Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewalker

A couple of years ago my hours were reduced and so was my hourly rate. At the same time my wife was ill and her income dropped and then went to zero. My eldest son was ill as well and I had to keep taking time off (unpaid) for hospital visits. Our household income dropped by 50%. My wife eventually made it back to work for 3 months, then ended up in hospital, worked another few months and then had to quit completely. For three months from the middle of March, I was out of work. Money has been tight, debts have been a problem, we were looking at getting through Christmas okay, but having to be very careful as I'd be unpaid for almost a fortnight. Yesterday, I received two letters about a credit card I'd had from the '90s to two years ago (two because the card company had changed hands in 2009), telling me that they'd be sending me cheques totalling £24,500 in the next 28 days. Christmas is looking GOOD!

The Q

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 02, 2019, 04:13:04 PM
Today I printed out and posted a letter. The one giving HR my final date at work and early retirement. Dec 31st is my last day as a capitalist slave. Yay..... and I've got lots of holiday to use up before that date 8)

Now if it would just stop raining I might actually go out and celebrate, but it's a bit.. wet. In fact it's been so wet that the front fell off a house being repaired over the road in the last big storm, and the local hospital is best accessed by canoe today.

Alan
Congratulations..

1122 days to go for me, though it sounds better by saying 701 working days to go..
MS do a countdown retirement calculator APP :D

dannyboy

Quote from: stevewalker on November 07, 2019, 11:34:27 PM
they'd be sending me cheques totalling £24,500 in the next 28 days. Christmas is looking GOOD!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Steve. Still, a nice cheque(s) to look forward to. It's a pity that these companies are in a position where they have to repay the money - it should not have been taken in the first place! Of course, you could look on it as an enforced savings scheme that is now paying out.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

The Q

of course the government will say with that amount of money in the bank. you won't get any benefits..

jpendle

I've been having a bit of a rant on RMWEB.

It's been quite cathartic  :D

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

JBQFC

today was the first day i have been outside for 20 days  :D due to having Pneumonia and a colitis flare
so i went for a walk round our local nature reserve with the wife 26 types of birds spotted
has left me feeling a lot better even if the colitis is still playing me up a bit and still off work sick till Thursday  :bounce:

dannyboy

Insurance Quote

I received my household buildings and contents renewal the other day. So that puts me in the 'Unhappy' thread. I was quoted €507.89, up by about €140 from last year!  :thumbsdown:. So, I do what we all do (?) and started looking on line to compare prices. I found one with similar values of cover for €402. On the telephone straight away to the current insurer! Result is that I have now got a renewal quote of €415.87, which is €13.87 dearer, but this quote does include some new, (free?), scheme for emergencies that are not part of the main cover. So, I am quite happy with that. However, what would qualify this post for the 'Unhappy' thread is the fact that I had to spend 25 minutes on the internet and telephone to get the reduction - why could they not have quoted me the cheaper price in the first place? Actually, I do know the answer to that rhetorical question. But I am pleased with myself now.  :thumbsup:
David.

Skyline2uk

So how about this for service:

Saturday (whilst I was at Warley having open credit card surgery at the Revolution stand), Mrs Skyline was distressed to find her sapphire ring is now without a sapphire.

Despite frantic dismantling of the pipe work in my in-laws (less than 2 month old) bathroom, said gem is gone.

So after getting approval for a Poppylino, Mrs informs me the Gem needs replacing. Wallet is now on gas and air.

The ring in question was re-set from yellow gold to white gold earlier in the year, and whilst we could in no way prove this was the cause of the gem falling out, we take the ring back to the same small independent jewellery shop just in case they agreed to sort it at a reduced rate.

3 days later (today), wife gets a phone call saying the ring is repaired, new stone (which I think is nicer) installed FREE OF CHARGE!  :D

The guy who did the work also helped me design my wife's engagement ring and he is a gentleman.

So, if anybody finds themselves in Thornbury (for the Bristol Model Railway show for example), and needs something to "placate" the other half over another n gauge purchase....check out "Gems of Thornbury".

Well chuffed Skyline  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Skyline2uk

dannyboy

That is the second post I have read today talking about good service.  Good on that jeweller.  :thumbsup:
David.

Malc

Many years ago, my mother was down from the north for a few days. I noticed her cleaning the outside drain. I didn't say anything, but found out a few months later that she had lost the diamond out of her wedding ring whilst washing up. If she'd said at the time, I could have checked the u bend. But still, I got the drain cleaned.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

RailGooner

Don't leave us hanging Malc! Was the gem ever found?

Newportnobby

Sapphire, so good.

(Yeah - I know. The engine's running right now)

Malc

Quote from: RailGooner on November 27, 2019, 04:07:05 PM
Don't leave us hanging Malc! Was the gem ever found?
No she didn't find it and by the time I found out that it was missing, several weeks had past.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations