giving Rapido couplings a look in. They are ugly and... well, a lot of us are stuck with them. Sounds like you are in a position to avoid them completely.

My humble advice would be to forget 'em.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

gman3000

Alan, if it's the dummy type, what rapido do I need?

gman3000

Hi bealman, I don't really want to spend time messing with changing parts out a this stage. Really trying to figure which way to go, as some cheap wagons on eBay etc. but are mainly rapido.

trainsdownunder

Any chance of a pic so we can identify exactly what you have.

The type of Rapido (or knuckle coupler for that matter) is dependent on the "box" the existing coupler is in.

QuoteReally trying to figure which way to go, as some cheap wagons on eBay etc. but are mainly rapido
There are probably just as many out there with knuckle couplers and it is generally accepted that knuckle are the better system. However there can be issues with some knuckle ones - no so much as incompatibility, but more  case of not always keen to couple or separate. Kato being particularly stubborn at times.

Most knuckle versions are also refered to as "Kadee" style, because Kadee were, I believe, the first to produce this style.

gman3000

Ok , don't have model to hand but pretty sure it's this.
[smg id=14031 type=full align=center caption="image"]

mr bachmann

hi gman, the couplers you show - then the coupler pockets will accept rapidos . available as backy spares .

the 'dummy ' knuckle are good for fixed rakes of stock not as noticable as rapidos .

alan

gman3000

Ok thanks Alan,
will they need to bachmanns rapido, not another make?
Will the older trains with rapido accept, that dummy knuckle?
Also that dummy knuckle will it couple with any other couplings?

Many thanks for all replies

mr bachmann

backy's dummy buckeye (knuckle) will happily couple to the newer bachmann EZ buckeye type coupler's , they will couple to most other makes of buckeye but you wont be able to use the magnet for uncoupling ,
whilst on the subject the bachmann EZ buckeye is much larger than the Micro Trains range .
as for the rapido most makes with a T shank and spring will interchange , but again its a fit it and try ,
both types of couplers come with differing length shanks .

alan

gman3000

Sorry for all the questions :)

Dummy buckey couple to micro trains?

NeilMac

Quote from: gman3000 on July 15, 2014, 12:54:48 PM
Ok , don't have model to hand but pretty sure it's this.
[smg id=14031 type=full align=center caption="image"]

Those look like Unimate/Red Caboose couplers, which I believe were only available as an aftermarket fitting.

See my post about a third of the way down this page:-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2911.msg31917#msg31917

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations