N Gauge GWR King Class

Started by NGS-PO, November 09, 2019, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: chrism on June 19, 2022, 12:24:08 PM

Washout plugs, if you mean the several in rows above and below the handrails.

That's what I meant! Thanks. I can sound knowledgeable again now.
Bob

Bigmac

Quote from: Bob G on June 19, 2022, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: PLD on June 19, 2022, 11:28:51 AM
IIRC, wasnt the same chassis and the same metal body casting (boiler, firebox, cab) used for the King, Castle and Hall just with different plastic mouldings for the smokebox and cylinders?
(Perpetuating the myth of all GWR locos being the same appart from the name  ::) )

Well I do wish the comment in brackets was true, but I'm not sure the Hall and the Castle were the same bodies.
In fact, looking back at the 2005 Farish catalogue, the front footplate area of all three are in fact different, but so are the little circular things on the outside of the firebox of all three bodies (I cant remember what they are called at the moment) so perhaps Ramsey's is wrong too (surely not :) )

The best looking loco of that era is the rebuilt MN of 1997, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

HTH
Bob

ive just been and looked--all 3 bodies are very different in several respects
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Hailstone

I have 3 Graham Farish kings, one in 1948 blue one in early emblem green and one in late crest green the first 2 are single chimneyed, the green one, a king John modified with a Chinese made smokebox with larger single chimney. all of them have had their bogies modified with the wheelsets replaced with Farish spoked wagon wheelsets with the points filed off. this makes such a difference to the look of the loco. by the way, the spring will no longer fit, but leaving it out doesn't result in the loss of stability. I wish that I could claim that I thought of this, but it was another member of the forum that posted this modification and I followed suit. mechanical lubricators have also been added where appropriate.
Any new King model now will have to be outstanding before I put any money down

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations