Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik, NScaleNotes, PaulCheffus, martyn, Yeovil and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Sad news.  I shall raise a glass to him tonight :(

dannyboy

Sorry to hear about Blue Steve. Having had to have one of our cats put to sleep a few months ago, I know what you are going through. Keep the memories.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

emjaybee

Deepest sympathy from myself, and Chaos and Penfold.

A cat makes a house a home. They leave an awful big hole in your world.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Train Waiting

So sorry to hear this, Dave

In July 2017, Panda died in my arms.  Like Pal she is buried amongst the flowers and has a piece of slate, from Honister mine, beautifully inscribed with her name.

In November 2017, just after Armistice Day, Poppy arrived.  She often sits for ages in front of Panda's special place... contemplating.  She loves the train set room and is very happy to assist with modelling activities.

With kindest regards.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Papyrus

Sympathies from us too, he was a beauty. We've both had 4-legged family members for as long as we can remember and saying goodbye never gets any easier. (You may remember we lost our old dog Markie just over a year ago.)

The best cure is to go to your local rescue centre and come home with another one!

All the best,

Chris (and Blanche)

Skyline2uk

Very sorry for your loss @daveg .

We in the west send our condolences (including Mrs Skyline, The Gremlin, Crumble and Nimitz).

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

I've just given Hookey a huge hug and somewhat dampened his coat at your announcement, Dave.
Having been in the same situation before I know what you feel :(

Bob Tidbury

To some people a cat or a dog are just another animal but to others they are part of the family and are just as important and no matter what they cost it's worth it for all the love and comfort they give you in return ,so Val and me send our sympathy and WE know just how you are feeling .
Another pet will never replace the one you loose but will soon give you the love you miss .
Out little dog Mitzi will never replace our Buster but she has a character of her own and I've grown to love her .
Bob Tidbury

Malc

Such a sad loss Dave, and so unexpected. I know what he meant to you both. Sympathy from Jenny and I.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

daveg

Thanks for all the kind words - much appreciated.

A measure (or two) of Southern Comfort hasn't made it go away but it has softened the end of a hard day.

Sleep tight folks.  :sleep:

Dave G

daffy

After a rather slow decline in charge holding capability, my almost 5 year old iPad has finally shown me the Big Black Screen and will no longer charge. :( :( :(

I know these darned expensive devices have a finite battery life of between 4 and 6 years (one chap online has researched and concluded the average life expectancy is 4 years and 3 months), but its still a sad day when it finally dies.

But at least I had it all backed up so I can get a new/refurbished one back up and running soon. :thumbsup: All the main files I've made are also on my Mac and again backed up on a remote drive.

Only when you no longer have one do you realise how much you seem to rely on/get addicted to/just plain use, one of these devices, be it Apple or Android.  I'm now wondering whether to replace it or do without and reclaim those hours 'lost' looking at news items, playing games, and just surfing or otherwise wasting my time. :hmmm:

A new battery will be £99, but the replacement is actually achieved by Apple by issuing a refurbed iPad in stead of the original, and with only a 90 day warranty according to the Apple Care assistant I spoke to yesterday.  A brand new iPad is minimum of a little over £300, with a direct replacement of mine being £448.

Isn't the modern life wonderful?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

emjaybee

Have you tried looking for an independent to replace the battery?

The PC tech that fixed my laptop (overnight, for £30, when the supplier had tried four times without success to rectify a year long problem), also repairs 'i' stuff, screens, batteries etc.

I'd be looking there first.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

They're fairly easy to DIY. Significantly easier than (for example) trying to fit sound into an N gauge loco, if you indulge in such things!

daffy

Thanks guys, I thought that might be an option, then I watched this video just now on how to replace the battery DIY-style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrB0fe_6fGk

With the cost of sourcing a reliable battery and the evident possibilities of not achieving a good result and being left with some electronic scrap, I think i'll leave it to Apple to take my £99 for an as-new replacement.

And locally to me cheapest I can find to do the job, with no worthwhile guarantee is £70+, and I still would have a 5 year old iPad.

:beers:

PS - don't watch the video link unless you are really, really tired and can't sleep cos its  .... zzzzzzzzz :sleep:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Yes I definitely wouldn't advocate using those high street places, the number of people who've had their devices broken by them is massive! I did my son's iPad screen a few weeks ago, no idea why the guy in the video uses playing cards, you get perfectly reasonable tool kits with more suitable tools for pence (in fact every screen I've bought has included one).

£99 for Apple to do it is good, a reasonable choice indeed.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations