Build The Millennium Falcon Magazine

Started by Tom@Crewe, January 02, 2015, 09:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom@Crewe

Build The Millennium Falcon Magazine - Who falls for this?

100 weeks at £8.99 a pop that's a total of approx £900 and a 2 year build.

If you want a Millennium Falcon & a Star Wars fan - Why not just Buy a large kit from model shop, Buy books on Star Wars, Join the Star Wars club and still have money left over for a weekend away!

I just don't get the people who buy these mags.

NeMo

Quote from: Tom@Crewe on January 02, 2015, 09:14:04 AM
I just don't get the people who buy these mags.
Well, playing devil's advocate for a moment... For your £900 you're getting a copy of the actual prop not a model (so the advertising states) made from a variety of materials including metal and resin. A Master Replica's studio-scale Millennium Falcon will cost you upwards of $2000 (about £1200). Both that model and the "build you own" magazine version measure the same 80-odd cm as the prop, and are touted as 1:1 scale replicas.

The magazine itself may or may not be 'Star Wars' universe bumpf for the most part, but it will at least have step-by-step guides to building the model. For those who aren't expert modellers, that'll be a useful extra.

Finally, you're effectively "paying by instalments" which is a good approach for many people. It means you end up with something expensive at the end, but only paying a relatively small amount of money each week.

More often than not (cf. the etched brass 'Flying Scotsman' and 'Mallard' magazines) these artworks are somewhat more expensive* than buying an equivalent kit directly, but with extra value added if the magazine and payment by instalment approach are useful to you.

Cheers, NeMo

*According to MRE Magazine, the magazine route costs £864.75 including wheels but excluding gears or motor, whereas the equivalent DJH kit costs £540 excluding motor, gears or wheels. MRE also state that the magazine kit has been simplified to make it easier to put together, whereas the DJH kit offers no such concessions!
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Agrippa

Anyone signing up for that deal must be nuts ! No doubt the mag will be full of behind the scenes
director's cut guff and so on. Since the thing didn't exist in real life make your own from an old
hubcap and a can of silver spray paint saving £890 to spend on necessities like Old Speckled
Hen and Spitfire Ale.

Signed

Martin Lewis the money expert.... :beers:

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

bridgiesimon

I have just been given a large kit for the 'falcon' for Chrimbo so am quids in!!!

Happy new year
simon

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Agrippa

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Agrippa on January 02, 2015, 10:43:16 AM
Anyone signing up for that deal must be nuts ! No doubt the mag will be full of behind the scenes
director's cut guff and so on. Since the thing didn't exist in real life make your own from an old
hubcap and a can of silver spray paint saving £890 to spend on necessities like Old Speckled
Hen and Spitfire Ale.

Signed

Hi

The same could be said of buying model trains. Just get yourself plastic sheet and cut the bits out.  :D

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

NeMo

Quote from: PaulCheffus on January 02, 2015, 01:19:24 PM
Hi
The same could be said of buying model trains. Just get yourself plastic sheet and cut the bits out.  :D
Cheers
Paul

Indeed. Reminds me of an old joke: How do you make a statue of a dinosaur? Get a big piece of rock and chip away all the bits that don't look like a dinosaur.  :doh:

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

MalcolmInN

Speaking of old dinosaurs,

You know you are getting old when , ,
you dont have a clue what a millenium falcon is !

>> Crawls back into his cave >> > >

bridgiesimon

Komata

There seems to be a definite 'push' for these type of part-works at the moment, and that the series cover very diverse subjects.  Evidently the publisher / s seem to believe they are onto a good thing.

However, I have heard that, in some instances, the  series quietly 'fades away' before the two years is up and the 'model' is complete.  The result is that the unfortunate 'builders / assemblers' are left 'up the creek without a paddle'; out of pocket by a substantial amount, and with an uncompleted  model on hand to boot.  Casual observation indicates that when this stage is reached, a 'vital' part is always missing, a situation which tends  to compound the problem.

Someone, somewhere is making a rather large amount of money...

BTW: One has to wonder what happens to the (literally) millions of 'unsold' 'bits' that comprise these kits when each series ends: is there some sort of 'refugee camp' for them - a huge warehouse where, (if you know ''im wot's got the key') you can get all the missing parts that 'never arrived' at your local stationers.

Logic says that such a place just HAS to exist, but where on earth is it located?  Deepest, darkest Dorset perhaps; it would have to be 'Huge'.

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

MikeDunn

From a purely cynical perspective, I can see that a lot of the first few issues (4 ? 10 ?) would be produced, and then much fewer of the others (1000 ?  instead of 10,000 ?  Or more ...), as there will be a massive fall-back in sales.

I am one of those who looks at the normal price, multiplies it be the number of issues, & exclaims "they're having a larf !!!!".  Some I'll make a start on (eg that OO model rail set that was out a year or so back), but only if the initial set of goodies are worth it (I will get around to modifying the OO carriages some time :)  Honest !), but never beyond the initial shop-available issues.  In fact ... I think I can only recall two productions I've even done that with !

Komata

Mike

You too ?  The 'Flying Scotsman' 'kit' comes to mind.

It must be worth it though for the publishers (P T Barnum's dictum about 'suckers' still applying), since if it wasn't why go to the trouble of sending such items to far distant places (in my case, 12,000 miles and a six-week sea voyage), for very little return...

Most odd indeed.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

austinbob

A few years back I subscribed to the Magazine that delivered a couple of steam railway dvds every month. In total 100 dvds. Very well presented with a focus on specific locos on each dvd, together with lots of archive footage. Each dvd was about 45 mins. I thought they were good value for an enthusiast. Didn't like the magazines much and binned them eventually. Still have all the dvds and still watch them.

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Agrippa

Quote from: PaulCheffus on January 02, 2015, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: Agrippa on January 02, 2015, 10:43:16 AM
Hen and Spitfire Ale.

Signed

Hi

Cheers

Paul

The difference is that trains , planes and ships etc are modelled on original prototypes
and have to be accurate otherwise the wrath of modellers will be on them, eg if a
certain loco has a slight error in the tender or livery people are up in arms and
these only cost about £90  compared with £900. If you can tie a product into a
tv or movie series like Star Wars or Teenage Turtles you can make big bucks.
However selling a plastic pizza for £900 is a joke!

In the end you pays your money or not...

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations