DMU's

Started by lionwing, June 26, 2014, 12:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

For my new layout I am looking to acquire a Class 101 DMU.

Generally do they handle first radius curves (Set-Track ST-12) and Set-Tracks points OK?

Thanks.
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Newportnobby

I can't be positive but I don't think you'll have any problems. Mine go round 9" curves with no issues but I have small radius electrofrog points so can't help on that bit of the question.

BobB

The GF class 101's negotiate the radius 1 curves without problems. They also manage the small Peco points without any hesitation or problems, even when going over the cross-over S bend type of formation.

robert shrives

Hi Certainly run on 9" on my test track , yep a bit rare ebay may be your friend but in Brum Ian Allan has stocks of some even if discount box shifters do not local model shops do and worth checking IA in Manchester.
Happy hunting
Robert 

port perran

You'll have no problems with the curves or the points
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: lionwing on June 26, 2014, 12:39:29 PM

Are you looking for green or blue, just so we can keep a lookout?

Zunnan

I run my 101s with the centre car (3 car) or unpowered trailer (2 car) on short rapidos to close the gap, they still negotiate 1st radius curves without issue. They are still out there, some liveries are easier to find than others though.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

lionwing

Quote from: newportnobby on June 26, 2014, 07:46:28 PM

A green one is my target!
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Bealman

Quote from: lionwing on June 27, 2014, 09:46:58 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on June 26, 2014, 07:46:28 PM

Green.... Got my vote, buddy!

A green one is my target!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Only Me on June 27, 2014, 09:56:35 AM
The last Green 101 I sold on ebay fetched the princely sum of £154 ... Thats £45 more than new but then again they sold out eons ago, I have one 3 Car China BAchmann model left which I'm glad I kept as it fits Tormouth era perfectly. I have heard there is going to be a new batch of these released in 2015 So don't worry they will appear again....

Thanks for that info, I need a few for my Scottish Region layout. I already have a two car and a three car of the Blue Riband release, but will need at least another two more sets, preferably three car.......

d-a-n

Have you spoken to Jim at The Loco Shed or been to Arcadia in Shaw to see whether they have a green 101?

johnlambert

Quote from: Only Me on June 27, 2014, 08:23:36 PM
Keep your eyes peeled at Tings for something else too.  Id love to say but sworn to secrecy!!

Ooo sounds intriguing!

DesertHound

I trawl the depths of fleabay and lurk behind lots, waiting to pounce from time to time. I notice that the 101's come up often enough (not the most common, but by far not the rarest either). If you get it from fleabay then expect split gears, even if the seller tells you otherwise.

Bob at BR Lines can fix it for you, although the 25 tooth (I think) gear that is uses is out if stock / no longer produced and he has to make / amend another gear IIRC.

I have two green 101's - Poole built  8)

Now, what I do find are rarer than hen's teeth these days are the orange Scottish & Strathclyde bodies for the 101's.

Quid os to that man who fetched 154 pounds for his 101! I have two if anyone wants them for 153 quid each  :D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Newportnobby

Quote from: DesertHound on June 27, 2014, 09:44:46 PM

Likewise, but they're real 'growlers' ::)

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on June 27, 2014, 10:01:21 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on June 27, 2014, 09:44:46 PM

Likewise, but they're real 'growlers' ::)

Oh boy they certainly are! One's got split gears on the other one is still in the UK so I haven't had the chance to run it for a while. The one out here has split gears so it'll have to go off to Bob at some point (it's not the bogie gears but the one up near the armature - otherwise I'd fix it myself).
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations