Dapol / Miller project HST model due 2016

Started by Railwaygun, September 26, 2015, 10:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

So that's better - Dapol can just respray their existing model. or if they don't take up this opportunity, we can.
Bob

davidinyork

I emailed Dapol, and this is their reply regarding the two-coach extra pack:

"Firstly I should say, the description is in error regarding the extra coach pack. The two additional vehicles are actually the catering cars, they're offered separately as, although they will be finished to match the remainder
of the vehicles, they will be our standard catering car and unlike the mk3 carriages they will not be correct for the model. "

I also asked whether they were likely to produce 41001 as preserved with its three Mk3s, to which the reply was:

"Regarding the preserved version, it is possible that this maybe produced in due course."

Snowwolflair

You ask them the the same question and you get two different answers (see my earlier post

OR

They have caught on to the opportunity and are evolving their plans with time.

Mustermark

I think it's the latter... Joel seems keen to get things right for the model presentation. There are, of course, competing factors in terms of perfection, affordability, meeting the threshold to go ahead, and making money for the Miller project.  I think Dapol has had feedback and is trying to match expectations of this iconic N gauge project while balancing the various factors for success.

I hope it goes ahead, then I can bin my humble homemade effort.  Imperfect catering coaches seems a reasonable compromise, and I know a few of us already expressed that opinion to Joel. Better that than no catering coaches. Pristine grey/blue will look the part, and the incorrect details will be hard to spot.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

red_death

Doing a set of the current preserved set could be significantly easier for Dapol - the 3 Mk3s running with the power car are production Mk3s rather than the different prototype Mk3s.

Which reminds me I must get my expression of interest to Dapol.

Cheers, Mike

davidinyork

Quote from: red_death on April 06, 2016, 04:13:19 PM
Doing a set of the current preserved set could be significantly easier for Dapol - the 3 Mk3s running with the power car are production Mk3s rather than the different prototype Mk3s.

Which reminds me I must get my expression of interest to Dapol.

Cheers, Mike

Yes, but the TSO is a Mk3a so has the different roof vents (which Dapol have never done yet - all their Mk3a models have the wrong roof).

red_death

But Dapol have already said they will do the correct roof for the prototype Mk3s (which will suit Mk3a as well).

Cheers, Mike

davidinyork

Quote from: red_death on April 06, 2016, 04:39:50 PM
But Dapol have already said they will do the correct roof for the prototype Mk3s (which will suit Mk3a as well).

Cheers, Mike

The vents are the same on prototypes and Mk3as, but aren't the roof hatches different?

Railwaygun

Quote from: cazadoom on March 21, 2016, 03:21:26 PM
Hi all

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=154#.VvAHwsunzqA2

Seems like expressions of interest

10 car train 2 power cars and firsts an second mk3s only no buffet as too expensive

£349.99

Needs 700 people

Cheers

Callum

Dapol Expression of Interest form
-------------------------------------
(From MRExpress)

From Dapol:
Dapol  and Miller Trust  HST Prototype Project

We released details of the N Gauge HST Prototype project over the weekend at the Alexandra Place exhibition.

To determine if this project is viable, we are asking potential customers to register their interest by completing the Expression of Interest form, which can be found here:

http://dapol.co.uk/image/data/HST_specification (002).pdf

If it is easier and you are struggling to complete the form , please email the details required (your name, set(s) required, contact telephone number and if possible a contact email address to Dapol at sales@dapol.co.uk

Please note, we are not asking for money or deposits, the purpose of the registration is to see if there are enough people interested in the purchase to make the project viable and sensible. If we do not receive more than 700 Expressions of Interest, then we will not proceed. All registrants will be kept updated on progress of the project from finalisation of the design, production of tooling, engineering prototypes to the livery application. Once complete, the model can be purchased ether direct from the Miller Project or via the Dapol Website.

The project will involve the production of an all new Power car and correctly modelled coach tooling. The only matter of compromise will be the buffet as it was considered this would put too much cost on the set for one coach.

As detailed when first announced at Warley, all trade profits are being donated to the Miller Project for the continued upkeep of this incredibly important prototype.

It is now in potential customer's hands to see if this model is created. We will publish updates regularly on progress to reach the target expression total.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

woodbury22uk

The July 2016 edition of Rail Express reports that this model is to go ahead with a revision to the proposed pack contents:-

2 power cars

2 x 5 car sets of TS/TF and buffet. (corrected in the next post below).

It also says these will be the only prototype Mk3s as the tooling will be altered afterwards to ??????

Surely not Royal Train Mk3s.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

robert shrives

Sounds promising but might be slightly errored
2 car power car pack in less yellow fronts
2 car power car pack in more yellow - suited to test days

2 off 4 car coach packs  with all vehicles covered 2 X TH and 2 TS

Then a twin pack of RFMs doing best to be TRUK and TRSB prototypes   

The moulds for the coaches -without CDL bubbles and perhaps the other roof moulding allow creation of early loco hauled stock and pre CDL HST stock... interesting times...
The Royal and Dr Yellow options could only be generic stock due to the changes bought about over time, but would work for many....
cheers
Robert 

davidinyork

What Dapol are proposing sounds very sensible, I must say.

Vonzack

Well, that's one sale to me for a full HST-P  :claphappy:

Very happy with the options, seems like the packs are a very good fit for people's requests on this thread and the one on RMWeb.

davidinyork

Did somebody recently make up this term 'HST-P'? I've never seen it used apart from for this model - it is always the prototype HST or HSDT (High Speed Diesel Train). the -P suffix was only ever,so far as I am aware, applied to the electric version of the APT.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Crooked Spire on June 14, 2016, 09:07:58 PM
Specification from the Dapol site

The specification of the model is:

Power cars:
    • Operating lighting (inclusive of rear lamp, which can be overridden by a switch)
    • Flush Glazing
    • Highly detailed body, chassis and bogies.
    • NEM coupling pockets with Rapido and Ezi-shunt magnetic couplings inclusive.
    • DCC Ready (6 pin)
    • All wheel pick-up
    • Super-creep motor (Dummy car is un-motorised)
    • Available as two-car sets (1 x Motorised & 1 x Dummy)

• 2D-xxx-xxx Power Car Pack 1: Prototype passenger livery (DMBs: 41001 & 41002)
      • 2D-xxx-xxx Power Car Pack 2: Departmental (overall yellow ends DMBs: 975812 & 975813)

Coaches:
    • New Tooling
        • Recessed door handles
        • Without window bezels
        • Loco-Hauled type roof
        • Without CDL indicator blister
        • Buffers

• Light-bar ready
    • Fitted pickups
    • NEM Coupling pockets
    • Accessory pack.
    • Available as 2 x 4 car sets

• 2P-xxx-xxx Contents: 2 x TF (11000, 11001) and 2 x TS (12000, 12001)
        • 2P-xxx-xxx Contents: 2 x TF (11002, 11003) and 2 x TS (12002, 12003)

Catering Vehicles:
We have examined the possibility closely of producing the catering vehicles, and have taken the decision to produce these as a separate 2 car pack based on our existing Mk3 catering car and decorated in matching HST-P livery, but without any tooling modifications.Therefore the catering pack will be:
    • Dapol Mk3 Buffet car in matching HST-P livery
    • Lightbar ready
    • 2P-005-xxx 2 car Buffet Pack

• 10000 as Trailer Buffet (TRSB)
        • 10100 as Trailer Kitchen (TRUK)

Therefore in order to own a full HST-P set you will need the following:
1 x 2D-xxx-xxx (Power cars)
1 x 2P-xxx-xxx (Saloon pack 1)
1 x 2P-xxx-xxx (Saloon pack 2)
1 x 2P-xxx-xxx (Buffet pack)

Hi

I must be missing something but I can't see this on the Dapol website.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%