Need your opinion

Started by glenng, February 23, 2013, 07:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenng

Need your opinion what do you think of putting some gates on my layout as I have this pair of gates spear?

B757-236GT

Ive been of the opnion that you dont have to use everything, while its tempting (and yes ive failed to take my own advice at times) this is normally what leads to overcrowding on many layouts and ultimatly detracts from them.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Adam1701D

They are pretty obviously level crossing gates, so will look a bit wrong being placed somewhere else. You'd be better off recycling them as scrap, for example, and getting some Peco farm gates or making some out of microstrip.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Pengi

I have seen level crossing gates used on a disused railway line that is now a walk way.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Jerry Howlett

I remember (here he goes again) that the old gates from Langley Burrel level crossing appeared on a farm just outside Chippenham complete with the red circles. So there is a prototype for everything !
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

EtchedPixels

Think it depends on the period. For a modern layout a pair of old crossing gates (perhaps a bit dirtier than there) and an old signal (fixed) in the garden wouldn't be that out of keeping with some locations I can think of !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

The former Hadlow Road station has a good example of a disused LC gate, which is now part of a cycle track.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvernovice/6350737377#

:thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations